The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes. Do something you enjoy and are good at and have a great three years doing it. Your degree will lead to something else (either postgrad study or an interesting job) once you've decided what you want that something else to be.
Yes!

Anyway, you hear of so many people who got a first in Chemistry now working for Deutsche Bank, or the English Grad student working in TV.

University is about broadening your mind, not training for a job.
passthesaltplease
Yes!

Anyway, you hear of so many people who got a first in Chemistry now working for Deutsche Bank, or the English Grad student working in TV.

University is about broadening your mind, not training for a job.

Training your mind to go into a particular field of work. Developing desirable skills for whatever career path you wish to pursue.
Reply 4
Yes, do something you will enjoy.
unknown demon
Training your mind to go into a particular field of work. Developing desirable skills for whatever career path you wish to pursue.

Not necessarily and I'd guess in a great many cases people are unsure what they will end up doing.

Most, if not all degrees help preapre you with general, transferable skills which will be suitable for a massive range of careers. Each subject may well prepare you as well for more specific careers, but looking at the stats many people do not go in to these - in fact many of the graduate jobs out there do not as for specific degress, but rather someone with any degree who can prove then have developed the correct qualities and skills to do the job (can't remember the eact percentage of grad jobs which are like this, but it could be over 50%).
Definitely. You'll be more likely to do well if you take a degree you'll enjoy, and it's also likely that whatever you end up doing will be related to this. Something like half of all graduate jobs don't require a specific subject anyway.
I cannot stress enough how important it is to do something you enjoy. I didn't and really regret it. I spent much of my time at uni with one illness or another and never really had the will to recover. I very rarely attended lectures and knew that I was going to fail if I continued. This led me to decide that I should drop out and reapply for something that I enjoyed more. My advice would definitely be to go to uni and do something that you think you will enjoy. Uni is a life-changing experience so make sure you are happy there :smile:
Reply 8
^ Can I ask what degree you originally chose, and what you're doing now?
Alex_K
^ Can I ask what degree you originally chose, and what you're doing now?

I originally chose maths/physics. Now I'm applying for politics :smile:
Reply 10
Personally if I was in your situation, I'd do a traditional academic subject (e.g. English, Maths, History etc), the kind of degree that, while being very respected, doesn't limit your career options. As long as you don't end up doing Film Studies though you should be alright!
Hope that was helpful xxx
Reply 11
the_alba
Yes. Do something you enjoy and are good at and have a great three years doing it. Your degree will lead to something else (either postgrad study or an interesting job) once you've decided what you want that something else to be.

Bah! Whoever the hell negged me for this comment is a wacko. I was just trying to help. How the **** does this constitute bad advice?
Reply 12
it's ridiculous someone negged me for saying i couldnt get into kings with the message " ha ha you cant get into kings"
anyway i'll give you some positive to try even it out a bit
Reply 13
If you don't enjoy your degree, it's less likely that you'll do well at it.
Reply 14
mdhey89
Personally if I was in your situation, I'd do a traditional academic subject (e.g. English, Maths, History etc), the kind of degree that, while being very respected, doesn't limit your career options. As long as you don't end up doing Film Studies though you should be alright!
Hope that was helpful xxx

Don't know if you were half-joking, but there's nothing wrong with film studies if you feel you'll love it. I'm an absolute film geek and I get to do film modules as part of my degree and I sometimes think I should have picked it as my major because I love it so much. Obviously, I wouldn't mind working in the film industry, so yeah, it'd be relevant. But still, I think anything you will be enjoy, you should study. It makes much more sense than to do a course for its reputation.

Latest

Trending

Trending