The Student Room Group

Something smells rotten here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Or just influenced by them?

No I've studied Islamic history and read what Islamic scholars have said about the matter

But shoot the messenger as it's easier than accepting the truth,
Original post by Jonny360
What's wrong with Islamophobia? Islam is an idea, and ideas and ideologies are not immune from criticism. Some parts of the Qu'ran are absolutely abhorrent, and why should anyone be ashamed of being opposed to them?

I am against Slavery, including sex slavery;
I am against intolerance to those with difference views;
I am against gender discrimination;
I am against restrictions of freedom of speech, belief and expression;
I am against murder, torture and unjust punishment;

and for this I am Islamophobic. Judge me all you wish. I consider myself a tolerant human being, as opposed to those who follow the Qu'ran literally. I have nothing against Muslims, they are often brainwashed from a young age into following the religion, but the religion itself is abhorrent. I can only hope that it liberalises over time, as has happened to Christianity, as it was equally terrible in past times.

Hmmm I don't think the Quran is the only medium that endorses these practices.

Understanding the contexts of the state of affairs back in the medieval days will give you reasonable premise why this verse was revealed. Of course this also depends on the kind of person you are. If you are violent / peaceful / reasonable / open minded you can interpret and conclude Islam as a religion accordingly.

However, the above does not mean Quran is free from barbaric practices. There are, and they should be condemned and disallowed to flourish in the 21st Century (acts like stoning and beheading)
Original post by BaconandSauce
No I've studied Islamic history and read what Islamic scholars have said about the matter

But shoot the messenger as it's easier than accepting the truth,

It's nice that you take them so seriously then. Evidently I was mistaken and we should set aside 300 years of enlightenment and our modern secular states and go back immediately to the Christian/Islam wars of the 13th Century because some Islamic scholars say that's how it is and some Christian fundamentalists agree with them and claim it's all part of an inevitable history and ignore any and all evidence to the contrary because some lunatics from one of the main religions are currently running around declaring that their fringe cult is the one true representative of it. Oh and we should give in to the rants of people on web forums who presumably would only be truly satisfied by a genocide of Muslims plus I assume the nuking of all Arab states?
It's nice that you take them so seriously then.

Yes I tend to take muslim scholars and their understanding of their faith very seriously

To ignore it would be stupid would it not..
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes I tend to take muslim scholars and their understanding of their faith very seriously

To ignore it would be stupid would it not..

Yeah, I think you can predict everything about the workings of the modern world from a close reading of Islamic scholarly ramblings.
Yeah, I think you can predict everything about the workings of the modern world from a close reading of Islamic scholarly ramblings.

Shooting the messenger

But then I won't get all stabby when my opinions are challenged so I suppose I'm the easy target
Original post by QE2
Do you define "bashing and alienating" to include logical and reasonable criticism of their chosed ideology?

No I don't consider reasonable critique as bashing. The kind of thing I'm talking about are idiots like the EDL and Britain First who offer no intelligent debate.

Original post by QE2
Also, why are other groups who are being/have been bashed and alienated not fallen into the hands of radicals with a violent agenda in the same way? You don't think that perhaps the fact that their ideology already contains the extreme and violent, has something to do with it?

I'm not sure any group has had it this bad before in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
And?

Sadly, twas ever thus. I take solace in the fact that 99% of them are not meant seriously, they're just there to rile people.

Original post by Unkempt_One
Several years ago there were threads like this except much tamer, but they were negged to oblivion and spammed with outraged comments. There were also loads of posters who just posted one-liners and gags since that was the sure-fire way to rack up mad pos. Since negs were removed the primary motivator of anonymised disapproval and snark has been deconstructed, and rather than contest these views maturely it seems many just left, and thus the threads have got worse. That's how I see it anyway.

Or the lies and ignorance of "Nothing to do with Islam" are starting to be deconstructed and exposed as people are forced to deal with the uncomfortable reality facing us all
Original post by Underscore__

Posted from TSR Mobile

Racists and Homophobic idiots have
No I don't consider reasonable critique as bashing. The kind of thing I'm talking about are idiots like the EDL and Britain First who offer no intelligent debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2015 Brits are largely liberal and good people. This goes against beliefs like homophobia, subjegation of women, religious supremity, cutting aid workers heads of etc

Plenty of intelligent debate and discussion around, your just looking for a reason to justify your victim status which is another common theme people are cottoning onto
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Or the lies and ignorance of "Nothing to do with Islam" are starting to be deconstructed and exposed as people are forced to deal with the uncomfortable reality facing us all

The problem is that whilst clearly the "nothing to do with Islam" argument doesn't really wash, the opposite view, that mainstream Islam is 100% dedicated to the mass murder of infidels is also full of falsehood, not least because visibly it isn't true. Therefore the extreme arguments on both sides are presenting a false view of reality about Islamic thought, tradition and modern interpretation/actions which are more complex.

The big danger is that we create an even more fertile recruitment ground for IS and their fellow travelling groups by tarring all Muslims with the same brush and harshly treating them as a result. Even those who can't stand the idea of large immigrant populations in the west and in the UK have to acknowledge the reality, that 3m-odd Muslims live in this country who have up to now largely behaved peaceably. Do we really want that to collapse into Balkan-style madness just to satisfy our rage about IS and the current wave of Islamic extremist interpreters?
The problem is that whilst clearly the "nothing to do with Islam" argument doesn't really wash, the opposite view, that mainstream Islam is 100% dedicated to the mass murder of infidels is also full of falsehood,

This is absoloutely not true. This is not the mainstream view in the slightest. Western Media and Politicians are still pushing the "Nothing to do with Islam" argument. This view isnt even held by many vocal "far right" people like Tommy Robinson.

The big danger is that we create an even more fertile recruitment ground for IS and their fellow travelling groups by tarring all Muslims with the same brush and harshly treating them as a result. Even those who can't stand the idea of large immigrant populations in the west and in the UK have to acknowledge the reality, that 3m-odd Muslims live in this country who have up to now largely behaved peaceably. Do we really want that to collapse into Balkan-style madness just to satisfy our rage about IS and the current wave of Islamic extremist interpreters?

Nobody is tarring all muslims with the same brush, far from it. The only people who think this are people who see criticism, scrutiny and condemnation of Islam as an attack on all Muslims.
This is absoloutely not true. This is not the mainstream view in the slightest. Western Media and Politicians are still pushing the "Nothing to do with Islam" argument. This view isnt even held by many vocal "far right" people like Tommy Robinson.

I think it's broadly the view informing many of the reactions we see on web forums and there's plenty of it coming through on TSR. I don't think it's true that the mass media are generally covering it from an "Islam is not to blame" position - some politicians have been covered saying things like that, but we also have the Right in the US and elsewhere visibly acting in deeply bigoted anti-Muslim ways. We also see a dialogue of many newspapers featuring stories about how Muslims generally support part or all of the IS platform which we see repeated in web forums, often citing the same poll done some years back which had very dubious credentials.

Nobody is tarring all muslims with the same brush, far from it. The only people who think this are people who see criticism, scrutiny and condemnation of Islam as an attack on all Muslims.

Lots of people on the web are tarring and feathering. Objective consideration and scrutiny of Islam and the way it is interpreted and practised isn't very likely in the kind of atmosphere immediately following an outrage by a group claiming to be the sole authentic representative of that religion. It is also very doubtful that many western sources are truly knowledgeable enough about Islamic history and tradition to be 'objective'. What passes for scrutiny often boils down to regurgitation of material which when you trace it back online, comes originally from US christian fundamentalist sources, hardly objective.
I think it's broadly the view informing many of the reactions we see on web forums and there's plenty of it coming through on TSR. I don't think it's true that the mass media are generally covering it from an "Islam is not to blame" position - some politicians have been covered saying things like that, but we also have the Right in the US and elsewhere visibly acting in deeply bigoted anti-Muslim ways. We also see a dialogue of many newspapers featuring stories about how Muslims generally support part or all of the IS platform which we see repeated in web forums, often citing the same poll done some years back which had very dubious credentials.

Lots of people on the web are tarring and feathering. Objective consideration and scrutiny of Islam and the way it is interpreted and practised isn't very likely in the kind of atmosphere immediately following an outrage by a group claiming to be the sole authentic representative of that religion. It is also very doubtful that many western sources are truly knowledgeable enough about Islamic history and tradition to be 'objective'. What passes for scrutiny often boils down to regurgitation of material which when you trace it back online, comes originally from US christian fundamentalist sources, hardly objective.

Are you American?
Reply 54
I'm still not sure how the behaviour of some racist xenophobes would make a moderate British Muslim think "Ah, **** it! I'm off to Syria so I can get myself a sex slave and do a bit of killing", or "That's it, I'm going to blow up a train full of random people".

How bad are they having it, exactly? How many Muslims have been killed in hate attacks? Are jobs, housing and other services denied them because of their religion? Blacks and gays have been systematically targetted far more violently and for much longer. There have been deaths and institutionalised prejudice and even legislation. I don't recall how many Afro-Caribbeans and homosexuals were driven into the arms of violent radicals by it, or how many bombings and massacres were carried out in retaliation.
Reply 55
I think it's broadly the view informing many of the reactions we see on web forums and there's plenty of it coming through on TSR.
This is demonstrably not true. The xenophobic racism of the far right is in a small minority. Even UKIP don't claim that all Muslims want all kuffars dead, converted or dhimmis (although Islam as an ideology does).

Comments of that type are few and far between on TSR, and when they do occur, they always receive censure and criticism from the majority.

If there is a group who all display a universal mindset that is neither supported by evidence nor helpful to the problem, it is Muslim who all cliam that Islam in no way promotes violence and groups like ISIS have nothing to do with Islam.

We also see a dialogue of many newspapers featuring stories about how Muslims generally support part or all of the IS platform
References please.

which we see repeated in web forums, often citing the same poll done some years back which had very dubious credentials.
All the poll that I have seen (and they are conducted regularly) have been carried out by reputable market research companies, and the results are always fully published for anyone to analyse. So, again, could you cite the dubious credentials of the latest polls please?

Lots of people on the web are tarring and feathering.
Ironically, that is exactly what you are doing. And with exactly the same weak reasoning that you incorrectly accuse others of.

It is also very doubtful that many western sources are truly knowledgeable enough about Islamic history and tradition to be 'objective'.
Again, an unsupported assertion, and a non sequitur. There are many non-Muslims who are highly knowledgable about Islam. And what about ex-Muslims? Do they suddenly lose all their knowledge on apostasising?
By definition, it is impossible for a Muslim to be objective about Islam.

What passes for scrutiny often boils down to regurgitation of material which when you trace it back online, comes originally from US christian fundamentalist sources, hardly objective.
The reason that many online sources critical of Islam carry similar arguments is because those are often the most reasonable answers that arise from analysing Islamic scripture and history. The reason why those Christian websites say that the Quran permits slavery, or domestic violence, or killing of opponents of Islam, is because it does. In its own words. (Personally, I never use any online sources other that the Quran, hadith and tafsir from Islamic sites. That way, arguments like yours cannot be levelled.)

Another thing that also seems to escape apologists, if arguments put forward on "anti-Islam" sites are inadmissable because of bias, that so are arguments from "pro-Islam" sites.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Hmmm I don't think the Quran is the only medium that endorses these practices.

So you agree the Quran does endorse these practices
It is also very doubtful that many western sources are truly knowledgeable enough about Islamic history and tradition to be 'objective'.

You were using this against Islamic\Muslim sources a few posts back

So do tell WHO can we use that you would say are truly knowledgeable enough about Islamic history and tradition to be 'objective'.

Which film is that from may I ask?
Reply 59
Original post by BrianGriffin
Which film is that from may I ask?

It's Michael Jackson's Thriller! It's a music video lol :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending