The Student Room Group

can i have a good career with out going to a russel group

i applied to durham to study law but didn’t get in, i got aab and am now going to sussex. the issue is i’m studying law which will obviously be very competitive and i am concerned that with these grades and not going to a russel group i won’t have very good financial or career prospects. should i resit my a levels in order to have a better chance in the future???
In answer to your thread title 'hell, yes!'

Russell group is not the be all and end all.

What matters most is the quality of the degree pass you get and also any work experience you can get on your CV.

You'll be just fine and Brighton is an amzing place to be a student!
Reply 2
thank you that’s very reassuring :smile:

i’m just very concerned that i won’t have good financial prospects due to the cost of living crisis, so i’m unsure of what to do. is the better option to go to sussex?
Reply 3
Original post by 4everrwinterr
i applied to durham to study law but didn’t get in, i got aab and am now going to sussex. the issue is i’m studying law which will obviously be very competitive and i am concerned that with these grades and not going to a russel group i won’t have very good financial or career prospects. should i resit my a levels in order to have a better chance in the future???

What career do you want?
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
What career do you want?

to be a lawyer (probably barrister)
Sussex isn’t a very good uni for law. Non RG I would look at Leicester.
Law is very competitive so this will hamper you, particularly for the bar, unless you are willing to never earn any money and go to the criminal bar. But if you go somewhere with a good law department (even if the uni is not top ranked) and get a 1st your a levels will matter less.
Reply 6
[QUOTE="Morganmaestro;98746999"]Sussex isn’t a very good uni for law. Non RG I would look at Leicester.
Law is very competitive so this will hamper you, particularly for the bar, unless you are willing to never earn any money and go to the
Original post by Morganmaestro
Sussex isn’t a very good uni for law. Non RG I would look at Leicester.
Law is very competitive so this will hamper you, particularly for the bar, unless you are willing to never earn any money and go to the criminal bar. But if you go somewhere with a good law department (even if the uni is not top ranked) and get a 1st your a levels will matter less.

oh no are my chances truly this awful??? i accepted the sussex place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending