The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Why Does this QMUL not Care about the students (medicine)

Hey all,
I have a relative (we shall call Mr X) in QMUL Medicine, worked to the bone coming from a very poor background to pass the UCAT and interviews. Struggling financially to pay for the tuition fees, went to the finance department and some old hag told Mr X to quit and give up on their dream due to being poor.
In the end, we managed to sort out funding, we be struggling but I am happy to see Mr X pursue something they wanted for so long.
However, the longer they go through the studying, the worse it seems to get. I don't know if it is just because they are in Year 1, but never in my life have I heard of this rubbish:

Student from higher years have to TEACH the lower years modules for exams, this is on the timetable, upper year students must teach the lower years for their exam, this results in missing information, disadvantaging younger years. Also, if you are paying a ton per year, why are you being taught by an underqualified, power tripping student? Some of them are literal walking garbage in how they treat the students, yet they're supposed to be doctors? It's atrocious.

Some lecture content is extremely vague, or even incorrect but the exams require a depth of knowledge not given in lecture content (think going to a physics class and being told the sky is blue, moving on. Then in your exam they ask you about what effects refraction and wavelength in the atmosphere to make the sky blue). To make up for this, students are encouraged to pay an extra premium for extra classes and societies built on providing key information for exams. In my mind, this is predatory and does not help equality between hard working underprivileged people and the giga rich who splunk 5K in one week on drinks.

The exams are usually 40% taught content and 60% UNTAUGHT CONTENT. Why? The uni does not give any info on what topics to study, just throws a mountain at the students and says "Learn it all" and when students say theres too much to learn in too little time they're told "you should be able to learn the information the moment its given to you". In my mind the exams are genuinely unfair, if everyone is drowning under your tuition, you need to change your teaching, not leave the kids to drown. Also, how are you supposed to study for UNTAUGHT content, the info is not given to you, nor is it ever hinted at, you just have more than half your exam as alien questions you physically cannot prepair for, yet you can still get kicked off the course for doing badly in the untaught?

On top of this, the Y1 are doing placements? I have issues with PA (another topic), but a Y1 should not be doing placements, it should begin at Y3, but I'm not too concerned about this point.

My final problem is the student self segregation. All these privileged twits have decided that if you have a degree prior to starting, no matter if it is in art or science, you have an unfair advantage and will therefore refuse to help you. However, they expect you to help them. The hypocrisy is unbelievable and if any of you are reading this, if you have a problem with someone, grow a pair and talk to them directly, don't just jump up straight to the top management and try to get them fired over letting you go home early.

Overall, I think that the course is a real mess, to put it lightly. There have already been 2 suicides and I completely understand, both time the uni swept it under the rug and continued teaching in these horrendous conditions, never addressing the issues. I really hope Y2 and above will be better for Mr X. However, I don't understand how the medicine degree can be such a trash bin when the engineering degrees are received really well, where did they go wrong? I'm assuming issues with privatisation + Brexit + Tories choking the life out of the country, but I'm not sure.

I hope the experience of others in QMUL Medicine and UNI in general is better, but if you are struggling, remember you are not alone and there is always someone you can talk to.

Wishing you all the best
Original post by Anonymous
Hey all,
I have a relative (we shall call Mr X) in QMUL Medicine, worked to the bone coming from a very poor background to pass the UCAT and interviews. Struggling financially to pay for the tuition fees, went to the finance department and some old hag told Mr X to quit and give up on their dream due to being poor.
In the end, we managed to sort out funding, we be struggling but I am happy to see Mr X pursue something they wanted for so long.
However, the longer they go through the studying, the worse it seems to get. I don't know if it is just because they are in Year 1, but never in my life have I heard of this rubbish:

Your relative shouldn't have gotten that reply from Barts. If they did so, I would make a formal complaint.

Seems like your relative has gotten the short end of the stick with Barts, but maybe they were misinformed on what to expect from university. University is largely independent learning and self-teaching, anywhere you go in the UK. The contents of the exams will be advertised somewhere though - as a university student, it baffles me how often my fellow course mates will complain about missing information that is freely and easily available on the resources provided to us. It is also increasingly common for year 1s to do Medicine placements, as I (and the unis) think , they should.

I've never heard of this self-segregation at Barts & the London. Admittedly, I'm not a graduate student in Medicine at Barts but I've talked to a few and they all seem exceedingly happy to be there. I'm also confused because every single medical student I've met at Barts has been actively helping me in my ambitions to study Medicine after I finish my first degree. I wouldn't expect them to do that if they wanted to segregate me later down the line.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending