The Student Room Group

What connotations can you find?

When describing someone as like a 'great ship', other than largeness, what connotations do you find?
Reply 1
Navy boys keep coming inside them, and they are full of seamen.
Reply 2
Original post by Arkasia
Navy boys keep coming inside them, and they are full of seamen.

I hope not, if you only knew the character XD
Mighty, powerful, headstrong.
Capable of holding themselves (and perhaps others?) in rough situations? It's hard to say when I don't know the character! Which character are they, and from what text?
Reply 4
Original post by chloetraynor
Mighty, powerful, headstrong.
Capable of holding themselves (and perhaps others?) in rough situations? It's hard to say when I don't know the character! Which character are they, and from what text?

It is the chapter named 'Swelter' from Mervyn Peake's Titus Groan, of the Gormenghast trilogy.

And thank you, I had something similar in mind.
Reply 5
Original post by JPO92
A fantastically witless response. A* for lack of creativity, you did so well.

Thank you, I do try.

In all seriousness, which character is it? Hard to say what might be meant if we don't know who it describes.
Original post by JPO92
It is the chapter named 'Swelter' from Mervyn Peake's Titus Groan, of the Gormenghast trilogy.

And thank you, I had something similar in mind.

Ah, I've never read it so I couldn't help any further, sorry!
Reply 7
Also stubbornness - 'great ships are slow to turn'.
Reply 8
Original post by Smonnie
Also stubbornness - 'great ships are slow to turn'.

That is a beautiful illustration of the connotation of stubborness in terms of that metaphor. You win all the points, bravo!
Reply 9
Original post by JPO92
That is a beautiful illustration of the connotation of stubborness in terms of that metaphor. You win all the points, bravo!

The irony would be that a 'great ship' would actually require significant direction, guidance, supervision and input from many others.

You could also compare to Helen of Troy, who was 'the face that launched a thousand ships' - whereas this person is being compared to the ship itself.
Reply 10
Original post by Smonnie
The irony would be that a 'great ship' would actually require significant direction, guidance, supervision and input from many others.

You could also compare to Helen of Troy, who was 'the face that launched a thousand ships' - whereas this person is being compared to the ship itself.

You are in a different league my friend. I wish I was as imaginative as you, or even half that.
Original post by JPO92
You are in a different league my friend. I wish I was as imaginative as you, or even half that.

I used to love English lessons, and wish it were just me and the teacher talking! Saddo, I know!

Still, if you need to talk anything else through, Julian, I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest