The Student Room Group

Advice on which uni to apply

I'm going to be applying for law in the next academic year ( currently on the last week of year 12). So i just want some unis that i have a solid shot can getting into. My GSCE are 666777788 ( A*A*AAAABBB). My A levels predicated for UCAS are A*A*A in psych sociology and biology. I have work experience in a law firm during summer, im reading law books, done MOOCS etc for my personal statement. I will also be studying the LNAT over summer. So if those are above average what UNIS are the best option
Original post by shehab1
I'm going to be applying for law in the next academic year ( currently on the last week of year 12). So i just want some unis that i have a solid shot can getting into. My GSCE are 666777788 ( A*A*AAAABBB). My A levels predicated for UCAS are A*A*A in psych sociology and biology. I have work experience in a law firm during summer, im reading law books, done MOOCS etc for my personal statement. I will also be studying the LNAT over summer. So if those are above average what UNIS are the best option

You can easily compare the top universities by looking at ranking tables for both the university overall and based on the subject. The standard offer for these universities tends to be around A*,A*,A and A*,A,A. The UCAS Hub has a really useful course finder suggesting the best options based on your predicted grades. One feature on this course finder that I would pay attention to is the student satisfaction rating. As I'm sure you've probably already been told, it's best to find universities with a range of entry requirements - some aspirational, achievable and an insurance. Some unis I would recommend looking into are Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Manchester and Bristol.
Reply 2
Original post by shehab1

Most people don’t achieve their predicted grades so it is standard to apply to some uni’s below your predictions as well as some in line with them.
I would say

2 from this list: Bristol, KCL, Durham, Nottingham. These should be the places you would make your firm choice if you were accepted. I would advise against unis like Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and UCL with your GCSEs.
2 from this list: Leeds, Newcastle, QMUL, Exeter. These should be places you would consider as a firm choice if your applications to the more competitive unis were unsuccessful.
1 from this list: SOAS, Sussex, Goldsmiths, City. These should be places you wouldn’t mind studying at (ie potential insurance choices)

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tommo15
Most people don’t achieve their predicted grades so it is standard to apply to some uni’s below your predictions as well as some in line with them.
I would say

2 from this list: Bristol, KCL, Durham, Nottingham. These should be the places you would make your firm choice if you were accepted. I would advise against unis like Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and UCL with your GCSEs.
2 from this list: Leeds, Newcastle, QMUL, Exeter. These should be places you would consider as a firm choice if your applications to the more competitive unis were unsuccessful.
1 from this list: SOAS, Sussex, Goldsmiths, City. These should be places you wouldn’t mind studying at (ie potential insurance choices)

hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for the great advice. I really think I have a good shot for Durham, and it’s a really great uni so that’s my aspirational choice. A few of my friends and family members have pushed me for Cambridge and some of my teachers, but I don’t really know if it’s worth it, any thoughts on that? However I also do want to apply to kcl or ucl as a choice. I obviously will only pick 2 aspirational choices, but I’m pushing more towards UCL. I meet the gsce requirement for it and I do have a language at grade 7( which I think they ask for). So any thoughts on that as well? Thank you!
'I obviously will only pick 2 aspirational choices'. Why is this obvious? They aren't even 'aspirational' choices. You meet the grade requirements. Ignore what Tommo said. They are hard to get into though of course - which is why the more you apply too, the greater the chance of getting in.

I would say pick at least 3 of the 'top' unis and either 1 or 2 of the lower rated RG unis that do not require LNAT.

The safest thing to do is to apply to two non-LNAT RG unis like Brum/Leeds/Notts/Manchester. Ignore the fact they are all A*AA grade requirements - the non-LNAT unis you can use as an insurance. They should accept you with at least AAA.
Then apply for 3 LNAT unis. You mentioned you wanted Durham, UCL, KCL so there is your three.

You do NOT need to apply to a uni outside the RG, even the good unis outside of it, as they will only be in clearing for law if on the small chance you don't get the grades you need.
You can look for yourself in clearing on A Level results day and you will see that I am correct. It is just a complete waste of an application spot applying for (let's face it) a rubbish uni.

If you want Oxbridge then I would apply. You have the profile to be considered for an interview at Oxbridge. If you don't want to go there, don't apply. Do not be pressured by family.

And don't apply to bloody Goldsmiths!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending