The Student Room Group

Structural and language devices!!!-english help

Can someone give me a list of structural devices and language devices for English? are rhetorical questions a language or structural device????
Reply 1
Language Devices:
- Metaphors
- Similies
- Alliteration
- Rhetorical Question
- Repetition
- Triplets
- Pathetic Fallacy (Where the weather presents the current mood)

Structural Decives:
- Short Sentances
- Complex Sentances
- Punctuation
- Short Paragraphs
Reply 2
For poems, structural features could include caesura and enjambment, and perhaps a varied length of the stanzas.
Off the top of my head, language techniques include personification, metaphors, similes, hyperboles, idioms, polysyndeton (for Charles Dickens especially!), repetition, symbolism, connotations of words, emotive language.
Structural techniques could include semantic fields, anaphora, epistrophe, repetition, narrative hook, changing paragraph length, etc.
Language:
- Alliteration
-Assonance
-Metaphor
-Simile
-Personification
-Oxymoron
-Connotations
-Imagery

Structure:
-Asyndeton
-Polysyndeton
-Repetition
-Enjambment (poetry)
-Caesura (poetry)
- Focus Shift
- Sentence structure
- Refrain
- Anaphora (poetry)
Reply 4
Original post by Anthos
For poems, structural features could include caesura and enjambment, and perhaps a varied length of the stanzas.
Off the top of my head, language techniques include personification, metaphors, similes, hyperboles, idioms, polysyndeton (for Charles Dickens especially!), repetition, symbolism, connotations of words, emotive language.
Structural techniques could include semantic fields, anaphora, epistrophe, repetition, narrative hook, changing paragraph length, etc.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest