The Student Room Group

Oxford A101 Graduate Medicine 2016

Scroll to see replies

Oh cool I've applied to birmingham, Nottingham and Liverpool. Did you do the gamsat last year? I wasn't going to do gamsat... Last minute decision. Sorry I don't know how to reply to individual posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Catherine1193
Oh cool I've applied to birmingham, Nottingham and Liverpool. Did you do the gamsat last year? I wasn't going to do gamsat... Last minute decision. Sorry I don't know how to reply to individual posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile

To reply to an individual message just click the orange reply button in their post :smile: I sat the GAMSAT in March. Just heard on the GAMSAT thread that Notts are sending interview offers next week! I hope that's true, really want to hear back now
I want to hear back too! I'm dying to get these results now. It should be tomorrow or Friday but that seems far too long. Which is your top choice?
Reply 23
I want to hear back too! I'm dying to get these results now. It should be tomorrow or Friday but that seems far too long. Which is your top choice?

We're in an Oxford thread, take a wild guess :wink:

Second choice Notts, Third Liverpool and finally I really really don't want to go to Swansea but will if I have too.
Fair enough but I joined a Liverpool thread and that's not my first choice :wink: I feel that way about Birmingham. Will go if I have to but it's my last choice. I chose it as it has no entrance exams so it was my backup as I've never sat bmat or gamsat before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
*clutches heart* As a grad of birmingham medical school (medical neuroscience) I can tell you that it is great there. Teaching is really good and I liked being off campus in a medical world bubble away from the students that bitch about having 3 contact hours a week is too stressful (I genuinely overheard that). They told me not to waste a choice as I only have a 2:1. *sigh*

The Oxford comment was purely aimed at the fact that Oxbridge in general is nearly always the top choice. I'm also in the Liverpool thread. Someone needs to start a Notts one really too, esp as interviews may well be coming out next week - god I hope that is true!
Original post by neuronerd
*clutches heart* As a grad of birmingham medical school (medical neuroscience) I can tell you that it is great there. Teaching is really good and I liked being off campus in a medical world bubble away from the students that bitch about having 3 contact hours a week is too stressful (I genuinely overheard that). They told me not to waste a choice as I only have a 2:1. *sigh*

The Oxford comment was purely aimed at the fact that Oxbridge in general is nearly always the top choice. I'm also in the Liverpool thread. Someone needs to start a Notts one really too, esp as interviews may well be coming out next week - god I hope that is true!

ah we should start one :smile: thats interesting that they wont consider you as they did say they do consider high 2:1 ... and you went there so they should know your capabilities! but oh well. I was lucky enough to get a 1:1 from Surrey. Next week sounds so soon for interviews notifications. i dont feel prepared. Im just dreading it as when i applied leaving college my interviews went so badly so im expecting the same or worse this time around.
Reply 27
So I've just been talking to a friend of a friend who is a current 1st year.

BMAT results - not as important as the undergrad! As long as you don't totally bomb it you should be ok. People on the course have in some cases slightly below average scores.

Interview invites went out one week before the interview! So expect invites to be sent ~11th Dec for interviews over the 2 days 17/18th Dec.

Interviews are intense, with two panels of 2 people in each college. (So 4 interviews total.)

I can't believe we have to wait until the week before! Arrrrgh.
So 2 interviews at each college?! Ergghhhh I don't know if Il get through that? Did they mention what the content may be. I mean I know they are going to push us but I don't know how to prepare! I only finished my degree and I feel like I've lost half my brain already like what's this again?! I know I would of done poorly on bmat so if I do get offered an interview I need to prepare well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
So 2 interviews at each college?! Ergghhhh I don't know if Il get through that? Did they mention what the content may be. I mean I know they are going to push us but I don't know how to prepare! I only finished my degree and I feel like I've lost half my brain already like what's this again?! I know I would of done poorly on bmat so if I do get offered an interview I need to prepare well

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems to differ dependant on your background. Make sure you read your personal statement and know it inside out! She said they mostly wanted to get a feel for how you think/learn, how you react to things and your personality.
Reply 30
Goodbye Oxford. Shame I won't be coming back. *sigh*

(BMAT: 5.9, 3.6, 4A. DAMN YOU MATHS!)
S1 6.4, S2 4.9, S3 3.5A, any hope do we reckon?
I literally have no idea how they use the BMAT scores?! But if you aren't hopeful (neuronerd) then I'm not sure I can be either... 5.7, 4.3 and 3.5A
Reply 33
Didn't do well
Literally in shock.

Essays are usually my strong point and I thought that I had written an awesome essay. I probably should get a remark but with 4.5 in the other sections I have no hope anyway!
(edited 8 years ago)
i did shockingly- but i knew that when i cam out of the exam because i just could not keep time on the day. Also thought my essay was good but hey ho. guess il have to rely on my gamsat score for liverpool and birmingham. 3.1,3.4, 3A
It looks like the marks generally are lower than last year. Do you reckon the cut off will be any lower or will there still be enough crazily intelligent people that get above last years cut off that they don't need to? Think the average offer holder score was 67% on last years results
Reply 36
They are a fair bit lower than last year (looking at the 2015 spread of scores compared to 2014) however it's really mythical how Oxford use the BMAT for grads. I wish they told us more specifically what they are looking for! Also the 67% thing is for undergraduates, no admissions statistics are given for the A101 annoyingly.

Regardless, I don't think my 3.6 in the science section is going to get me there. According to the scores pdf that puts me in the bottom 27% of scores for section 2. Even though my other sections were fine nothing is going to make up for that!
Reply 37
Anyone else receive a 'you're likely to be called for interview' email?
😁😁😁😁
Original post by Fevaz
😁😁😁😁

wow congrats! i didn't coz i flopped the bmat
Reply 39
Original post by Fevaz
😁😁😁😁

Yes! I thought my subpar BMAT essay score (2.5) might have lost it for me... Just out of curiosity, did your email say you're likely to be called for interview, or did it say you are very likely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending