The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you know if computer science requires A level Maths? This really looks very interesting but i only got a solid B at GCSE, haven't done A level.
Reply 21
Original post by tashasalvatore1
my friend completed a law degree at DMU and the opportunities that she's had since getting that degree are incredible! People look at your degree at the end of the day, 'good' universities are always subject to change

Thanks, unsure if I will do Law but I certainly like the look of DMU, will go to the next open day in November :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Do you know if computer science requires A level Maths? This really looks very interesting but i only got a solid B at GCSE, haven't done A level.

it depends on the universities, however there's a significant number of RG universities that will take you without AL maths. these include: birmingham, leeds, newcastle, liverpool, nottingham, cardiff, QMUL, QUB, and KCL. nearly all the non RG universities will take you without AL maths excluding bath and st andrews. However I'd highly recommend you take maths to atleast AS level if possible.
If you want to work as a solicitor or barrister, then I'm afraid it does matter. Law is notoriously picky as a sector about which universities their trainees come from, with RG unis favoured. Chambers Student Guide published a very interesting document on where most trainees come from, which is worth a read - there was a very strong bias towards certain RG unis

Doing a STEM degree if you're not good at or interested in STEM subjects is a very bad idea - you're likely to end up miserable and with a 2:2 or third, which will harm your job prospects enormously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you want to work as a solicitor or barrister, then I'm afraid it does matter. Law is notoriously picky as a sector about which universities their trainees come from, with RG unis favoured. Chambers Student Guide published a very interesting document on where most trainees come from, which is worth a read - there was a very strong bias towards certain RG unis

Doing a STEM degree if you're not good at or interested in STEM subjects is a very bad idea - you're likely to end up miserable and with a 2:2 or third, which will harm your job prospects enormously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ATM, I'm intrested in accounting and finance or computer science but really can't decide which one. Also, I didn't do A level maths at A level so am hoping is isn't a problem. My math is still good though and I did get a solid B at GCSE
I think it really depends of what you're hoping to do after. If you're aiming for the top firms then it probably will matter but I found that, while my Law degree got me a few interviews locally, it was pretty much useless until I got some relevant work experience.
Original post by alexp98
ATM, I'm intrested in accounting and finance or computer science but really can't decide which one. Also, I didn't do A level maths at A level so am hoping is isn't a problem. My math is still good though and I did get a solid B at GCSE

It will only be a problem at those unis which explicitly require maths A Level, which is common but not universal for those subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Origami Bullets
It will only be a problem at those unis which explicitly require maths A Level, which is common but not universal for those subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, yeah. I've started making a list of all the top and realistic Uni's which don't require them and thankfully there are still a lot of top 35 ones that don't :smile:
Have you considered doing another degree and then doing a GDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Bloom77
Have you considered doing another degree and then doing a GDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is I didn't really want to be a solicitor or Lawyer anyway, I was just interesting in studying the subject but now have changed my mind due to talking to a lot of teachers and people fro this thread and will do a stem degree.
Original post by alexp98
The thing is I didn't really want to be a solicitor or Lawyer anyway, I was just interesting in studying the subject but now have changed my mind due to talking to a lot of teachers and people fro this thread and will do a stem degree.

Cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
To be blunt: it's a waste of money.
Even at a top uni, the chance youll get a good-paying job in law is small. You'll graduate and work in a menial job at a smaller law firm as most people do.
For a non-RG uni, it would be silly.
There are way too many law students - at RG unis alone, and not enough law jobs for them.
I would suggest Economics/Computer science/Mathematics/IT.. they wont let you down at any uni :smile:
Original post by loralai
To be blunt: it's a waste of money.
Even at a top uni, the chance youll get a good-paying job in law is small. You'll graduate and work in a menial job at a smaller law firm as most people do.
For a non-RG uni, it would be silly.
There are way too many law students - at RG unis alone, and not enough law jobs for them.
I would suggest Economics/Computer science/Mathematics/IT.. they wont let you down at any uni :smile:

This is a 4 year old thread, and suggesting people to do degree subjects that vary so much compared to Law is silly.

People should study what they actually want to study to maximise their chance of getting a 2:1/1st. A lot of graduate schemes don't even require a specific degree anyway, but instead focus on classification.

Thread closed - Please don't bump old threads.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending