The Student Room Group

Oxford with 9 GCSEs

Hi, I'm hoping to apply for Oxford when I complete high school and sixth form. I am predicted to achieve all A*'s at GCSE and am currently on target for each of my subjects, which I am very proud of. My only concern surrounds my school. It is not an awful school and is in fact one of the best in my city, however, it only offers 9 actual GCSEs. My question is, will 9 GCSE grades be sufficient? Sorry if this sounds stupid; it's that most successful Oxford applicants I have seen have had about 12-15 grades consisting of all or a majority of A*'s. Thank you in advance x
Original post by econcmics
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for Oxford when I complete high school and sixth form. I am predicted to achieve all A*'s at GCSE and am currently on target for each of my subjects, which I am very proud of. My only concern surrounds my school. It is not an awful school and is in fact one of the best in my city, however, it only offers 9 actual GCSEs. My question is, will 9 GCSE grades be sufficient? Sorry if this sounds stupid; it's that most successful Oxford applicants I have seen have had about 12-15 grades consisting of all or a majority of A*'s. Thank you in advance x

I’m sure that’s ok. It’s not you’re fault that your school only offers 9 GCSEs. Just do well and you’ll be alright.
Yes it will be fine - just try and get A*s and I very much doubt only doing 9 GCSEs will hinder your chances of getting to Oxford (what really will matter is your A-levels)
Original post by Harriso1

But Oxford will ignore them, unless relevant to the application eg to study Music.

This is wrong and terrible advice. It's not the number of GCSEs you have, it's the quality.

At my school, you could only do 9 or 10 GCSEs, yet about 15-30 people get into Oxbridge each year.

People who have 12-15 GCSEs will have several subjects like business studies or food tech that aren't regarded as academic and Oxbridge won't care about them.

OP, 9 GCSEs is perfectly fine. My school - a top very selective private school - actively encourages students to only do 9 because you'll get better grades. And my school gets 15-30 people into Oxbridge every year.

I have 9 GCSE's and applied to Oxford this year and got through to interviews and am currently waiting for a reply from them. So, if you have 9 that is completely fine especially since your set to achieve A* in all of them. The average there is like 5A*'s

Why are you posting a massive chunk of text irrevelvant to your original claim?

You said that you need to take 12-15 GCSEs for Oxford to consider them - that is 100% a lie.

Having 9 or 10A*s will not be looked down on compared to 12-15 A*s. Not everyone has the chance to do that many, and besides, there is absolutely zero point in doing 15.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I’ve just had an interview, and am waiting for a reply from Oxford. I have 9 GCSEs, and it hasn’t been a problem for me so far. I’ve heard they also like it if you take all or as many as possible in one sitting, rather than doing them one at a time across a few years...
Should probably add to lucy that the number of GCSEs a candidate takes is often down to the school not the candidate. Most students take 8-11, from what I've seen from local schools and on here etc.

The more A*'s you have the better your overall knowledge and experience and the more A*'s you have the more likely you are to be accepted. 7 is the absolute minimum. And extra curricular activities separate you from other students which Oxbridge do care about. The interview process is also crucial as that distinguishes you between other students who got ace grades. Practice for entrance exams should also be considered later as they're being brought back for all subjects.
Reply 10
The number of A*s at GCSE is generally less important than the proportion of A*s, so if you take 9 GCSEs but get A*s in all of them, you would theoretically be in the same position as someone who had 12 GCSEs all at A*. The admissions tutors are aware that some schools don't offer as many subjects as others, and they won't look at your application less favourably because of something beyond your control.

You should also keep in mind that different subjects place different emphasis on GCSE grades (the only course for which they're very important is Medicine), and that the weight placed on GCSEs diminishes after the initial shortlisting process, at which point interview performance becomes more important.
Reply 11
A lot of applicants have between 12-15 so I would suggest sitting some GCSE's privately in your first year of Sixth Form or at the end of year 11 if u have time to study at home alongside other GCSE's. They will cost but if you have enough time to revise at home it should be okay.

Extra curricular stuff can earn UCAS points as well like grades in Instruments

No offense, but this is just shoddy advice. Oxbridge don't look at UCAS points, and they definitely don't care about instrument grades (unless you're applying for music)

Most applicants definitely do not have 12-15, I don't even know anyone doing more than 13 or so. And you shouldn't just force yourself to take extra random GCSEs for no other reason just to bump up the numbers, when you should be focusing on your A Levels.

Uh... above you said that 7 A*s was the absolute minimum and now you’re saying people get in with 5?

It’s the proportion of A*s universities care about, not the quantity.

Universities know that different schools offer different numbers of GCSEs, so they won’t care one iota whether you have 9 GCSEs or 15.

It’s also the quality of subjects, not the quantity - if you get 9 A*s in maths, English, English lit, three sciences, history, geography and a language, then that is far better than taking 15 subjects, including less well-regarded, easy subjects like business or media studies, and end up getting 12A*s overall, but missing the A*s in core subjects like maths and English.

And finally, a pet peeve of mine. You mean *definitely*, not *defiantly*. Look up the definitions - they’re 2 separate words. Until you realise that, you *definitely* won’t be getting an A* in your English language GCSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by S.H.Rahman
I have 9 GCSE's and applied to Oxford this year and got through to interviews and am currently waiting for a reply from them. So, if you have 9 that is completely fine especially since your set to achieve A* in all of them. The average there is like 5A*'s
which gsces + a levels did u do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending