The Student Room Group

gay/bi muslims

any gay/bi muslims here ? it would be nice to speak to some people going through the same situation as me and know how they've been dealing with it. im a gay man so it would be nice to speak to other gay/ bi muslim guys but hearing from girls would be comforting as well

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
any gay/bi muslims here ? it would be nice to speak to some people going through the same situation as me and know how they've been dealing with it. im a gay man so it would be nice to speak to other gay/ bi muslim guys but hearing from girls would be comforting as well

I am not an expert but i don't think you can be a homosexual and muslim.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
I am not an expert but i don't think you can be a homosexual and muslim.

Anybody can be gay. It might be against certain faiths, but the individual is born the way he is or becomes. It must be very difficult and very lonely for men who come from strict Muslim families. I hope the guy finds somebody that feels the same and can help support him.
Reply 3
Cant be homosexual and muslim.

Every religion, every country has it's share of gay men and women. It is nature and religious beliefs do not change that.
Cant be homosexual and muslim.

Yes you can. Even in Islam it’s only the homosexual act which is a sin so you can be a man attracted to other men who never acts on the desire. And even if you did have gay sex that would just mean you’ve sinned, it wouldn’t make you not Muslim. I believe only shirk (and possibly making takfir in certain contexts) takes you out of the fold of Islam.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Yes you can. Even in Islam it’s only the homosexual act which is a sin so you can be a man attracted to other men who never acts on the desire. And even if you did have gay sex that would just mean you’ve sinned, it wouldn’t make you not Muslim. I believe only shirk (and possibly making takfir in certain contexts) takes you out of the fold of Islam.

No offence but that’s deluded. Nobody cares if one is heterosexual or homosexual unless they act on that desires. Besides, it is pointless to claim to be part of a fold that does not want you there.
Original post by AlanRM3
Every religion, every country has it's share of gay men and women. It is nature and religious beliefs do not change that.

It does not…
Reply 7
Religion wastes your life. Your religion says you can't have love and sex so you will be sad
No offence but that’s deluded. Nobody cares if one is heterosexual or homosexual unless they act on that desires. Besides, it is pointless to claim to be part of a fold that does not want you there.

It’s not deluded, it’s fact. Whether other people care isn’t the point, it’s your attraction that makes you straight or gay and never acting on those desires doesn’t mean you don’t have a sexuality. And again, acting on those desires doesn’t take you out of Islam and there’s nothing in scripture to support this. Moreover, whether other Muslims want you or not in Islam is irrelevant, there are specific conditions you have to satisfy to be cast out of the faith and having gay sex is not one of them.
It’s not deluded, it’s fact. Whether other people care isn’t the point, it’s your attraction that makes you straight or gay and never acting on those desires doesn’t mean you don’t have a sexuality. And again, acting on those desires doesn’t take you out of Islam and there’s nothing in scripture to support this. Moreover, whether other Muslims want you or not in Islam is irrelevant, there are specific conditions you have to satisfy to be cast out of the faith and having gay sex is not one of them.

I disagree
I disagree

Irrelevant, your opinion isn’t based on scripture. It’s only specific sins that take you out of Islam, not general sinning (under which gay sex falls). Otherwise there wouldn’t be a single Muslim on earth.
I disagree

I also disagree. Gay sex is a major sin in Islam, alongside shirk (worshipping anyone other than Allah) To act on these desires would indeed take you out of the fold of the religion.

The Quran and hadith directly refer to this through the people of Prophet Lut. Please don't spread misinformation.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by hyacinth77
I also disagree. Gay sex is a major sin in Islam, alongside shirk (worshipping anyone other than Allah) To act on these desires would indeed take you out of the fold of the religion.

The Quran and hadith directly refer to this through the people of Prophet Lut. Please don't spread misinformation.

That’s my understanding too.
Original post by hyacinth77

Any old major sin in and of itself doesn’t take you out of Islam, and gay sex doesn’t with there being no scriptural evidence of this so it’s you spreading misinformation. Being punished for a major sin isn’t the same as declaring you’re no longer a Muslim.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 14
We have not done much to help the OP, who no doubt feels isolated and lonely. I am not Muslim myself, but I should be very surprised if there is not an LGBT group which offers support, and I would suggest he contacts Gay Switchboard. Anyway, I wish him all the best and hope he finds friendship and acceptance
Original post by AlanRM3
We have not done much to help the OP, who no doubt feels isolated and lonely. I am not Muslim myself, but I should be very surprised if there is not an LGBT group which offers support, and I would suggest he contacts Gay Switchboard. Anyway, I wish him all the best and hope he finds friendship and acceptance

Well tbf the OP hasn’t posted anything else or replied to anyone which is sadly typical of a lot of these threads.
Reply 16
Well tbf the OP hasn’t posted anything else or replied to anyone which is sadly typical of a lot of these threads.

I guess he feels we haven't been able to help him, though. It is sad that religions - whichever they are - feel the need to interfere in the bedroom, and make people feel bad about themselves through dogma.
Original post by AlanRM3
I guess he feels we haven't been able to help him, though. It is sad that religions - whichever they are - feel the need to interfere in the bedroom, and make people feel bad about themselves through dogma.

Not necessarily, I've seen many of these threads where a lot of useful advice is given and still the OP never returns to respond to anyone. But I agree that giving false information such as “you can’t be gay and Muslim” is harmful and denies the real life situation OP finds himself in.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 18
Honestly, the replies were just dismissive as **** and just shows how ****ed up this religion is. I didn't choose to be this way and im not harming anyone but these narrow minded people will never listen. that's okay, there's no point letting their words effect me. tbh, i was hoping someone who was gay and muslim could reply but so far none have. he first few replies were just making fun of me which made me anxious so i just stopped looking
Not necessarily, I've seen many of these threads where a lot of useful advice is given and still the OP never returns to respond to anyone. But I agree that giving false information such as “you can’t be gay and Muslim” is harmful and denies the real life situation OP finds himself in.
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly, the replies were just dismissive as **** and just shows how ****ed up this religion is. I didn't choose to be this way and im not harming anyone but these narrow minded people will never listen. that's okay, there's no point letting their words effect me. tbh, i was hoping someone who was gay and muslim could reply but so far none have. he first few replies were just making fun of me which made me anxious so i just stopped looking

I'm sorry people have been so cruel and tried to deny your existence, that's simply horrible. I'd say finding a gay Muslim on this website is probably going to be fairly difficult, much less one who's willing to post, even if under anonymous. I don't want to assume but I imagine it's difficult because I do know that Muslim families and communities as a rule are generally significantly more conservative than their Western counterparts and so a Muslim from these who comes out as gay and/or chooses to have gay sex, same sex partner and so on often risks being completely ostracised and disowned by their entire family and the community at large. And I assume most of said individuals don't want to lose all contact with their parents, siblings, friends etc., but at the same time it must also be incredibly challenging to never be able to live your life openly for fear of losing everyone. There's usually very little middle ground in Muslim communities: either you come out and are completely rejected or you have to keep it a secret forever to remain part of the community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending