The Student Room Group

Help, Trying to self teach physics and Not sure what to do with this?

A high pressure pumpoperates at a constant pressure of 12.5N/mm². It runs at a constant speed of 18strokes per minute. The piston diameter is 240mm and the length of the strokeis 400mm, determine: a) Thework done per strokeb) Thepower of the pump motor if there are no losses

DO you need to calculate area of piston to get force? then I donl't know,

Thanks �?Br�)��
Then you've got the stroke length and work done = fs
Original post by IcarusFactor
A high pressure pumpoperates at a constant pressure of 12.5N/mm². It runs at a constant speed of 18strokes per minute. The piston diameter is 240mm and the length of the strokeis 400mm, determine: a) Thework done per strokeb) Thepower of the pump motor if there are no losses

DO you need to calculate area of piston to get force? then I donl't know,

Thanks �?Br�)��

Hey there,

As you have not been given a force but rather the pressure, you do in fact need to calculate the cross-sectional area. The force can then be found as the product of the two values. The work done in one stroke is then just the product of the force and stroke length. What I would then do for part (b) is find the duration of one stroke and then divide the answer to part (a) by this period of time in order to get the power. I hope that this has been helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest