The Student Room Group

Religious people!Would you send your children to a gay to straight conversion teraphy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XcitingStuart
I never thought that, so don't use that pronoun "we". :smile:

"We" as humans collectively. It is a figure of speech.There are many things we believe now as fact that will be disproven 40 years down the line. It is, indeed, a "we".
Is that said in jest?

Lol no
Original post by emerl98
Lol no

That says a lot about you
(and for clarification, not in a good light.) :h:
That says a lot about you
(and for clarification, not in a good light.) :h:

This question is aimed at religious people. As a religious person, I need to follow my religion. My religion looks down on homosexuality and so I should do the best I can to uphold its views. As a person, I have nothing against gay people, I just disagree with their decision to be gay.
Original post by emerl98
This question is aimed at religious people. As a religious person, I need to follow my religion. My religion looks down on homosexuality and so I should do the best I can to uphold its views. As a person, I have nothing against gay people, I just disagree with their decision to be gay.

And this exemplifies ignorance.

Let me correct:
As a person, you follow your religion. That's kind of like (is, I think) circular reasoning you used there.
There's no obligations like that in life.
The religion you follow looks down on homosexuality (let's work on that premise), and you try to uphold its views the best (there's no "should" to it). Also, you try to uphold views which hurt people for something which doesn't hurt anything, so is morally wrong, I believe, and I'm not afraid to disagree with you and say it.
Homosexuals don't choose to be gay, and as there is no reason to believe this, this is actually mocking all those who have committed suicide because they couldn't change that aspect about themselves. Do you really think people would choose to be gay in this moral climate?

Now, just as a side note, two genes have been shown to be a factor in male homosexuality, and epigenetics, or gene expression, for the foetus in the mother's womb has been shown to be another, in both sexes this time. Neither of those do the homosexuals have any influence over. They're born gay.

Honestly, I'm predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual, and if I could, I'd choose to have equal attractions to both sexes, as it causes a myriad of complications to be sexually attracted, but necessarily romantically attracted to one, or vice versa.

Also, these "therapies" hurt them, so even if your religion disagreed with them, how can you go send them to pain, which won't even work? How bloody cruel can people get?
Original post by parrot16
Well you can. If there is a murderer going around killing people, we can't tell them to carry on doing what they want to because "They are who they are", we have to stop them or send to therapy.
Admirable application of logic; have a cookie.
And this exemplifies ignorance.

Let me correct:
As a person, you follow your religion. That's kind of like (is, I think) circular reasoning you used there.
There's no obligations like that in life.
The religion you follow looks down on homosexuality (let's work on that premise), and you try to uphold its views the best (there's no "should" to it). Also, you try to uphold views which hurt people for something which doesn't hurt anything, so is morally wrong, I believe, and I'm not afraid to disagree with you and say it.
Homosexuals don't choose to be gay, and as there is no reason to believe this, this is actually mocking all those who have committed suicide because they couldn't change that aspect about themselves. Do you really think people would choose to be gay in this moral climate?

Now, just as a side note, two genes have been shown to be a factor in male homosexuality, and epigenetics, or gene expression, for the foetus in the mother's womb has been shown to be another, in both sexes this time. Neither of those do the homosexuals have any influence over. They're born gay.

Honestly, I'm predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual, and if I could, I'd choose to have equal attractions to both sexes, as it causes a myriad of complications to be sexually attracted, but necessarily romantically attracted to one, or vice versa.

Also, these "therapies" hurt them, so even if your religion disagreed with them, how can you go send them to pain, which won't even work? How bloody cruel can people get?

Maybe the the two types of therapies we are talking about are different. If we are talking about seeing a psychological therapist, then yes. I dunno where you got pain from but I think you were talking about something else.

you try to uphold its views the best (there's no "should" to it).

Of course no one is perfect, therefore no matter how much I try I cannot perfectly follow all of the rules that my religion has set. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to follow them.

As for homosexuality not being a choice, that can't be applied to everyone. Sure, you can't help who you love, but I don't think that's down to biology. I know of some people who started out gay and have turned straight and completely lost their attraction for men. It works both ways, biology may play some part but its definitely not enough of one to draw such a conclusion.
Hinduism isn't homophobic.
Original post by steeplings
Hinduism isn't homophobic.

Ironic isn't it.

The Dharmic religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism) don't contain homophobic verses in the scriptures of authority and yet many Hindus, Jains and Sikhs (and often those from India) are sometimes repulsed by the idea of someone being gay.

Even more ironic, homosexuals and transgenders were well respected and in positions of power in Indian society right up to just before the British Empire. Then came the British Raj's laws against homosexuals.

Sadly independent India has not got rid of that colonial hangover yet which it needs to do!
Original post by eoe
Regardless of how much you disagree with homosexuality,I will say it and keep saying it: people are born gay.

No conclusive scientific evidence to prove that.
Reply 150
Original post by TSR Mustafa
No conclusive scientific evidence to prove that.

I am gay and I know I was born this way.
I think sexual orientation is caused by your neurological structure, and not your genes. This is what I personally think. Secondly, there is also no scientific evidence that SSA are picked up by the environment.
You may post articles which may promote the idea of nurture causing SSA, but I can provide you articles which claim genes do.
So there is no conclusion.
Original post by eoe
I am gay and I know I was born this way.
I think sexual orientation is caused by your neurological structure, and not your genes. This is what I personally think. Secondly, there is also no scientific evidence that SSA are picked up by the environment.
You may post articles which may promote the idea of nurture causing SSA, but I can provide you articles which claim genes do.
So there is no conclusion.

How do you know you were born this way?
Reply 152
How do you know you were born this way?

From a young age, I knew that I had fondness for man.
During my growing up period I did not experience any kind of rape or sex abuse. I had a normal healthy childhood. I was not exposed to nudity or any such, in fact I am a Muslim so you can imagine that I had a pretty good childhood.
If I ask you , if you were born straight?
I mean its something you know that you were born with.
Original post by eoe
From a young age, I knew that I had fondness for man.
During my growing up period I did not experience any kind of rape or sex abuse. I had a normal healthy childhood. I was not exposed to nudity or any such, in fact I am a Muslim so you can imagine that I had a pretty good childhood.
If I ask you , if you were born straight?
I mean its something you know that you were born with.

I guess so , i'd say its a norm tho. Do you think your orientation stems from your lack of female exposure?

Curious
Reply 154
I guess so , i'd say its a norm tho. Do you think your orientation stems from your lack of female exposure?

Curious

As I said it is smth you were born with
If a lack of female exposure was the reason for SSA then I guess a lot of gays would exist in Saudi Arabia.
Original post by eoe
As I said it is smth you were born with
If a lack of female exposure was the reason for SSA then I guess a lot of gays would exist in Saudi Arabia.

Lol maybe they're just hiding , if your gay and live in Saudi Arabia , your heads taking a trip.
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Ofcourse not, I never said that. That is natural selection. I have family friends who can't have children.

I am only stating that if its okay to be gay, then everyone could do it. The reality is, consequences of such an event would be disastrous.

But that's the point, not everyone "can do it" because it isn't a choice.
Original post by Jaaneman Tu Mera
Honest answers

NO . ( i have been to Christian camps ( not conversion lol)and some can be amazing but some can be a bad experience in depends on the camp leader really) I am Christian and I don't think that would be the best thing for him/her if he/she wants to go then yes but if the do not I will not force them because it may make them feel as if their mother may be ashamed of who they are. They may feel ashamed of who they are and it may ruin their self image. I don't think it is the best if they were like that since they were born I will accept it as part of their identity . It's their walk with God not mine ( assuming the child is a grown adult 18 and above) and I cannot force things onto them especially when their sexuality is part of them to me it's like telling a black child to bleach their skin because you want a lighter complexion but you don't know what the child wants . I will love them regardless of who they are . My personal opinion. Pls no hate or saying I'm a soft Christian .I am a Christian but I believe you must teach Gods word through love first otherwise you will drive people away from us. That ( conversion camp) doesn't sound like love to me.
(edited 6 years ago)
No one would choose to be disowned, hated or punished for their sexuality just as no one would choose to be gay??
Also, whatever the **** makes the person gay, at the end of the day its a ****ing person. You have your own life, they have theirs. Im tired of other people dictating other people lives or parents trying to 'turn their kids back' straight. Get on with your own life and shut up. It doesn't affect you

Quick Reply

Latest