The Student Room Group

Let's introduce the quarterstaff in schools

Now there's a bonkers idea, I don't even dispute it. I do think it would be a lot of fun though, especially for more active children.

Besides, traditional English values and all that.
Reply 1
The teach kids kenjitsu in Japan
I agree
Quarter the number of staff in schools with low ofsted ratings until they start to improve :yep:
Have to agree this would be a good idea

A better one though would be 'Singlestick'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlestick
Reply 5
It's a good idea. I used to belong to a shillelagh club years ago. That was brutal. You needed more padding than a bomb disposal technician.
Original post by Howard
It's a good idea. I used to belong to a shillelagh club years ago. That was brutal. You needed more padding than a bomb disposal technician.

shillelagh is brutal but very effective
Reply 7
Original post by BaconandSauce
shillelagh is brutal but very effective

Yes. I even knew some people who used to drill into club end and fill it with lead to give it extra weight.

Really, nobody lasts long against a someone who has lost his temper armed with one of those things. It's a fun sport but you have to be protected from head to toe if you are serious about it.
Original post by Howard
Yes. I even knew some people who used to drill into club end and fill it with lead to give it extra weight.

Really, nobody lasts long against a someone who has lost his temper armed with one of those things. It's a fun sport but you have to be protected from head to toe if you are serious about it.

I have a very old game keepers stick that has had the same treatment. Weights a ton but you'd soon know if you'd been hit with it

But it's good to see someone keeping the old sports alive
Why stop there when you can have the full length? :smug:
Reply 10
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I agree

Love this guy
Reply 11
Original post by BaconandSauce
Have to agree this would be a good idea

A better one though would be 'Singlestick'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlestick

Brilliant. How did it ever die out?
Original post by llys
Brilliant. How did it ever die out?

I think it was just seen as old.

But I went to a old Victorian school where we were taught it for a few years if we wanted to learn it as a option to get us involved in fencing then 'heath and safety' got involved and it was stopped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending