The Student Room Group

As level physics question help

image.jpg How would you solve Q8? Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samhil
image.jpg How would you solve Q8? Thank you!

Think about what would the apparent weight be if the astronaut was in a rocket accelerating upwards at a rate equal to 5g in zero gravity?
Reply 2
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Think about what would the apparent weight be if the astronaut was in a rocket accelerating upwards at a rate equal to 5g in zero gravity?

Would they not appear to be weightless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samhil
Would they not appear to be weightless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. They would appear to be weightless if the rocket wasn't accelerating in the absence of gravitational fields (which is fairly intuitive). But the question assumes not only that the rocket is in a gravitational field, but also that it's taking of (accelerating upwards) from the surface of the earth.

@samhill: Post edited
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
It depends. They would appear to be weightless if the rocket wasn't accelerating in the absence of gravitational fields (which is fairly intuitive). But the question assumes that the rocket is taking of (accelerating upwards) from the surface of the earth.

Ah right! So as the rocket is accelerating, then the weight force of the astronaut decreases because the gravitational pull from the earth gets weaker? I'm sorry if that makes no sense as I'm still a bit new to these concepts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samhil
Ah right! So as the rocket is accelerating, then the weight force of the astronaut decreases because the gravitational pull from the earth gets weaker? I'm sorry if that makes no sense as I'm still a bit new to these concepts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right in thinking that the gravitational pull decreases as the astronaut is going away from the surface of the earth but the decrease in gravitational pull would be very small to be significant here and so can be neglected.

You know that a resultant force is required to accelerate a body, according to Newton's second Law F=ma, even if the body is in the absence of the gravitational fields. Therefore, in the case of an astronaut, before the take off of the rocket the weight of the astronaut is 750N and so when the rocket is taking off (accelerating upwards) there must be an external resultant force accelerating the astronaut. This external resultant force will appear to add to the weight of the astronaut if they were to stand on a scale in the rocket because bodies resist motion or change in motion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
You are right in thinking that the gravitational pull decreases as the astronaut is going away from the surface of the earth but the decrease in gravitational pull would be very small to be significant here and so can be neglected.

You know that a resultant force is required to accelerate a body, according to Newton's second Law F=ma, even if the body is in the absence of the gravitational fields. Therefore, in the case of an astronaut, before the take off of the rocket the weight of the astronaut is 750N and so when the rocket is taking off (accelerating upwards) there must be an external resultant force accelerating the astronaut. This external resultant force will appear to add to the weight of the astronaut if they were to stand on a scale in the rocket because bodies resist motion or change in motion.

Oh right, I think I'm beginning to understand it now! So how would you work it out? Would it be something like r-750 = 5g x mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samhil
Oh right, I think I'm beginning to understand it now! So how would you work it out? Would it be something like r-750 = 5g x mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When the rocket is not accelerating, the weight of the astronaut is W=mg. But when the rocket is accelerating upwards, the resultant force acting on the astronaut is F=ma.
Therefore the total force acting on the astronaut is:

F+W=ma+mg=m(a+g)

@samhill: Just to let you know that you don't need to find the mass of the astronaut to work out the final force. The fact that the acceleration is 5g means that the weight will be 5 times greater than the actual weight. Therefore the total weight is 6 times the actual weight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
When the rocket is not accelerating, the weight of the astronaut is W=mg. But when the rocket is accelerating upwards, the resultant force acting on the astronaut is F=ma.
Therefore the total force acting on the astronaut is:

F+W=ma+mg=m(a+g)

@samhill: Just to let you know that you don't need to find the mass of the astronaut to work out the final force. The fact that the acceleration is 5g means that the weight will be 5 times greater than the actual weight. Therefore the total weight is 6 times the actual weight.

Oh okay, thank you so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone can help me with AS physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swwet aish
anyone can help me with AS physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should post your question in the study help forum, here. What is it that you are stuck on?
Actually im ok with the theory ! I find hard to answer past paper questions i dont understand why :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually im ok with the theory ! I find hard to answer past paper questions i dont understand why :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe that's because you haven't grasped the theory quite well! Is there a question you have difficulty with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, where did the OP get the question from?
Idk i just find all the indirect questions hard to answer :frown: in physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaliBoy123

From a book called Practice in Physics I think.
Idk i just find all the indirect questions hard to answer :frown: in physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to develop a great understanding of the theory to be able to apply it elsewhere.
Yu meant that i should study the theory more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by MaliBoy123

It's from Muncaster's A-level Physics book :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yu meant that i should study the theory more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you should! It would be impossible not being able to apply your knowledge if you have understood the theory well enough.
Thanks for the help :smile: Do yu have anyone flash card or mind maps for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest