The Student Room Group

side effects of mastrubation for men?

what are the side effect i have always heard myths about it
and is it addictive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dream_big
what are the side effect i have always heard myths about it
and is it addictive

I don't think there really are any. It's quite a natural thing so your body is fine with it. What sort of rumours have you heard?

there is a possibility for things to happen because of it but that's more to do with how it's done ( if you have poor hygiene and don't clean it you run the risk of infection etc). I'm sure some people are addicted, but that isn't a usual concern. You do tend to do it more once you're used to it I guess but that isn't addiction.
Side-effects include relaxation afterwards, being able to learn how to control when you ejaculate, and things like that.

If you feel guilty about doing it, stop... feeling guilty: far more men masturbate than have any other form of sexual outlet.
no side effects
if you don't do it, don't start
Reply 5
A absolutely fckin great feeling at the end
I read that regular masturbation can reduce the risk of testicular cancer dramatically - so I guess that's a side effect
Reply 7
Some people say it depletes your body of trace minerals that are hard to replace and help give us energy etc. My girlfriend has challenged me to stop having orgasms in sympathy for girls who undergo FGM. I've just started but will let you know whether I have more energy as a result.
What about MGM? Aka circumcision? You should masturbate in respect for the men who have sadly been mutilated at birth without a word in on the matter :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Mark19
Some people say it depletes your body of trace minerals that are hard to replace and help give us energy etc. My girlfriend has challenged me to stop having orgasms in sympathy for girls who undergo FGM. I've just started but will let you know whether I have more energy as a result.

Don't stop Mark, PLEASE don't stop 😉
Reply 10
Original post by Drez999
Don't stop Mark, PLEASE don't stop 😉

Why not? Girls who've been mutilated can't have orgasms, and go through huge pain and sometimes life threatening side effects. Compared to that, one geeky student going orgasm-free to please his feminist girlfriend is surely no big deal. It's not like we're ready to have kids yet. I can have orgasms again when we are, if we're still together then.
Original post by Mark19
My girlfriend has challenged me to stop having orgasms in sympathy for girls who undergo FGM.

lol
Reply 12
Hmmmm. 😳
Reply 13
your foreskin and fall off
Reply 14
Original post by Mark19
Why not? Girls who've been mutilated can't have orgasms, and go through huge pain and sometimes life threatening side effects. Compared to that, one geeky student going orgasm-free to please his feminist girlfriend is surely no big deal. It's not like we're ready to have kids yet. I can have orgasms again when we are, if we're still together then.

I assume she isn't having any orgasms either then? Seems like an off form of action to undergo tbh but whatever tickles your fancy.
Reply 15
Original post by Dheorl
I assume she isn't having any orgasms either then? Seems like an off form of action to undergo tbh but whatever tickles your fancy.

I think she'd go mad if she had to go more than 24hrs without at least one orgasm, whether it's from me or her toys.
Reply 16
Original post by Mark19
I think she'd go mad if she had to go more than 24hrs without at least one orgasm, whether it's from me or her toys.

Seems a bit hypocritical don't you think?
Reply 17
Original post by Dheorl
Seems a bit hypocritical don't you think?

Not really. Girls need orgasms a lot more than guys. Their climaxes are a lot more intense than ours and last longer, so it's harder for them to go without. Plus they have to cope with extra horniness due to PMT and period pain which can be reduced by orgasming.

There are many millions of women and girls who've been permanently deprived of the ability to experience orgasm by FGM. They also experience huge pain from the operation and recovery and can also have lifelong side effects.

Compared to all that, one guy voluntarily going without shooting his load to show his support for his girlfriend who is passionate about eradicating FGM is no hardship at all. I'm proud to be doing it, and welcome anyone joining me.
Reply 18
Original post by Mark19
Not really. Girls need orgasms a lot more than guys. Their climaxes are a lot more intense than ours and last longer, so it's harder for them to go without.

False on all three counts.

Original post by Mark19
Plus they have to cope with extra horniness due to PMT and period pain which can be reduced by orgasming.

This much is true. Still not something girls who have suffered severe FGM can do though.

Original post by Mark19
There are many millions of women and girls who've been permanently deprived of the ability to experience orgasm by FGM. They also experience huge pain from the operation and recovery and can also have lifelong side effects.

Compared to all that, one guy voluntarily going without shooting his load to show his support for his girlfriend who is passionate about eradicating FGM is no hardship at all. I'm proud to be doing it, and welcome anyone joining me.

Why doesn't said girlfriend do it as well? I really don't understand why she's expecting you to support a cause she's passionate about when she isn't willing to show solidarity herself.
Reply 19
Original post by Dheorl
False on all three counts.

This much is true. Still not something girls who have suffered severe FGM can do though.

Why doesn't said girlfriend do it as well? I really don't understand why she's expecting you to support a cause she's passionate about when she isn't willing to show solidarity herself.

I think you're wrong in disagreeing that girls have stronger, longer and more numerous orgasms than guys. I can't prove it scientifically but my experience of having sex and what people say generally leads me to think this. And there's no disagreement that girls can use orgasms to deal with horniness or period pain when they have PMT or their periods - or that those who've undergone FGM don't have this option.

My girlfriend volunteers for a charity that tries to eradicate this terrible custom and also gives it money when she can. She does a lot. How many guys help eradicate FGM? I bet not many.

She wants me to make a symbolic show of support by giving up orgasms on the basis that there are literally hundreds of millions of women and girls who can't climax due to FGM, and if a few guys were deprived of it too then they might sympathise more and want to do something about it.

I don't think it's a big thing to do, I enjoy helping her orgasm more than I like cumming myself anyway. But it means a lot to her, and I agree if a lot of us would do it, we'd think a lot more about how evil FGM is and why it must be opposed.

Quick Reply

Latest