The Student Room Group

Do I have to include all my A levels in my oxbridge application?

I'm taking a gap year to apply to Oxbridge. However, my predicted grades for Biology are dismal. I'm predicted AAC. I'm planning to take two more A levels as a private candidate next year (possibly Maths and History). Do I have to submit my biology grades (assuming I do get a C) when I apply or can I just include the four subjects which I'm more confident in?

I'm currently taking E.Lit, Psychology, and Biology. Hoping to get in for Law or PPE.
Original post by kash968
I'm taking a gap year to apply to Oxbridge. However, my predicted grades for Biology are dismal. I'm predicted AAC. I'm planning to take two more A levels as a private candidate next year (possibly Maths and History). Do I have to submit my biology grades (assuming I do get a C) when I apply or can I just include the four subjects which I'm more confident in?I'm currently taking E.Lit, Psychology, and Biology. Hoping to get in for Law or PPE.

I'm pretty sure you have to add all your qualifications on UCAS. I wouldn't advice lying about your results, you may jeopardise your application.
Yes you have to declare everything.
Original post by kash968
I'm taking a gap year to apply to Oxbridge. However, my predicted grades for Biology are dismal. I'm predicted AAC. I'm planning to take two more A levels as a private candidate next year (possibly Maths and History). Do I have to submit my biology grades (assuming I do get a C) when I apply or can I just include the four subjects which I'm more confident in?

I'm currently taking E.Lit, Psychology, and Biology. Hoping to get in for Law or PPE.

You have to declare all qualifications that you hold when applying through UCAS. Not doing so is considered fraudulent and, if found out, any offers you receive may be withdrawn. Bear in mind that even if you weren't found out now, this sort of thing can be discovered a few years later and universities are allowed to throw you off the course or even (if they find out after you've graduated) revoke your degree. So it's just not worth doing. :smile:

Let me get this straight though: you're taking A Levels over more than two years? While some subjects at Oxford at least are okay with that (although I'm not sure about whether Law or PPE are), I strongly suggest you contact them before applying because they don't normally allow it unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Their general line on this is that they want candidates to demonstrate that they can handle the workload of three A2 subjects and get good grades in those -- otherwise people could just do one or two in year 12 and another one or two in year 13, and both Oxford and Cambridge are clear that they don't like that (save for some subjects).

What are your AS grades and GCSEs like? Those are important for Oxford and Cambridge, assuming that they're okay with you taking A Levels over more than two years (if that's what you're doing).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
You have to declare all qualifications that you hold when applying through UCAS. Not doing so is considered fraudulent and, if found out, any offers you receive may be withdrawn. Bear in mind that even if you weren't found out now, this sort of thing can be discovered a few years later and universities are allowed to throw you off the course or even (if they find out after you've graduated) revoke your degree. So it's just not worth doing. :smile:

Let me get this straight though: you're taking A Levels over more than two years? While some subjects at Oxford at least are okay with that (although I'm not sure about whether Law or PPE are), I strongly suggest you contact them before applying because they don't normally allow it unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Their general line on this is that they want candidates to demonstrate that they can handle the workload of three A2 subjects and get good grades in those -- otherwise people could just do one or two in year 12 and another one or two in year 13, and both Oxford and Cambridge are clear that they don't like that (save for some subjects).

What are your AS grades and GCSEs like? Those are important for Oxford and Cambridge, assuming that they're okay with you taking A Levels over more than two years (if that's what you're doing).

My AS grades were BB, I'm taking my AS and A2 bio exams at the same time as I was hospitalised during my first week of AS examinations, and couldn't sit for the bio paper. My SPM results (Malaysian equivalent of GCSEs) were subpar(AAAABBCCC) but I was hoping to maybe sit for the actual GCSE examinations next year
Original post by kash968
My AS grades were BB, I'm taking my AS and A2 bio exams at the same time as I was hospitalised during my first week of AS examinations, and couldn't sit for the bio paper. My SPM results (Malaysian equivalent of GCSEs) were subpar(AAAABBCCC) but I was hoping to maybe sit for the actual GCSE examinations next year

That should count as extenuating circumstances. :smile: Were you ill prior to being hospitalised though? Because while they would understand that your health comes first, your B grades in your other subjects might make them doubt your ability unless there were extenuating circumstances for that too. That's more important for Cambridge since they use AS UMS to shortlist for interview.

You'd have to look at how Oxford and Cambridge use international qualifications when shortlisting for interview for your GCSE equivalents -- I doubt it's exactly the same as how they use GCSEs. If you don't find anything on the website, emailing them always helps. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
That should count as extenuating circumstances. :smile: Were you ill prior to being hospitalised though? Because while they would understand that your health comes first, your B grades in your other subjects might make them doubt your ability unless there were extenuating circumstances for that too. That's more important for Cambridge since they use AS UMS to shortlist for interview.

You'd have to look at how Oxford and Cambridge use international qualifications when shortlisting for interview for your GCSE equivalents -- I doubt it's exactly the same as how they use GCSEs. If you don't find anything on the website, emailing them always helps. :smile:

No, I wasn't ill prior to being hospitalised. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending