The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Ouch! That's very bad, I would be made to underline key quotes and at least do a PEARS or just do quote and analysis on that specific stave.

It was. We did a bit of highlighting as we went along but only what we could do and keep up. We haven't really done PEEL paragraphs much throughout for some reason but we've got our assessment this week so we'll have to do some then.
Reply 61
Original post by Lemur14
It was. We did a bit of highlighting as we went along but only what we could do and keep up. We haven't really done PEEL paragraphs much throughout for some reason but we've got our assessment this week so we'll have to do some then.

Damn. I was just doing questions of A Christmas Carol Stave 5, it was pretty boring and History was again source work and she keeps making an excuse for not marking our assessment. She had the bloody weekend to do it and I'm guessing she will never mark it as when I come back after Christmas, there will be a new excuse. #Typical
Today I had double electronics, RE, English and biology.
In electronics we finished our screenshots and did a lesson of theory on potential dividers. Next lesson we're going to start making the box after the technician has laser cut them. I'm hoping it shouldn't take more than 2-3 double lessons to put the whole thing together and then one/two more to paint and polish etc.
In RE we didn't get our test results :frown: as the teacher was ill on Friday so didn't get to take them home. We're getting them on parents evening instead :smile: (Thursday). In English we did a piece of creative writing. It was till to do with ACC but it wasn't analysis. It's being marked with assessment criteria which I'm a bit nervous for because I feel like I did more narrating the story than answering the question but we'll see.
In biology we didn't do much. The teacher marked our books for the first time ever! Unfortunately all she did was write on all the sheets please stick in and on anything completed she wrote www (what went well) so it will look like she's done lots when in reality it probably took her all of 5 minutes per book. We did do a practical today (which was measure for one minute, wait for 5 minutes one) which I did write up but she didn't tell us to so hopefully that will give me bonus points on the grounds that I doubt many people did. (I regret doing it now though as she then gave us homework which she wasn't meant to today which is really annoying as I seem to have quite a bit somehow)

To do:
•Revise for ecdl (Thurs 10th - parents evening)
•Revise for chemistry test (Weds 6th Jan)
•Memorise task 8 for computing (Weds 9th)
•Watch the video for maths and write about it (Weds 9th)
•Complete my business 6 mark question (DONE)
•Complete my biology sheet (Thurs 10th)
•Complete my English factfile (Thurs 10th)
•Complete science notes (when possible)
•Complete investments for business (weekdays 9-4:30)
•Complete my choreography (when I can as the director doesn't seem to know what he wants so might change his mind again about if I'm doing it)
Today I had double history, double business and maths.
In history we did a bit about Hitler's aims and the action the League of Nations (didn't) take against him. In the second hour we did a source question in groups which was ok but a bit boring. In business we peer marked our six marker for homework then did a research task on merger. In the second hour we did our presentations of our research and started creating a Christmas charity which we're going to continue with on Thursday. In maths we did some more probability. We still haven't done many practice questions so I'll probably raise that at parents evening as practicing is the best method to learn maths.

My report was released online today. Most of it is good but my biology has gone down one sub grade (no evidence, I suspect it was done randomly considering she didn't even collect in our books til last week (the week after reports were due)) and RE has gone down on account of the test I messed up back in October. Hopefully I did better in the test we're getting back on parents evening or I might be in trouble.
On the other hand my computing has obviously had the other teacher doing my result this time and it has gone up to about where expected :smile: Will update my front page when I get the chance- doing my English homework now.
To do:
•Revise for business test after Christmas (date unconfirmed)
•Memorise task 8 for computing (Weds 9th)
•Watch the video for maths and write about it (Almost done :smile:)
•Complete my choreography (when I can as the director doesn't seem to know what he wants so might change his mind again about if I'm doing it)
Today I had double computing, chemistry, maths and PE
In computing, I finally finished my code !!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::dancing2:It took most of the two hours but it's now done and I don't have to anything else apart from finish the last few annotations and copy and paste everything onto my evidence file :smile: In chemistry, we had a supply teacher. We got given a textbook and a page number an told to write a report about it. As we'd never heard of it most people just wrote notes and drew the diagram so hopefully we'll go through it next lesson (and also hopefully our test will be put back a week so we have a week after Christmas to revise as well as the holidays where I just want to do my notes.
In maths we got a load of past questions and did a bit on probability venn diagrams. In PE we did dodgeball :smile: to Christmas music. It was really fun as we chose our teams and also our friends had exactly the right number so no-one was left out (normally that's me)

Have drama tonight so need to do my biology and English tonight
Got my paper copy of my report but I might leave it for tonight and just bring it tomorrow for parents evening as my RE grade was terrible and I want to give them the better grade which we're getting on parents evening (well should be better) as soon as I can after I show them the report

To do:
Reply 65
Original post by Lemur14
Today I had double computing, chemistry, maths and PE
In computing, I finally finished my code !!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::dancing2:It took most of the two hours but it's now done and I don't have to anything else apart from finish the last few annotations and copy and paste everything onto my evidence file :smile: In chemistry, we had a supply teacher. We got given a textbook and a page number an told to write a report about it. As we'd never heard of it most people just wrote notes and drew the diagram so hopefully we'll go through it next lesson (and also hopefully our test will be put back a week so we have a week after Christmas to revise as well as the holidays where I just want to do my notes.
In maths we got a load of past questions and did a bit on probability venn diagrams. In PE we did dodgeball :smile: to Christmas music. It was really fun as we chose our teams and also our friends had exactly the right number so no-one was left out (normally that's me)

Have drama tonight so need to do my biology and English tonight
Got my paper copy of my report but I might leave it for tonight and just bring it tomorrow for parents evening as my RE grade was terrible and I want to give them the better grade which we're getting on parents evening (well should be better) as soon as I can after I show them the report

To do:

Glad you've finished your code for computing, I'm still in a huge mess with my evidence documentation on word and I still need to get the code properly working which will take a lot of time. I'll update on my GYG thread about my day, especially PE. :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
Glad you've finished your code for computing, I'm still in a huge mess with my evidence documentation on word and I still need to get the code properly working which will take a lot of time. I'll update on my GYG thread about my day, especially PE. :biggrin:

You did start later and have had much less guidance. I wouldn't worry yet, it will probably do what mine did and suddenly fall together and start working. I still have to finish section 2 in my evidence document and then we're moving on to section 3 next term so I have 2 hours to kill next week with checking through the evidence and making sure it is completely organised (and helping others who aren't finished)
I thought something more exciting than swapping sport happened in PE by the way you said that lol
Just posted an update and it's got rid of it again :frown:
On Thursday had parents evening.
It went well (apart from my maths teacher was running really late) and I got a B this time in my RE which is my target grade so I'm happy.
In the day I had biology, ECDL, English, physics and businessIn biology we did purple pens in our books for 50 minutes! The problem was she hadn't actually given us anything to improve on so we mostly just sat there waiting to move on, but of course we didn't. With 10 minutes to go she stood up and started teaching lol. In ECDL, we were preparing for parents evening by redoing all the progress tests and giving ourselves target grades. In English we were preparing for our assessments despite the fact everything was unseen, we got given a revision booklet (which I had already found on the internet but the teacher had only found that morning lol) for themes, character and quote. It's actually really helpful :smile:In physics, we got told we have a test on Wednesday (just want I want before Christmas) and in the lesson we did potential and kinetic energy which was really simple as we just had to input numbers into a formula. In business, we finished off our charity events and presented them before watching the last 5 minutes of the apprentice (which I am extremely glad I watched on Wednesday night despite normally watching it at the weekend as it would have spoilt it).

On Friday, I had maths, English, PE, PSHE and history.
In maths, we did simple probability and not much else so it was really easy. In English we did our assessment which I think went quite well. I'm aiming for a B (about a 6) but expecting about a C (and 4/5). In PE we did dodgeball which was good particularly as our quite unsporty team won. Unfortunately at the end of the lesson the teacher mentioned doing something different next week and someone suggested dance :frown: which is annoying as the badminton group are continuing to do badminton and if we'd known we were going to spend half the time not doing dodgeball then we'd have picked badminton instead. In PSHE, we finished the lesson surprisingly early so I spent 25 minutes on my choreography which I've started again as the first attempt was too complicated. In history we had supply where we did a double sided revision sheet on the other peace treaties and the LoN and then a sheet on Hitler's rearming of Germany in 1933-1935.
Our teacher being off in history is really annoying as Tuesday is not going to be dreadful as I have 2 hours of debating about Syria, then 2 hours of supply, then an hour of English with a teacher I don't like and then biology catch-up (last one!).

This weekend I've done all my homework and Christmas shopping so now all I have to do is wrap up presents and write Christmas cards.

To do:
•Revise for physics (Weds 16th)
•Complete my maths homework (DONE)
Today I had double computing, ECDL, Chemistry and PE.
In computing, I had finished almost everything so all I had to do was tweak a few things and then I started on the next section and did a lot of helping others. Lots of people were panicking that they weren't going to get it done by Friday but I managed to nearly finish 2 different people's (doing it a different method to mine) from a very much not finished state :smile: In ECDL, we were allowed to sit where we wanted and listen to music. We got told to do some revision but in reality it meant talk to your friends and enter in some data into the spreadsheet that sir wanted answering. In chemistry we had 30 minutes to finish what we were doing last lesson plus a bit of extra stuff. Then we did atom economy which was once again easy maths. Then finally in PE we did do dodgeball :smile: because we had the other teacher. He asked us at the end if we wanted to do Christmas dance next lesson but as there was resistance and everyone is happy with dodgeball then we should be doing that (saying that, we have the first teacher so you never know).

Secret santa presents in tomorrow :smile: and I've done all my cards and presents for everyone so they're going in as well to brighten up my bad day.
On the bright side, the last week of Christmas term generally only has a few bits of homework so I should have plenty of time over Christmas to get revision notes done for year 9 and hopefully this term as well :smile:

To do:
•Revise for physics (Weds 16th)
•Complete any other subject notes (eg history, business etc.)
I don't have time for a proper update today and it's unlikely that I will tomorrow but I wanted to say that I got my English result back and I got 20/30 :smile: A big improvement on 13/30 which is what I had last time. We have to do another assessment on it after Christmas as some people didn't do very well but I'm happy with 20.
No updates for ages, sorry! I've been really busy, attempting to solve the cipher challenge and with a lot of homework :frown:
You can see my new update schedule on the first post which I've updated. I'll try my best to stick with it but it obviously is dependant on homework being done.

From now on I'm just going to write the important things about my day rather than a whole account as it's a lot quicker to type and I'm guessing easier to read as well (if there are any readers).
So, since my last update:

I've done my physics test and got my result- 77% (top of class was 79%)

I've done my chemistry test and self marked it - 91% (yay A*)

2 supply lessons on Thursday - biology and English - where in biology we did much more than usual (lol, probably because the work was set by the head of science) and in English, where the HOD couldn't understand the work set so decided we could do a practice essay on ACC again (so lucky teacher who gets to mark an extra one)

Mock exam in ECDL (with no warning!). I was doing well until my computer crashed and I spent 15 minutes trying to sort it out so I'm a bit behind now. We will finish the mock next week then revision, then a second mock before the real exam in about 4 weeks or so.

Started section 3 (programming techniques) of out CA in computing. It's quite confusing(as the other sections were but I'm sure we'll get it eventually! The teachers want it finished by half-term (I think that's 12 hours lesson time) but I reckon we'll get at least another 2 hours after half-term for finishing off.

Changed to netball in PE (brrr cold)

To do:

Science notes

Business investments

History notes

Business revision

Thank you letters for Christmas!

I've done all my homework for once :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Lemur14
No updates for ages, sorry! I've been really busy, attempting to solve the cipher challenge and with a lot of homework :frown:
You can see my new update schedule on the first post which I've updated. I'll try my best to stick with it but it obviously is dependant on homework being done.

From now on I'm just going to write the important things about my day rather than a whole account as it's a lot quicker to type and I'm guessing easier to read as well (if there are any readers).
So, since my last update:

I've done my physics test and got my result- 77% (top of class was 79%)

I've done my chemistry test and self marked it - 91% (yay A*)

2 supply lessons on Thursday - biology and English - where in biology we did much more than usual (lol, probably because the work was set by the head of science) and in English, where the HOD couldn't understand the work set so decided we could do a practice essay on ACC again (so lucky teacher who gets to mark an extra one)

Mock exam in ECDL (with no warning!). I was doing well until my computer crashed and I spent 15 minutes trying to sort it out so I'm a bit behind now. We will finish the mock next week then revision, then a second mock before the real exam in about 4 weeks or so.

Started section 3 (programming techniques) of out CA in computing. It's quite confusing(as the other sections were but I'm sure we'll get it eventually! The teachers want it finished by half-term (I think that's 12 hours lesson time) but I reckon we'll get at least another 2 hours after half-term for finishing off.

Changed to netball in PE (brrr cold)

To do:

Science notes

Business investments

History notes

Business revision

I've done all my homework for once :smile:

I've got my next assessment W/B 25th January and I'm worried about my P1 as I'm going to get the equations mixed up. Will do a practice one later next week once I finish with P1.6 .
Original post by JTran38
I've got my next assessment W/B 25th January and I'm worried about my P1 as I'm going to get the equations mixed up. Will do a practice one later next week once I finish with P1.6 .

We get an equation sheet for physics which makes it a lot easier as then you just have to work out which ones are on the sheet and only learn the remaining ones. I can give a go at helping with physics if you give me a topic apart from the one topic I really can't do is the last one in P1 as we covered it in a complete rush to try and finish P1 and I didn't really get it.
What I find easiest to remember equations is to where possible have them in one of those triangles (like speed = distance over time) so they're easy to rearrange when necessary.
Reply 74
Original post by Lemur14
We get an equation sheet for physics which makes it a lot easier as then you just have to work out which ones are on the sheet and only learn the remaining ones. I can give a go at helping with physics if you give me a topic apart from the one topic I really can't do is the last one in P1 as we covered it in a complete rush to try and finish P1 and I didn't really get it.
What I find easiest to remember equations is to where possible have them in one of those triangles (like speed = distance over
time) so they're easy to rearrange when necessary.

I also get a equation sheet but the problem is what equation to use :P
Original post by JTran38
I also get a equation sheet but the problem is what equation to use :P

oh, sorry. Can't help you with that really. It's the one that says what you want = how to work out what you want :P That probably won't help though. Just find the equation which has what you need to find out (eg if mark travels 2 miles to school every day and it takes him 20 minutes then what is his speed? - I know that one is obvious but it's just an example) then you look for the equation with speed in and then input the values into it. (so if the equation sheet says distance = speed x time then you would put it into the triangle to get speed = distance / time) before doing answer = 2 / 0.333 = 6 mph.
That probably didn't help but at least I can now say I've tried!
Reply 76
Original post by Lemur14
oh, sorry. Can't help you with that really. It's the one that says what you want = how to work out what you want :P That probably won't help though. Just find the equation which has what you need to find out (eg if mark travels 2 miles to school every day and it takes him 20 minutes then what is his speed? - I know that one is obvious but it's just an example) then you look for the equation with speed in and then input the values into it. (so if the equation sheet says distance = speed x time then you would put it into the triangle to get speed = distance / time) before doing answer = 2 / 0.333 = 6 mph.
That probably didn't help but at least I can now say I've tried!

The problem with Physics is the equations and I'm worried about having a question and being stuck with not knowing which equation to use as I have a P1 test on W/B 25th January.
Original post by JTran38
The problem with Physics is the equations and I'm worried about having a question and being stuck with not knowing which equation to use as I have a P1 test on W/B 25th January.

I'd go with the usual advice of if you don't get it leave it until the end then come back to it or use what I said in the last post
you look for the equation with speed in and then input the values into it. (so if the equation sheet says distance = speed x time then you would put it into the triangle to get speed = distance / time)
Since last update:

Continued section 3 in computing- I've done a fair amount now so hopefully I should be finished in time :smile:

Supply lesson in double history today meant we didn't do much work as we ended up changing song on youtube every minute or so which really distracts me (I also hate my new seat as the people around me just talk the entire time)

Completed ECDL mock (95%-A*) and started again (for some reason we have to do 2 identical mocks). We had to restart the test for pretty much every question which is a worry as while you can do that in the mock without a time limit, in the real thing there's a time limit and you can't restart the test in the middle so we might have some trouble.

New topic in chemistry (reaction rates)

Finished a topic in business - test next Tues

To do:

Science notes

Business investments

History notes

Business revision

Business homework sheet

Catchup on history supply work

Since Tuesday:

Electronics lesson practical and theory on potential dividers. We then did a very similar lesson in Physics today!

Practicals in physics and chemistry today (and physics yesterday).

Supposedly tonnes of MyMaths homework but he said he's uploaded it and it's not there so we'll have to talk to him tomorrow

Some really nice maths on unit special triangles. I'm not quite sure why but they're really fun.

To Do:

Science notes

Business investments

History notes

Business revision

RE revision (mock on 11th Feb!)

Maths revision (set changes on this test WB 25th Jan)

Electronics Op-Amp homework

English analysis homework (oh fun...)

Rehearsals are into the final 2 weeks now and I have the A Christmas Carol trip on Monday so I really need to get this homework done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending