The Student Room Group

Dating someone who is completely different to you

Hey - so a bit of a long one. I am a fourth year student at a top university and over my summer I worked as a waitress near where I live. I ended up dating a guy I worked with, who was a bit older than me, and worked as a full-time barman there. Long story short, I ended up falling in love with him and now he is my boyfriend. I've returned to university and we've decided to try long-distance. It was so perfect, and in some ways it still is. But I can't help but have apprehensions about how completely different our lives are, and how rationally he makes no sense to have fallen in love with. For starters he lives on the other end of the country and his career is in hospitality, whereas after uni I'd love to move to London and work in media or journalism. He never went to university himself, and so he doesn't quite understand the lifestyle or the point of it. My friends have asked me about him and what he does for a living and I have to just try and brush over the question, because I can't help but feel like they'll judge me for dating someone not from the same world. I know this is excessively shallow and there are so many things about him that I love, that are nothing to do with this. I suppose as well that love is meant to be irrational. But if I am looking into the long-term I can't see how I can live the life I want when he wants to live a different one. Part of me thinks that because I am only in my early twenties though, that I shouldn't be thinking about the future or whether he has a good job or not but just about what's good right now, and about the positives of our relationship. I asked a friend and they agreed with exactly this and said quite often opposites attract and they have stronger relationships because of it. So should I continue my summer romance or end it for the real world?Please give honest responses guys!
Reply 1
Ultimately, the decision to continue or end a relationship is a deeply personal one. It's essential to prioritise your own happiness and well-being while also considering the needs and aspirations of your partner. Relationships often require compromise and adjustment, but they should also contribute positively to your life and support your personal growth and goals. Take your time to evaluate your feelings, communicate openly with your boyfriend, and make a decision that aligns with your values and aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending