The Student Room Group

Fallen in love with a friend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I don't think going for a meal or doing something just on their own would work tbh because if you're that close you probably do that stuff anyway. I mean with my best friend we'll both make a huge effort with each other (well beyond what most people would normally do for a friend) and always meet up and go for a walk, go for dinner, go on a night out, watch films together, we've been on holiday together, she'll get changed in front of me etc. If you do these things with someone you haven't known long then it is obvious what the intentions are but it's different with a best friend, you just don't see anything sexual at all because it feels so wrong.

To be honest the only way you'll find out is if you're blunt and spell it out for him. Being subtle or trying to hint won't work. If you've been close for years it probably wouldn't change anything in the long term anyway.

A lot of people won't do anything with someone they get along well with. There's just too much risk.

Are you a girl? Because as a guy I don't really understand that
Original post by Anonymous
Maintaining the friendship is definitely important to me, In fact i'd bring that up even if we did end up together. Because the friendship has led me to feel this way about him, so I wouldn't want to lose that either way. Its scary jumping into a relationship with someone you're good friends with because I wouldn't want anything to change..

So is it more of a case of you wanting to have him as a friend, but don't want him to have a girlfriend because that would weaken your friendship, so instead you would settle for a relationship? :colondollar:
Original post by uberteknik
As the old saying goes: he who hesitates is lost. If you are sure of your feelings for him, you need to tell him. It's a risky strategy but the alternative is unrequited love in which your life will be placed in stasis indefinitely.

Confronting it will give you an answer either way. Then you know where you both stand and can make your plans accordingly.

Waiting for him to make the first move is a risk you will lose him to someone else.

I've been in denial for a while, but i can say now that i am sure of my feelings for him. I feel like theres an equal amount of risk in waiting as there is in opening up, and the waiting card just seems safer. I would go for it if he was clearer towards me, I really don't want to embarrass myself.
Original post by Unbannable
So is it more of a case of you wanting to have him as a friend, but don't want him to have a girlfriend because that would weaken your friendship, so instead you would settle for a relationship? :colondollar:

Not at all, I want to be with him, but the person he is now.. I don't want him to change for a relationship like to feel like he needs to act a certain way.. I meant that the way we are now has made me fall for him so giving it a title shouldn't change anything between us, like how they say your partner should also be your best friend. I don't enjoy the thought of him being with anyone else, and this isn't only because of how it would effect our friendship.
Lovr will destroy everything. Stay friends.
Lovr will destroy everything. Stay friends.

This is my exact fear. Have you had any experiences?
This is my exact fear. Have you had any experiences?

Yep.
It blinds you. It makes you drop everything. It takes over you. It makes you irrational.
Love is dangerous. Beware.
Reply 27
I am kind of in the same situation. Except that I'm 100% sure she only likes me as a friend. So there's no point in telling her.

Imo, if you think you have a chance AND if you can't live like that anymore, just tell him. I know it's hard to lose a good friend (maybe you won't lose him but things will be different, even if you both say it won't) but it's really hard to be friends with a person you like that much. Otherwise, stay friends.

I chose to stay friends because I have basically no chance. But if things don't change (i.e. I still have feelings for her in a few months) I think I'll just tell her and forget her. It's just too hard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't ever make the first move, that's for him to do, not you.:lolwut:
Original post by TSRforum

Do you think its wrong for me to even drop hints? how long am I supposed to wait?
Original post by Conkerr
I am kind of in the same situation. Except that I'm 100% sure she only likes me as a friend. So there's no point in telling her.

Imo, if you think you have a chance AND if you can't live like that anymore, just tell him. I know it's hard to lose a good friend (maybe you won't lose him but things will be different, even if you both say it won't) but it's really hard to be friends with a person you like that much. Otherwise, stay friends.

I chose to stay friends because I have basically no chance. But if things don't change (i.e. I still have feelings for her in a few months) I think I'll just tell her and forget her. It's just too hard.

Yeah it really is difficult to stay as just friends and wanting more from the other person, so I'm sorry to hear about your situation.. Its just difficult opening up to someone when you're unsure of how how they feel in return
Yep.
It blinds you. It makes you drop everything. It takes over you. It makes you irrational.
Love is dangerous. Beware.

:frown:
Reply 32
Yeah it really is difficult to stay as just friends and wanting more from the other person, so I'm sorry to hear about your situation.. Its just difficult opening up to someone when you're unsure of how how they feel in return

Yes. I feel the same thing as you don't worry we're both in the same boat :frown:

We're ****ed either way. We don't tell them we won't stop suffering, we do and they don't feel the same way we'll lose a really good friend...

How progressive. :rofl:
Do you think its wrong for me to even drop hints? how long am I supposed to wait?

Is there any other girl he talks to more than you?
Original post by SeanFM
How progressive. :rofl:

Girls can make the first move, but not after 2+years of being together. Rarely does that lead to anything good, if its taken this long chances are the boy just wants to remain friends so I wouldn't do it.
Thread Started, listen to me on this one. Anon who was posting about love destroying everything isnt wrong, but love is a massive part of living. Theres no point in quitting now, by the sounds of things you are more or less there, you just have to wait for him to make the move. Were all going to get hurt at some point, so whats the point in delaying it. Go for it, if you get with this guy the time you spend with him may be the best time of your life, is it worth risking that because you dont want to get hurt or want to hurt people? Time will heal all wounds, make the most of opportunities while they last.
Girls can make the first move, but not after 2+years of being together. Rarely does that lead to anything good, if its taken this long chances are the boy just wants to remain friends so I wouldn't do it.

You may or may not be right about the last bit, I don't know. But I think that she can still make the first move. :smile:
Original post by Conkerr

In such a similar situation with my best guy friend. But he's gone to uni so I'm trying to move on...
But if I was you, TELL HER!!!! If I was her, I would want to know. I think its only natural for girl and guy friends to get romantic feelings for each other at some point. If she is truly your friend, she will either feel the same or will remain just friends.
Original post by Conkerr
Yes. I feel the same thing as you don't worry we're both in the same boat :frown:

We're ****ed either way. We don't tell them we won't stop suffering, we do and they don't feel the same way we'll lose a really good friend...

litterally, unless of course the miracle happens where they feel the same way and we all live happily ever after! Lets hope that does happen for the both of us..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending