The Student Room Group

One attack in France and the whole world goes mental!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Howard
I've already shown you that your post was a BS by citing 2006 statistics on accidental deaths by guns versus total deaths. Man up and admit you were wrong; there's nothing worse than a person who won't acknowledge he is wrong when proven to be.

If you imagine that most American gun owners are completely untrained and don't have a clue which end is the dangerous end you'd be wrong. In particular, people that are serious enough to have conceiled carry licences quite often come from a military and police backgrounds but even those that don't (like myself - I hold a permit myself) often train regularly at ranges and on practical pistol courses.

You can't ignore the fact that the people who were being executed while cowering in a corner in Paris would have had a better chance of survival had some of them been armed. It's common sense.

The only nonsense here is your "citation" which has no actual citation; and from "2006", which is almost 10 years ago. One would wonder why one needs to cite something outdated :erm:

Let's just take some random news in the US, in 2014, to just ease you from calling some random poster, such as me, "BS-ing' on the internet: now this post, that I "cited" says that 100 children died by accidental gun death. Now, should we be concerned? If children themselves got killed by guns, one would wonder how the guardian can "protect themselves from danger", let alone something horrible such as the Paris attack.
Reply 61
Original post by kka25
Just appalling isn't it? Essentially "we're not neighbours, we don't have any connections whatsoever, we don't have trades, historically we had no historical war together (which is nonsense for an arguement) and whatnot, so why should we care if your family got slaughtered at 2AM in the morning? You have problems? Deal with it! Even if you die alone, miserable, alone in the dark."

And yet we have the same human structure, same basic needs as in food, shelter, etc., same basic emotions and probably share the same hopes and dreams.

Humanity at its best.

You seem to be saying you care equally about everybody in the world without exception. Well, fair play to you. My question is what exactly you do to turn thoughts into action. Without that "I care" are really empty words anyway. Easy to say and completely pointless.

Unless you are going to get out there and do your bit to right some of the world's injustices rather than sit behind a computer moaning about everybody else's lack of humanity you should keep shtum.
Reply 62
Original post by VV Cephei A
There's quite a colossal lie in the post actually, "FYI, there are more accidental deaths by gun owners than actual usage in the US." This is statistically false, by several orders of magnitude. Legal gun owners in the US stop shootings and crime day in day out, you just don't hear about it on huffpost or whatever other news source you are spoonfed your information from.

Really?
Reply 63
Original post by kka25
The only nonsense here is your "citation" which has no actual citation; and from "2006", which is almost 10 years ago. One would wonder why one needs to cite something outdated :erm:

Let's just take some random news in the US, in 2014, to just ease you from calling some random poster, such as me, "BS-ing' on the internet: now this post, that I "cited" says that 100 children died by accidental gun death. Now, should we be concerned? If children themselves got killed by guns, one would wonder how the guardian can "protect themselves from danger", let alone something horrible such as the Paris attack.

OK, Here's 2010

Total deaths 31,672
Accidental 606
% accidental 1.91%

Here's 2009

Total deaths 31,347
Accidental 554
% accidental 1.76%

Want me to go?

You stated that MORE people died from accidental gun death in the US than by any other usage. You were wrong. Now say you're sorry and be on your way.
Reply 64
Original post by Howard
You seem to be saying you care equally about everybody in the world without exception. Well, fair play to you. My question is what exactly you do to turn thoughts into action. Without that "I care" are really empty words anyway. Easy to say and completely pointless.

Unless you are going to get out there and do your bit to right some of the world's injustices rather than sit behind a computer moaning about everybody else's lack of humanity you should keep shtum.

To each his own.
Original post by Ashtar
No-one cares about those countries,

next question.

How would you like it if I said I don't care about those people that were killed?
Reply 66
Original post by kka25
To each his own.

That does nothing to address my point. You can talk in platitudes all day about how much you care about the world and your superior sense of humanity. Means nothing. Action speaks louder than words.

Please stop trying to deflect from your original claim, which was that accidental gun deaths account for more incidences than any other usage (which would include defensive gun uses).

As you have just been informed, annual accidental gun deaths number in the hundreds. Defensive gun uses alone, going by the most conservative NCVS figures, occur around 100,000 times a year, and up to a million times a year going by mid-range estimates.

You've been shown not only to be incorrect, but out by several orders of magnitude. Time to stop posting.
Reply 68
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
How would you like it if I said I don't care about those people that were killed?

I would say it's normal,

1/4 British Muslims justified 7/7.
Original post by Reformed
a skeptical person may say buddhists are in conflict with muslims there ( they dont have this issue with anyone else)

a more constructive statement to make would be islam was founded on war (mohammed) and is full of edicts and verses about killing and conflict. so its hardly a surprise when muslims influenced by their doctrine get into conflicts. noone could ever pretend islam has been a peaceful influence on the world

You are wrong. Islam is not this be all and end all doctrine that is followed by every single Muslim in the exact same way. I personally have stopped caring about people like you and your viewpoints as you clearly don't know enough about religion in general to have a reliable viewpoint.

An article I read put it in a god way.
"Christian crusaders, Islamist militants, or the leaders of "freedom-loving nations", all justify what they see as necessary violence in the name of a higher good. Buddhist rulers and monks have been no exception."

Everything you see today is not and never has been a result of Islam. The greater good for these extremists leaders isn't reaching paradise, that's just the propaganda that they use to draw people to their cause (and if you believe it they win). It power they are after, control of land, control of money and control of people.
Reply 70
Original post by Howard
OK, Here's 2010

Total deaths 31,672
Accidental 606
% accidental 1.91%

Here's 2009

Total deaths 31,347
Accidental 554
% accidental 1.76%

Incidentally, in the UK we're currently running at about 600 murders (any method) per year. Multiply by 4 to compensate for population differences, making 2,400 murders per year and we see there are about 13 gun-caused deaths in the USA for each murder (any method) in the UK.
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx

If you lived in Mongolia or something it would be a fairly normal reaction.
Reply 72
Please stop trying to deflect from your original claim, which was that accidental gun deaths account for more incidences than any other usage (which would include defensive gun uses).

As you have just been informed, annual accidental gun deaths number in the hundreds. Defensive gun uses alone, going by the most conservative NCVS figures, occur around 100,000 times a year, and up to a million times a year going by mid-range estimates.

You've been shown not only to be incorrect, but out by several orders of magnitude. Time to stop posting.

But:
KKA25
FYI, there are more accidental deaths by gun owners than actual usage in the US. I'd somehow imagine some of these Americans would end up killing, accidentally, themselves first rahter than shooting someone successfully.

Cited work:
Miller, et al.

For every age group, where there are more guns there are more accidental deaths. The mortality rate was 7 times higher in the four states with the most guns compared to the four states with the fewest guns.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and unintentional firearm deaths. Accident Analysis and Prevention

Sounds reasonable to me.

I think I'll just end it here.
Original post by kka25
But:

Cited work:

Sounds reasonable to me.

I think I'll just end it here.

Your study, if it is credible, indicates that where there are more guns there are more accidental deaths. That's all. This is not the claim you made, which was that there are more accidental deaths than other kinds of gun usage. Accidental deaths occur a few hundred times a year, guns are used for other purposes several hundred to thousands of times more frequently. I agree, I think you should end it here.
Original post by halal kebab5
stop making assumptions about me. im not like some of you, who care about the France attack only because you travel there once a year. my heart goes out to the victims of the attack on France and to the victims of any terrorist attack around the world.

So I assume you would never attend a family members funeral either?

I mean, you wouldn't want to appear to value your family member's above everyone else right?
Pretty much agree with the original poster.

The events and terrorist acts that took place in Paris were terrible of course. It is the way it has been 'framed' by the media that has made it become a 'world' event or a 'world-changing' event.
Reply 76
Your study, if it is credible, indicates that where there are more guns there are more accidental deaths. That's all. This is not the claim you made, which was that there are more accidental deaths than other kinds of gun usage. Accidental deaths occur a few hundred times a year, guns are used for other purposes several hundred to thousands of times more frequently. I agree, I think you should end it here.

KK25

FYI, there are more accidental deaths by gun owners than actual usage in the US. I'd somehow imagine some of these Americans would end up killing, accidentally, themselves first rahter than shooting someone successfully.

Again for the second time, never have, and never will. I think you need to mind what you're paraphrasing. Honestly, I'm more frustrated that you seemed to missed paraphrased my posts twice now, rather than getting the post correct :erm:
Original post by kka25
Again for the second time, never have, and never will. I think you need to mind what you're paraphrasing. Honestly, I'm more frustrated that you seemed to missed paraphrased my posts twice now, rather than getting the post correct :erm:

More accidental deaths than "actual usage", you said. Define for us "actual usage" then, because in the context of your post and the following sentence, it seems to imply a usage of firearm for self defence.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
So I assume you would never attend a family members funeral either?

I mean, you wouldn't want to appear to value your family member's above everyone else right?

i dont have any family.
Reply 79
Original post by Simes
Incidentally, in the UK we're currently running at about 600 murders (any method) per year. Multiply by 4 to compensate for population differences, making 2,400 murders per year and we see there are about 13 gun-caused deaths in the USA for each murder (any method) in the UK.

Well, not really. You're assuming that the total gun deaths I am giving here are all murders. They're not.

Let's take 2010.

Total deaths by gun was 31672. This is actually broken down as:

Homicide: 11078
Suicide: 19392
Accident: 606
Legal intervention: 344
Unknown: 252

So, I'll assume you are right about 600 murders in the UK. I'll pro-rata that to account for population as 600/64.1m x 318.9m (it's closer to five times than 4 btw) to get 2985 homicides a year. So in fact, on a pro-rata basis (based on population) the rate of homicide in the US is 3.71 times greater and not 13 times as you calculated.

However, is population really the best way to examine this?

There are about 300 million guns in the US, that's almost one a person. That's an unfathomably small number of murders per gun (0.00003693) By contrast, I'd be surprised if there were more than a half a million in the UK, 0.0078 per person. It's still a small number but much greater than the US (0.0012 homicides per gun)

So if you were to measure homicide by guns in the UK based on gun availability you'd conclude that Britain was a far more dangerous place to be. There are 32.49 times as many homicides by guns/per gun in the UK as the US. (0.0012/0.00003693)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending