The Student Room Group

Mental health services should not be around

I actually think they do not help at all and you're better off not speaking about how you feel because speaking about how you feel just makes you feel a whole lot worse because these therapists would put their feelings on you and won't let you feel how you feel. You don't have the right to have a religion when speaking to them and all some of them do is pick on you about weight if that is the only problem you have and won't help you with anything else because you can't get help for nothing else and they assess you with questionnaires like they are even useful and they ruin your lives by getting people to visit your house because you are not in education or training and below 18, and they send your CAMHS records or mental health records everywhere like to your employer, to your school, to your GP, everywhere. Everyone just thinks you're mental and you won't ever be hired because of that. They would say that they would get the college to liaise with other agencies to support me with structured activities like what does that even mean when they aren't even speaking to the college because I already dropped out as CAMHS got involved and I didn't want teachers and students staring at me thinking I was mental?

I am glad I haven't been under adult mental health services because I am sure they are worse than CAMHS, and they would be more harsh and say all your problems are in your head, right? I have been under an eating disorder service and obviously I hated it because I don't want to recover from it and refused treatment for it.
Am I the only person who thinks that?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

i think so. talking to someone might do you good and/or reading a book
Original post by jensaw
i think so. talking to someone might do you good and/or reading a book

Loads of people talk about how mental health services are bad, I have heard barely any good stories or no where near as many complaints that people have about it
Loads of people talk about how mental health services are bad, I have heard barely any good stories or no where near as many complaints that people have about it

they can be but removing them completely is not the way. improvement>removal however the government is really not supporting their improvement
Reply 5
Worth pointing out just because you dont like it doesn't mean it doesn't benefit others. Advising people that it 'makes you feel worse' is downright irresp[o\\onsible.
Why not just advocate for improving mental health services?
I actually think they do not help at all and you're better off not speaking about how you feel because speaking about how you feel just makes you feel a whole lot worse because these therapists would put their feelings on you and won't let you feel how you feel. You don't have the right to have a religion when speaking to them and all some of them do is pick on you about weight if that is the only problem you have and won't help you with anything else because you can't get help for nothing else and they assess you with questionnaires like they are even useful and they ruin your lives by getting people to visit your house because you are not in education or training and below 18, and they send your CAMHS records or mental health records everywhere like to your employer, to your school, to your GP, everywhere. Everyone just thinks you're mental and you won't ever be hired because of that. They would say that they would get the college to liaise with other agencies to support me with structured activities like what does that even mean when they aren't even speaking to the college because I already dropped out as CAMHS got involved and I didn't want teachers and students staring at me thinking I was mental?

I am glad I haven't been under adult mental health services because I am sure they are worse than CAMHS, and they would be more harsh and say all your problems are in your head, right? I have been under an eating disorder service and obviously I hated it because I don't want to recover from it and refused treatment for it.

That's really funny. I have been in services since 2018 and I know I couldn't have done it without them. It's people like you that mess up our world. Services saved my best friend so yeah.

I'm sorry to read that has been your experience.
As someone who works in services I will be the first to say that they are not perfect, it is a challenging system to work in however, I see my colleagues give their best every single day.
Of course there are gaps and a lot of things need to align for one to fully benefit from treatment but I don't agree things would be better without or that they do more harm than good.
I was never under CAMHS but I had the worst experience under adult mental health
What you've described is not at all how a mental health professional conducts themselves. And to be quite honest, you sound like you could probably use some guidance yourself. What your concern seems to be is the stigma that goes along with getting mental health services, which is something that you can address by being in a good program, and it's also becoming less of an issue in society at large. Ignoring things and hoping they'll go away is just setting yourself up for failure down the line. Get some help for your own good and it's okay if you have to go through a couple therapists/agencies to find one that works best for you.
As someone working towards this kind of career path, mental health services help an awful lot of people, there are also many different kinds of therapies and treatments available, not everything works for everyone. But you can’t just dismiss an entire sector because of an individual bad experience.
they ruin your lives by getting people to visit your house because you are not in education or training and below 18, and they send your CAMHS records or mental health records everywhere like to your employer, to your school, to your GP, everywhere. Everyone just thinks you're mental and you won't ever be hired because of that. They would say that they would get the college to liaise with other agencies to support me with structured activities like what does that even mean when they aren't even speaking to the college because I already dropped out as CAMHS got involved and I didn't want teachers and students staring at me thinking I was mental?

There's your issue. CAMHS are terrible. I had a lot of therapy as a kid and oh my god they're awful. Trust me the adult ones are better they make you feel so comfy and go at your own pace so you're not overwhelmed. I'd say if CBT doesn't work for you try DBT because that helped me more than CBT.
Original post by Admit-One
Why not just advocate for improving mental health services?

That's a meme at the moment.
Original post by Napp
Worth pointing out just because you dont like it doesn't mean it doesn't benefit others. Advising people that it 'makes you feel worse' is downright irresp[o\\onsible.

On the other side there has been a constant stream of videos or documentaries highlighting the abuse from these industries.
Original post by Coffeeology
I was never under CAMHS but I had the worst experience under adult mental health

Same.

Mental health workers kept visiting my home, even when I told them that I don't need their services, I did engage with them once to try and get them to go away, but they are a parasite that keeps coming back, I had a couple of times last year, there's no doubt, but forcing mental health workers on me and letting them come to my house unscheduled and call me at random times was jarring. I haven't even talking about my mental health for quite some time and they still keep coming back, after I told them not to, it's obvious they don't trust me, sometimes, I'm at university, but they keep coming back for no reason.
Original post by noelissocute
It's people like you that mess up our world. Services saved my best friend so yeah.

How are they messing up the world? They had a negative experience and are allowed to voice their opinion, I personally wouldn't recommend mental health help to my friends nor family based on my experiences, but I wouldn't tell anyone that, unless they asked for my opinion, if people want to pursue mental health services, then so be it, and if it is beneficial for them, then that's amazing, but it doesn't work out for everyone, I had my privacy invaded and it's made me feel worse, so I relate to the OP, I don't agree with everything they are saying, but if people can praise mental health services, then people should also be allowed to criticise it as well.
Original post by CursedBoxFox
There's your issue. CAMHS are terrible. I had a lot of therapy as a kid and oh my god they're awful. Trust me the adult ones are better they make you feel so comfy and go at your own pace so you're not overwhelmed. I'd say if CBT doesn't work for you try DBT because that helped me more than CBT.

I have the opposite of this experience, adult mental health services just keep popping out of nowhere for me, when I thought I got rid of them, three months later, they send me a letter, they show up my house whenever they want, call me whenever they want and I tried to engage with them, but they just keep doing the same things, I have expressed my concerns to them but they won't listen. You want to talk to me? Schedule things and don't just contact me unprovoked, especially 3 months later randomly, just send a text, goddamn it.

Quick Reply

Latest