The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 A-levels?

Hi, I have just received my GCSE results and have achieved 9999999988. I am hoping to go to Oxbridge (preferably Oxford) to study either maths or physics. I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to do 5 A-levels, which is an option for me. I would do maths, further maths, physics, computer science and chemistry, doing the extra A-level of chemistry in addition to the first 4. Is this at all manageable and supportive of me getting into Oxbridge or would my time be better spent focusing more on the first 4 subjects and extra curricular activities, if so are there any extra curricular activities you would recommend? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zimzam2016
Hi, I have just received my GCSE results and have achieved 9999999988. I am hoping to go to Oxbridge (preferably Oxford) to study either maths or physics. I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to do 5 A-levels, which is an option for me. I would do maths, further maths, physics, computer science and chemistry, doing the extra A-level of chemistry in addition to the first 4. Is this at all manageable and supportive of me getting into Oxbridge or would my time be better spent focusing more on the first 4 subjects and extra curricular activities, if so are there any extra curricular activities you would recommend? Thanks.

No, most schools won't allow 5 and it's totally over the top. Oxford nor any uni, don't give bonus points for 5. None of my successful Oxford Maths candidates have done 5 ... focus on other stuff.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Do not do 5 A-levels. It probably won't make a difference re Oxbridge admissions - if anything it could actually make it harder because you will be so busy you won't have time to focus on your application, or, you focus on your application at the expense of your studies and risk missing your offer. For Oxford it is not a case of more A-levels are better. Most offers will be based on 3 A-levels. Doing 4 is worthwhile in your case to have further maths in there, but anything on top of that is just unnecessary work and stress. Instead of a 5th A-level consider doing an EPQ if your school offers it and you can manage your time to get it done efficiently, having an EPQ in a topic relevant to the degree you're applying for can give you a great starting point for supercurricular reading for a personal statement (though the EPQ grade itself doesn't count for much at Oxbridge). Or if you don't want to do that/school doesn't offer it, you can still do supercurriculars. It can be anything related to the subject you want to study; read books and articles, listen to podcasts, attend lectures and talks, come up with a personal project to work on - anything that demonstrates your subject interest. Doing that, and preparing thoroughly for your admissions test if there is one, will be way more beneficial to your Oxbridge application than a fifth A-level. Another thing is you don't want to burn out, 5 A levels is a ridiculous amount of work and seeing that through to the end will be a challenge. Its much better to have the free time to focus on your application and also having a life outside of study than getting another A level that doesn't make much difference to a uni application!
Reply 3
It would be a very bad idea. Spend your time doing maths related extension activities.

I achieved similar grades to you at GCSE, and all I can say is NO to 5 a levels! Oxford only take into consideration 3 anyway. But, I do think if you are very good at maths, further maths is probably worth it (my friend took it and got into Oxford).

However three different a levels and an EPQ was challenging and one of my a-levels was Psychology, and that’s somewhat easier than the actual science subjects like Biology (which I also took).

Also (I’m not sure about this) but doesn’t computer science have coursework? If so, this will be near impossible to fit in with 4 other a levels.

A-levels are much harder than GCSE, and this will come as a shock to you in the first few weeks of Sixth Form. Please don’t over work yourself, or you won’t be well enough by the final exams!
Definitley no! Its quality and not quantity that they will look for

I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to do 5 A-levels
No
Is this at all manageable and supportive of me getting into Oxbridge
No because AAAAB will not satisfy an offer of A*AAA, and A*AAAA will not make up for a poorer MAT or PAT score
would my time be better spent focusing more on the first 4 subjects and extra curricular activities
Yes
if so are there any extra curricular activities you would recommend?
Senior Maths Challenge, anything BPhO runs, and the Isaac Physics Senior Maths Challenge
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi,
Personally I'd advise focusing on four A-levels and achieving the highest possible grades in those four. I studied four A-levels including further maths and combined with applying for university and extra-curriculars this was definitely a pretty high workload. In terms of Oxbridge it's better to have three or four A*s than say two As and three Bs. If you can spend the extra time you would have spent on chemistry reading around maths and physics or practising problem solving as this will probably benefit your studies and applications more. Most university admissions tutors will prefer you to demonstrate a depth of knowledge in the subjects you're going to be studying.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 8

My cousin knows someone who did 6 A-levels (I think it was 5 and he was exaggerating) and got A*AAAAA and was rejected from Oxford and it was because, for lack of a better word, he didn't have a life. He didn't have any extracurriculars to show for, no sport, no hobby. My cousin told me that for applicants to stand out they need something they're very passionate about. My cousin got rejected from Cambridge, but he's finished Imperial and all the people he's met say the same thing. 5 A-levels are too much, you're going to be stretching yourself far too thin, and it's not going to be fun, (it's not impossible you just have to be driven David Goggins), and most probably won't be worth it if you've absolutely no time to enjoy your life.
Original post by gab_lester
My cousin knows someone who did 6 A-levels (I think it was 5 and he was exaggerating) and got A*AAAAA and was rejected from Oxford and it was because, for lack of a better word, he didn't have a life. He didn't have any extracurriculars to show for, no sport, no hobby. My cousin told me that for applicants to stand out they need something they're very passionate about. My cousin got rejected from Cambridge, but he's finished Imperial and all the people he's met say the same thing. 5 A-levels are too much, you're going to be stretching yourself far too thin, and it's not going to be fun, (it's not impossible you just have to be driven David Goggins), and most probably won't be worth it if you've absolutely no time to enjoy your life.

Do you think they care if you're passionate about a hobby/sport unless it relates to the course though? The only reason i can see people taking more than 4 subjects is if they're genuinely passionate about academics and know they can achieve all a*s.
Reply 10
Definitely don’t do 5 A levels. You have absolutely nothing to gain from doing so and everything to lose.
Original post by LunafromMLP
Do you think they care if you're passionate about a hobby/sport unless it relates to the course though? The only reason i can see people taking more than 4 subjects is if they're genuinely passionate about academics and know they can achieve all a*s.

I think you are under estimating the commitment each A level will take. A student can perfectly demonstrate their academic passion through 4 A levels.
Original post by LunafromMLP

A-levels don't really demonstrate passion for a given subject, they just demonstrate academic preparation. Passion is conveyed through further reading and activities related to the subject.
Reply 13
Original post by totallyfine
I think you are under estimating the commitment each A level will take. A student can perfectly demonstrate their academic passion through 4 A levels.

From the perspective of universities, A levels don’t demonstrate passion for a subject. There is a syllabus and a mark scheme which are all prescribed. You can do excellently at A level without having any passion for the subject. This needs to be demonstrated by reading / researching the subject beyond the scope of the A level syllabus. This will not improve your A level grade and demonstrates that you are wanting to explore areas just because you find them interesting, and are passionate about them, not because you are being taught them / they are on the A level syllabus.
Original post by CAG575
From the perspective of universities, A levels don’t demonstrate passion for a subject. There is a syllabus and a mark scheme which are all prescribed. You can do excellently at A level without having any passion for the subject. This needs to be demonstrated by reading / researching the subject beyond the scope of the A level syllabus. This will not improve your A level grade and demonstrates that you are wanting to explore areas just because you find them interesting, and are passionate about them, not because you are being taught them / they are on the A level syllabus.

I agree.

I don't mean choosing more than 4 a levels to demonstrate passion. I meant that i can only see people taking 5 if they really enjoy these subjects and they want to learn about it not so they can show they like it.
Definitely not. You only need three subjects, four at a push if one of those is FM.

A girl in my class did five and was rejected from Oxford pre interview. Doing five won’t give you any advantage, and might even go against you if you are seen to be spreading yourself too thin or are just simply good at passing exams.

nope nope nope. you'll get so burnt out. a levels take up wayyy more time than gcses do. my friend got into oxford with the regular 3 a levels, so don't worry. i think for oxford the interview and personal statement (obviously along with excellent grades) matter more than how many a levels you do. if you want to be seen as impressive do extracurriculars or an EPQ or something!

Also, i understand that if you enjoy a subject you can read and explore in your own time outside of a level exams but if you have the free resources, teachers and time i don't see why you can't take another a level for fun. Obviously, this is for a very very small minority who can cope with this workload and stress altho if u like it i wouldn't call it stress
Original post by elliemab22
nope nope nope. you'll get so burnt out. a levels take up wayyy more time than gcses do. my friend got into oxford with the regular 3 a levels, so don't worry. i think for oxford the interview and personal statement (obviously along with excellent grades) matter more than how many a levels you do. if you want to be seen as impressive do extracurriculars or an EPQ or something!

Idk if this is othrr ppl as well but one person who haa just done their a levels told me that their 4 a levels(maths fm physics econ) was similar work for them with 11 GCSEs at home but partly because they used all of their study periods efficiently?? The reason they had done extra work outside of school was more for uni admissions. I think this is also bc their subjects were very linked too

Quick Reply

Latest