The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Scroll to see replies

Not sure when I'm going to have time for an update next week as I'll be really busy so I'm just going to post a quick one now :smile:
Yesterday we had a surprise biology test (oh great) It didn't go great and I kept confusing different parts of cells but I'm hoping for a C (60%). There was nothing on there that we've done recently either :frown: We did 5 minutes of work at the end and then she set homework due in Monday :frown:
English was more poem analysis and we did a practice question as well.
PE we did netball inside instead of outside because the courts were frozen over and were slippery.
Maths we did some more trigonometry and he collected in our books to mark the 4 pieces of homework he hasn't marked (but we're betting on getting back unmarked again like after the Christmas holidays)
History our teacher was still off and we did a sheet about Hitler's childhood and watched a bit of a film about his life (called The Rise)

I've done most of my homework now- all I have left is a little bit of my electronics and half my maths as I can't remember all the steps in Spearman's rank so I'm going to wait for my book back (googling wasn't helpful).
Dress rehearsal for my show tomorrow and there's costumes all over my lounge as my mum is costume manager and we're trying to sort out all the last minute adjustments. I'm going to be exhausted after that and ACC in London on Monday so my business test might be interesting on Tuesday.
(edited 8 years ago)
This week:
Monday:

Electronics on Monday - started painting box so should hopefully finish less after next (though we keep spending ages on theory so maybe not)

Biology - we had our physics teacher on a surprise lesson observation. Unfortunately he didn't get to see her true colours as we had a practical which involved very little teaching so couldn't judge much but oh well.

ACC trip - Act 1 (stave 1-3) was good and mostly like the book but Act 2 was a bit weird and not quite like the book (eg it gave the reason for Scrooge changing was that he didn't want to die)

Tuesday:

History teacher was back on Tuesday :smile: so we did a recap of the stuff we were meant to be doing last week and watch another hour of the film.

Business test was ok but the teacher had said it was on all the topics since September but it wasn't so revision wasn't particularly focused on what the test was actually on.

Wednesday:

Computing I've nearly finished section 3 :smile: - I've completed rows 1, 3-6 so will do row 2 next lesson then the evaluation. Should be finished before the half term deadline :smile:

Chemistry was supply :frown:

PE was dodgeball :smile:

Got our mock timetables!

Thursday:

Biology went back to boring normal lesson :frown:

IT we completed the second mock. Real thing on Monday hopefully :smile:

Physics the experiment didn't work (duff school equipment)

New topic in business

Friday:

Revision in maths

More poetry in English

Not much else

Homework is almost done- a couple of questions in physics, 4 for English but have a 13 page booklet for maths to do before Tuesday (I've done 7)

Coming up assessments:

Maths (Fri 29th) End of 'term' test

Computing CA - in lessons until half term

English - unseen poetry (might be next term instead)

RE - MOCK - Feb 11th 13:00 - 1h 30

Stats - MOCK - Feb 12th 13:00 - 2h (just what I want to do the Friday before half term- stay after school to do a mock on a topic we haven't covered much of)

Stats CW - when the teacher gets round to it - deadline 24th March!

Think that's it for this week - sorry for the long update and hopefully back to normal schedule next week depending on homework around rehearsals.
Original post by usycool1
x

Original post by Tank Girl
x

Please can this be moved to the GYGs forum :smile:
This week so far:

Completed section 3 in computing :smile: will do section 4 next lesson then have 2 hours to round everything up and give it the final touch.

IT there's been some new rules within the exam board so we couldn't do our exam :frown: Can't do it next lesson either but should be doing it on Mon 8th

Chemistry, our teacher was back and we did another experiment on concentration of liquids affecting rate of reactions.

PE was horrible and outside :unimpressed: brr.....

We did a history assembly this morning for the year 8s options (last minute as someone didn't turn up). I'm supposed to be doing another one tomorrow but I've also been scheduled in a meeting so I need to make a decision. Would rather go to the meeting but don't want to let my history teacher down.

Business test back- got 56/59/ A* :biggrin:

English we did some non fiction persuasive writing and then the teacher told us about her daughter who died in a car accident 8 years ago :cry:

To do:

History teacher gave us homework which will take at least 4 hours to complete! We have 2 weeks which sounds easy if I wasn't in a 2 week show meaning I have 3 evenings a week (no weekend time at all) to do all my work plus revision :frown: until half term

Finish physics homework for tomorrow (nearly done)

Other news

Maths teacher set us up a website for our class so we can share answers for specific homeworks he gives us. The second set also have access so we spent a fair part of Sunday evening after rehearsals and last night writing up all the answers to that 13 page booklet. Was a lot of fun :smile: I love maths!

Opportunity for a history trip to London on 25th Feb on civil rights which is part of our course. I definitely want to go!

Hopefully will update on Thursday but if not it's unlikely there will be an update before next week because of performances.
Good Luck to anyone taking part in the GYGs competition!
Since last week:

Maths test postponed to today. My friends and I have been going to revision sessions at lunch since last week and the test was ok apart from a couple of nth term questions which were a bit weird.

Meeting about inadequate teachers (yay someone has listened to us). They basically said the teachers were good at their subjects but not good at teaching as in their country the students want to come to their lessons and learn so everyone behaves (lol at that idea)

PE trip meant there was PE teachers off so we got to play dodgeball. I think we're moving off netball anyway this week :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Revision in maths (otherwise known as learning the things that the teacher didn't realise were in the test!)

Finished International Relations 1919-1939 in history. Civil rights next.

Final lesson before our RE mock. Performing all next weekend again so revision will be little- maybe just what we did last year or religious teachings.

Biology was actually ok for once. I managed to somehow fit in my homework that she kindly set after I told her I was performing all weekend but most of the class didn't bother so she gave those who did the equivalent of housepoints in our school which are worth money :smile:

In history we had supply because our teacher was on a course. We did an introduction to civil rights and then watched the next hour of the film (about 15 minutes left)bit of the film we watched when our teacher was ill a few weeks back.

We had supply in business also so we sat where we liked and did some sheets about motivation in business. It was ok apart from the 10 marker at the end despite the fact there's no 10 markers in this unit!

To do:

History notes for homework (due next week but not a chance they will get done because of performances - my history teacher was my form teach in year 7-9 so she will understand and I'll get them done over half term)

Science notes

Business notes - section 1 finished of A292 so can start now as previously didn't have books/folders at home.

This is a great blog! You're so detailed :biggrin:

Hope you get everything sorted out with your inadequate teachers- that sounds annoying :frown: Does it affect many of your subjects?

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the rest of your blog! :h:
Original post by Tank Girl
This is a great blog! You're so detailed :biggrin:

Hope you get everything sorted out with your inadequate teachers- that sounds annoying :frown: Does it affect many of your subjects?

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the rest of your blog! :h:

Thanks! I never know what to include and what not to so I tend to include most things.
It's just biology this year with a bad teacher but we also had supply for most of last year which means we're affectively 2 years behind. Thankfully our physics teacher writes the timetables so we think he's going to give us a good teacher next year to get rid of our moaning in physics lessons. Last year we didn't have a great RE teacher (he was a history teacher anyway) and he got fired so we didn't do much RE last year (and the mock is next Thursday! and I have no time between now and then to revise as I'm performing all weekend and have a massive piece of history homework due in Tuesday).
Our maths teacher marked our tests overnight!!!!! (Revelation seeing how much he hates marking- think 3/4 months between marking homeworks)
I got 19/20 (calc) and 27.5/30(non-calc) giving me an average of 93.3333% :biggrin: I think that was top in the class, certainly no one got 20/20 in the calc and I didn't hear of anyone who got more in the non-calc. The class mean was 70.9% and the standard deviation was 13.

In biology we got our tests back last week - I got 22/32 which is 69% but the teacher put it as 68% (apparently she's no better at maths than biology). Her crosses look like ticks which was confusing. There's a few people who have a tutor who did really well but apart from that everyone got around the same. I'd say I was surprised that it was that high but the set above most got high 90s and the set below most got 80%+ so it's really not great.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not much has happened since Tuesday but I'll talk about today anyway.

First I went to the meeting for the first 25 minutes. We only got through the first agenda item but it was ok. My other year 10 rep wasn't there though :frown:

Then I went to the UKMT challenge. Apparently we were supposed to be told to go before the end of form but I was nowhere near the last one in so it looks like I wasn't the only one who didn't get that message lol. The challenge was much harder than last year but I'm hoping for silver or perhaps a low gold. Certainly not expecting what I got last year :frown:

Next I had ECDL but we couldn't do our test for the same reason as last week. It's now been postponed until after half term I think as the other classes are soooo slow. I could have taken this 3 weeks ago and got on with the new topic as could most of our class so why it takes so long is beyond me.

English was ok. We did kahoot at the beginning and then reviewing the marking in our books for the rest of the lesson :smile:

Physics was normal. We did an experiment but the results weren't as they were meant to be (stupid school equipment!) and then we got set a sheet plus revision for a test on the day of our mocks next week! Not terribly impressed with this as we only have a week to revise but it's the basics out of electronics so shouldn't be too difficult (touch wood)

Business we had supply again. Was pretty much the same as last time. Probably a good thing our teacher wasn't here to set a pile of homework!

Forgot to say yesterday that all I have to do now is my contents for computing! 2 hours to polish everything off then it's being handed in. Scary!

To do:

History notes

Revision for RE, Stats, physics

Science notes

Business notes

Performing again this weekend :smile: excited
Have loads of homework today so just a quick update

Handed in my computing. The teachers disagree with each other on how to do the conclusion so I hope the one who agreed with me marks mine (the sample student did it the same way as me). I'm probably going to start programming the next one over half term.

Free time again in ECDL. Used it to nearly finish off my history notes.

Chemistry was quite fun (we did 5 different experiments)

In PE we've moved on to gym (that's almost as bad as netball!)

In history we got new books for the new topic (tbf I had 2 pages left anyway). Only 2 people had done the homework and had it with them! Everyone seemed to think it was for over half term even though she specifically said it wasn't.

Our teacher was back in business. We learnt about the different legal requirements of employers

In English we did formal and informal writing

To do:

Maths coursework planning (for tomorrow)

English comparison unseen poerty comparison (tomorrow)

RE/physics revision (Thursday)

Stats revision (Friday)

Science/business notes (hopefully over half term).

I'm really annoyed our chemistry teacher is going to take in our books over half term and probably so is our physics teacher. On the up side our chemistry teacher put a bit of biology in our chemistry lesson and now she is also concerned and she's going to come and visit us in one of our lessons :smile: (Actually, we did know that bit of biology but she gave us a hint for the first question and we took the hint for all the questions which confused us for the rest of the questions)
Since Tuesday:

In electronics we had a '15 minute' theory time which turned into an hour and a half! We didn't even have time to mark our homework in that time so we only got 15 minutes practical :frown: I managed to get my box varnished though so now all I have to do is shorten a couple of the wires, paint the edge of one of the panels (the edge split) and fit the circuit board. Our teacher's wife has a child due though so he might have 2 weeks off at any time (and we miss a lesson on the Monday after half term as well for inset day)

In English we did structure of unseen poetry. It was probably the best thing we've done on unseen poetry (probably because it is the most formulaic)

In physics we moved on to a new topic (which I can't remember what it was :redface:. Too much RE in my head)

In maths we tried to do a bit more about the coursework but it actually just confused us more. The only things we got out of it was the date we're writing it (24th Feb 2 hours after vaccinations so possibly not the best choice) and that we can write it at home and bring it in and copy it word for word if we like (a bit stupid imo)

After school we had a G&T session on Victorian literature which was quite interesting (and we made a poster about it :smile:)

We had assembly this morning :frown: (supposed to be week off because of mocks) to tell us that they are putting in a prize draw for people with good attendance next half term and also they are giving hour long detentions for anyone who broke the new school rule they made last week yesterday (it's walking through a particular gate and some people say it's for walking out the gate at all and some people say it's cutting through in the middle of the school day between the two buildings). I'm a bit worried because after G&T I went out the gate without thinking as my mum was picking me up in the car park just outside the gate. I never walk out that gate apart from after G&T so I'm really annoyed.

In maths we tried to do some revision but there were so many questions asked that we didn't get very far with doing 'every type of statistics under the sun to the data'

In physics we had our test and then did some revision for our mock. I think I completed messed up the test as I couldn't remember at all how the temperature of a undefined component affected the current of the circuit (actually I don't remember doing that in class at all)

In chemistry we did the practical and half the theory before being allowed to revise and leave 10 minutes early for the mock

We had lunch which was basically everyone reciting religious beliefs until we had to go line up

The mock was ok. We haven't done any past papers before in one go (we do it in 4 sections) so my hand was killing me (in fact I think that's the longest exam I've ever done - record to be broken tomorrow in statistics). We are allowed 23 minutes a section and I missed that for the first section (~26 mins) but I managed to catch up by the end (finishing with 3 mins to spare but no time to check :frown:) I normally really struggle with timing so I'm not complaining. The person next to me wrote on the question booklet instead of the lined paper and had finished within half an hour and then started messing around which was really distracting but we were right at the back and the invigilators just kept staring at him rather than saying anything. Some people had done that paper before as it was the 2014 papers rather than the 2015 one as we were expecting.

After the mock we stood in the playground until the bell. I've no clue why we couldn't go back to our lessons but oh well.

To do:

Stats revision

Science/business/history section 2 notes

History/business/electronics homework

Maths coursework

Work out what time is reasonable to leave PE tomorrow (have to be in the playground for 12:10 before the mock so thinking about 11:55 or so to get changed and ready)

Wow this is an impressive blog! It will be really nice to look back on when you've left school! And the bits about your biology teacher are funny :tongue:

Good luck!
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Wow this is an impressive blog! It will be really nice to look back on when you've left school! And the bits about your biology teacher are funny :tongue:

Good luck!

Thanks! I'll probably laugh at what I felt was important. The biology teacher is useless. We have her tomorrow but I missed last lesson and I've got mocks tomorrow afternoon so I'll probably just sit there and revise (writing last minute notes atm). Why does everything else (evening tidying my room) suddenly become attractive as soon as revision is on the cards?
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks! I'll probably laugh at what I felt was important. The biology teacher is useless. We have her tomorrow but I missed last lesson and I've got mocks tomorrow afternoon so I'll probably just sit there and revise (writing last minute notes atm). Why does everything else (evening tidying my room) suddenly become attractive as soon as revision is on the cards?

Haha I wish I would've made one of these blogs during my gcse years because my maths teacher was so funny... he used to say things such as "Does this graph see more sense?" and when explaining ratios he would say it like "Two dot dot three". And then he would ask the training teacher who was sitting in on our lesson how to solve an equation :facepalm:
But yes, everything seems so much more appealing than doing revision!
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Haha I wish I would've made one of these blogs during my gcse years because my maths teacher was so funny... he used to say things such as "Does this graph see more sense?" and when explaining ratios he would say it like "Two dot dot three". And then he would ask the training teacher who was sitting in on our lesson how to solve an equation :facepalm:
But yes, everything seems so much more appealing than doing revision!

Our maths teacher does that sort of thing. He's Canadian and he only moved over to here last summer so he's still getting used to things. Some of the things he comes out with are very funny (oh and he hates Americans and last week the people going on the ski trip to America got their jumpers with American flags all over and then came into his lesson with them on without thinking lol) His favourite expression is "Oh come on" said in an extremely (more than usual) Canadian accent :biggrin:
Just wanted to update you about the stats mock.
The school made a big mistake and gave us a paper which most of the class had already seen! (in fact apparently some people had seen the RE paper on Thursday as well as they gave us the 2014 paper instead of the 2015 one we were expecting so some people had used it for revision seeing as it was publicly available). I had never seen the RE paper and I had had a quick flick through the stats paper but I didn't recognise any of the questions/answers so I don't think it affect me much thankfully. I actually did find the exam surprisingly easy considering how much I thought I knew but obviously more of the last minute revision stuck in my head than I thought (tbf that happens in most exams) or maybe the exam was just easier than the teacher was preparing us for it to be (the practise questions were impossible!).
To do list for half term: I had a sudden inspiration to write everything down at midnight last night lol so I'll type up the list now :smile:

Homework:

History- questions (1 hour max)

Biology- questions (30 mins max)

English- MITSL plus exam question (~2 hours)

Business- sheet (that I can't find anywhere so I've send my friend a facebook message to send me a picture of it so I can hopefully find it on the student drive online) (shouldn't take more than 45 mins)

Maths CA (2-3 hours)

Electronics - 2 sided argument (1 hour)

Revision Methods

Sciences/business - use specification/books to make typed notes

English - online mindmaps - ACC- themes/quotes/staves and poetry- MITSL timeline of ACC

History - as before - use textbook and PLCs to make notes ( section 2 IR only as section 1/3 complete)

Stats - use revision for dummies guide to continue making colour coded notes as before mock

RE- mindmaps- each topic/religion coloured notes?

Mindmaps only occurred really to me at midnight last night so I'm not sure if they'll work for me but I may as well try :smile:

Other To Do:

Computing - begin to program next CA task

Tidy Room

Sleepover - tomorrow night

Sort out my planner as it is a complete mess with tonnes of sheets including ones due in back in October (yes I'm looking at you biology teacher)

Watch Grease (the show I'm doing with my drama group) and prepare for audition

See my best friend who I haven't seen since Christmas 2014!

Go shopping for storage for my room and a ruler since mine broke in the stats exam

Reply 97
Original post by Lemur14
To do list for half term: I had a sudden inspiration to write everything down at midnight last night lol so I'll type up the list now :smile:

Homework:

History- questions (1 hour max)

Biology- questions (30 mins max)

English- MITSL plus exam question (~2 hours)

Business- sheet (that I can't find anywhere so I've send my friend a facebook message to send me a picture of it so I can hopefully find it on the student drive online) (shouldn't take more than 45 mins)

Maths CA (2-3 hours)

Electronics - 2 sided argument (1 hour)

Revision Methods

Sciences/business - use specification/books to make typed notes

English - online mindmaps - ACC- themes/quotes/staves and poetry- MITSL timeline of ACC

History - as before - use textbook and PLCs to make notes ( section 2 IR only as section 1/3 complete)

Stats - use revision for dummies guide to continue making colour coded notes as before mock

RE- mindmaps- each topic/religion coloured notes?

Mindmaps only occurred really to me at midnight last night so I'm not sure if they'll work for me but I may as well try :smile:

Other To Do:

Computing - begin to program next CA task

Tidy Room

Sleepover - tomorrow night

Sort out my planner as it is a complete mess with tonnes of sheets including ones due in back in October (yes I'm looking at you biology teacher)

Watch Grease (the show I'm doing with my drama group) and prepare for audition

See my best friend who I haven't seen since Christmas 2014!

Go shopping for storage for my room and a ruler since mine broke in the stats exam

Seems like you have a lot to do during the half term @Lemur14. I'm currently at my cousin's house when I really should be riding up my room :/ .
Original post by JTran38
Seems like you have a lot to do during the half term @Lemur14. I'm currently at my cousin's house when I really should be riding up my room :/ .

That's what I would like to do rather than what I expect to do. I'll make sure I do the homework and the important revision before I do the less important things (eg ACC revision won't be very helpful until next year). I'm not expecting to do everything by any means but it's something to aim for :biggrin:
Just a quick update :smile:
I've been on a sleepover since yesterday. We watched the Hobbit and the first Lord of the Rings.
I've also 'tidied' my room (when I say that I mean thrown loads of stuff away but I haven't finished so atm it's messier than when I started). I need to finish that tomorrow and do some of my homework. I've also managed to lose all my Christmas thank you letters somewhere (hopefully) in the mess which has caused even more mess looking for it :frown: I said to my mum I should leave them downstairs after I wrote them and she said no they'll be fine upstairs :angry: I haven't moved them from the perfectly sensible spot I left them in though. She says if I haven't found them I can type them but it's not the writing them I care about it's the wording of them and making them individual (and also I now have no clue who brought me what) so that's not helpful but oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending