The Student Room Group

physics/m1 sort of question help

Hey, I am stuck on this question and wondered if one of you lovelies could help me!

1. A scientist wants to find out howfast he can throw a ball. He throws the ball horizontally from a height of2 m and it lands 20 m away from where he is standing. Calculate theoriginal velocity of the ball./

I got to an answer of 6.264, but I am entirely sure that's wrong!

Many thanks
Original post by iMacJack
Hey, I am stuck on this question and wondered if one of you lovelies could help me!

1. A scientist wants to find out howfast he can throw a ball. He throws the ball horizontally from a height of2 m and it lands 20 m away from where he is standing. Calculate theoriginal velocity of the ball./

Many thanks

Use suvat on the vertical component, so s=2, u=0, g=9.8, and find out a value for t. The horizontal velocity component is constant, so you can use the value of t and the distance of 20m to find the horizontal velocity through v = 20/t
Reply 2
Original post by iMacJack

Many thanks

Horizontal 20=uxt20 = u_x t

Vertical: s=2,u=0,a=g,t=ts=-2, u = 0, a = -g, t = t

So s=12gt2s = -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 use this to find uxu_x

Quick Reply

Latest