The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Physics Interview

I have an interview with Lancaster University in January for their physics with astrophysics course but i am not sure what to expect and how it will take place on the day, except traveling up and spending the day there, I would love some advice on how to prepare for this and what the day will be like. Many thanks x
Hi I had an interview day a few weeks ago! First you have a tour of the department, (and you may have a tour of the campus before if you get there early.) We then had lunch and then after that half the people went to a taster lecture and half to do the interviews, then we swapped. The interview itself is really chill so don’t stress too much over it. They will probably also ask something about your personal statement. From what I understand you’re basically guaranteed an offer if you are invited to interview but if it goes well you may be given a lower offer provided that you firm Lancaster. Then there was just a general Lancaster physics talk and that was it. Hope this helped and just ask if you have any more questions :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by brooding-overall
I have an interview with Lancaster University in January for their physics with astrophysics course but i am not sure what to expect and how it will take place on the day, except traveling up and spending the day there, I would love some advice on how to prepare for this and what the day will be like. Many thanks x

Hi my daughter had an interview there back in 2019. she applied for physics with astro and physics with particle and cosmology.
Her interview was much different than the one she has at York and Oxford. She felt much more at ease and they talked about her personal statement and asked questions on the topics she mentioned she liked to study in that statement.
The day itself started off by parking at the south east car park (near grad/lonsdale/cartmel college) and there was a complimentary bus which then dropped us off at the underpass. We then went to the physics atrium, where there was someone there who checked in my daughter and we had a drink tea coffee etc and after everyone had showed up, we was then taken to I think it was the second floor? where we had a presentation with projection on Lancaster and the university and how they were in the top 10 etc etc.
We then had a tour of the physics department. Then it was a buffet at lunch. This for staff, students helping out and interviewees and parents.
After this was the interviews. There was students being called to individual offices, whilst the parents/carers could wait in the atrium, or attend a talk on the history of the uni, the internship opportunities. It lasted around 20 mins, and after this as an optional tour of the uni, but as we had done this on open day, we left at this point. She got an offer a few days later.

York her questions were one maths based, one physics based and was in no relation to her PS. I cant really say what the actual question was but the topic was momentum.
Oxford had more than one person interviewing and she had a maths interview, a physics interview at one college, and at another college a half hour interview on maths/physics combined.
lancaster physics interview video its worth watching this 🙂
Lancaster staff are great and have been a constant source of support over the years shes been there. Her supervisor has been helping with her PS for phds at Lancaster/Manchester/Birmingham/Liverpool recently so shes prepping for interviews she she get one at one of this unis.
Original post by sparklydinosaur
Hi I had an interview day a few weeks ago! First you have a tour of the department, (and you may have a tour of the campus before if you get there early.) We then had lunch and then after that half the people went to a taster lecture and half to do the interviews, then we swapped. The interview itself is really chill so don’t stress too much over it. They will probably also ask something about your personal statement. From what I understand you’re basically guaranteed an offer if you are invited to interview but if it goes well you may be given a lower offer provided that you firm Lancaster. Then there was just a general Lancaster physics talk and that was it. Hope this helped and just ask if you have any more questions :smile:

Thank you that's really helpful, i hope your interview went well! x
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi my daughter had an interview there back in 2019. she applied for physics with astro and physics with particle and cosmology.
Her interview was much different than the one she has at York and Oxford. She felt much more at ease and they talked about her personal statement and asked questions on the topics she mentioned she liked to study in that statement.
The day itself started off by parking at the south east car park (near grad/lonsdale/cartmel college) and there was a complimentary bus which then dropped us off at the underpass. We then went to the physics atrium, where there was someone there who checked in my daughter and we had a drink tea coffee etc and after everyone had showed up, we was then taken to I think it was the second floor? where we had a presentation with projection on Lancaster and the university and how they were in the top 10 etc etc.
We then had a tour of the physics department. Then it was a buffet at lunch. This for staff, students helping out and interviewees and parents.
After this was the interviews. There was students being called to individual offices, whilst the parents/carers could wait in the atrium, or attend a talk on the history of the uni, the internship opportunities. It lasted around 20 mins, and after this as an optional tour of the uni, but as we had done this on open day, we left at this point. She got an offer a few days later.

York her questions were one maths based, one physics based and was in no relation to her PS. I cant really say what the actual question was but the topic was momentum.
Oxford had more than one person interviewing and she had a maths interview, a physics interview at one college, and at another college a half hour interview on maths/physics combined.
lancaster physics interview video its worth watching this 🙂
Lancaster staff are great and have been a constant source of support over the years shes been there. Her supervisor has been helping with her PS for phds at Lancaster/Manchester/Birmingham/Liverpool recently so shes prepping for interviews she she get one at one of this unis.

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by brooding-overall

Hiya,

First of all, congrats on your interview!! I know interviews can be quite daunting, but the physics department at Lancaster tends to calm your nerves quite a bit, as the two previous responses have described to you.

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster and I also help out at interview days for the physics department. What the two previous responses have described is a great rundown of the day as a whole, with the main parts of the day being: a tour of the physics building and our main equipment used with our lovely ambassadors, a lunch where you can continue asking ambassadors various questions about the uni / life in Lancaster / physics at Lancaster etc., after lunch you'll have your interview and then a physics talk / Q&A session at the end.

The day is structured so we don't put pressure on your interview as we want every student to feel relaxed and be themselves, so don't worry too much about it as the interview is a way to get to know you better, see how you feel about physics and a chance for you to get a feel of the department / uni to see if you like it.

I hope this answers your queries and you feel more at ease, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I wish you all the best for your interview and good luck!
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending