The Student Room Group

How to prepare for a Physics interview?

Hi!

At AS I achieved CEEC with a C in maths, E in Physics and geology and laso a C in geography. My predictions were ABB, and York's standard offer is AAA. My teacher did write in my reference about poor physics teaching last year, but they're hardly extenuating circumstances.

Anyway, I've been given an interview at York (somehow) and am wondering how to prepare. I feel sure I'll be asked about the AS grades, but also I heard they ask technical Physics+Maths problems?

Anyone with experience?

Thank you
Hello :smile:

I'm applying for physics this year too! I've only had one interview so far because the majority of universities I've applied to don't interview.

I would say to make sure you're definitely confident with the AS Physics material as they might as you about that, and try to go over some of the A2 stuff you've been doing. Also try to make sure that if somebody asked you "so why do you want to do a physics degree?", that you'd be able to give a straight to the point answer (try not to use the cliche "My love for physics began when i was 5..."). :wink:

Lastly, make sure you could answer any questions that they may ask you on your personal statement such as particular interests you've shown as well as trying to make sure you've got good knowledge of your favourite topics outside of the curriculum scope to show that you're a proactive learner.

Try to relax because they won't be trying to catch you out, it's just an excellent opportunity to discuss one of your favourite things with someone who also shares the same passion. :h:
Original post by EmmaLouise759
Hello :smile:

I'm applying for physics this year too! I've only had one interview so far because the majority of universities I've applied to don't interview.

I would say to make sure you're definitely confident with the AS Physics material as they might as you about that, and try to go over some of the A2 stuff you've been doing. Also try to make sure that if somebody asked you "so why do you want to do a physics degree?", that you'd be able to give a straight to the point answer (try not to use the cliche "My love for physics began when i was 5...":wink:. :wink:

Lastly, make sure you could answer any questions that they may ask you on your personal statement such as particular interests you've shown as well as trying to make sure you've got good knowledge of your favourite topics outside of the curriculum scope to show that you're a proactive learner.

Try to relax because they won't be trying to catch you out, it's just an excellent opportunity to discuss one of your favourite things with someone who also shares the same passion. :h:

Wow, thanks for the reassurance! :smile: Where did you apply? And did you have a Physics/ Maths question?

Thank you!
Original post by yellowfan1555
Wow, thanks for the reassurance! :smile: Where did you apply? And did you have a Physics/ Maths question?

Thank you!

I applied to Oxford, St. Andrews, Bath, Exeter and Liverpool. Got my offer from Exeter tonight which is the one I had the interview at. :tongue:

They asked me a question based on a conversation we were having about my personal statement so it'll probably flow from that *hint hint* :wink:

Best of luck with everything :h:
Original post by EmmaLouise759
I applied to Oxford, St. Andrews, Bath, Exeter and Liverpool. Got my offer from Exeter tonight which is the one I had the interview at. :tongue:

They asked me a question based on a conversation we were having about my personal statement so it'll probably flow from that *hint hint* :wink:

Best of luck with everything :h:

Thank you so much! And congrats on the interview going well!

Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending