The Student Room Group

Self teaching A levels

I have had enough of my school now. I am now 3 months into year 12 and i hate my school ; the environment , the teachers , the students and what makes it even worse is that i live an hour from the school and i am doing subjects i don't enjoy which is taking a toll on my mental and physical stability and i feel as if i am going just for the sake of it. I should have listened to my peers and chose a better school and now i am suffering. I have tried emailing other sixth forms / colleges for a spot but they say is too late So i have decided that i am going to be resilient and take things into my own accord and self teach myself 3 A levels at home in my own comfort . I have watched videos of people doing this and it seems manageable. I will have enough time to do the things i please that can improve my mental and physical wellbeing whilst studying for my A levels externally. There have been criticisms of buying online A level courses and that they are a waste of money and a ‘glorified’ textbook which is a reasonable statement . I have started to realise that you are your own teacher , teachers / schools are kind of useless you can literally learn 3 A levels on your own if you put your soul to it by just buying revision guides and using online resources , at the end of the day you are only in school to get a qualification why do you think they offer resists for them ? But the catch is the funding for All 3 of these A levels i know i am not going to buy these online courses because they are way too expensive plus i haven't told my parents so they surely cant help, if i told them i was home schooling they wont be very happy, i am working too so it should be fine to fund these A levels however one A level at as a private candidate is £ 270 and i don't have enough for the other two hopefully i can negotiate with the private centre or wouldn't it be cheaper to do it from a local college ?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum
which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Could you add the link please i think you may have forgotten thanks !
Which A-Level subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
Which A-Level subjects?

law, philosophy and sociology
Reply 5
Original post by DO16_DNE
Could you add the link please i think you may have forgotten thanks !

Links get auto removed :frown:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

[url=[https://[www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f]subject forum[/URL
Obviously ignore the square brackets
I think that gets around the filter. To look at the link you just have to edit a reply to it
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by DO16_DNE
I have had enough of my school now. I am now 3 months into year 12 and i hate my school ; the environment , the teachers , the students and what makes it even worse is that i live an hour from the school and i am doing subjects i don't enjoy which is taking a toll on my mental and physical stability and i feel as if i am going just for the sake of it. I should have listened to my peers and chose a better school and now i am suffering. I have tried emailing other sixth forms / colleges for a spot but they say is too late So i have decided that i am going to be resilient and take things into my own accord and self teach myself 3 A levels at home in my own comfort . I have watched videos of people doing this and it seems manageable. I will have enough time to do the things i please that can improve my mental and physical wellbeing whilst studying for my A levels externally. There have been criticisms of buying online A level courses and that they are a waste of money and a ‘glorified’ textbook which is a reasonable statement . I have started to realise that you are your own teacher , teachers / schools are kind of useless you can literally learn 3 A levels on your own if you put your soul to it by just buying revision guides and using online resources , at the end of the day you are only in school to get a qualification why do you think they offer resists for them ? But the catch is the funding for All 3 of these A levels i know i am not going to buy these online courses because they are way too expensive plus i haven't told my parents so they surely cant help, if i told them i was home schooling they wont be very happy, i am working too so it should be fine to fund these A levels however one A level at as a private candidate is £ 270 and i don't have enough for the other two hopefully i can negotiate with the private centre or wouldn't it be cheaper to do it from a local college ?

That’s great I completely understand u, I am teaching myself 3 a levels as I was abroad during the start of the academic year, I did enroll into an a level course thing but to be honest the tutors aren’t that useful the only reason I done an a level course is to get predicted grades and a reference .
I teach myself mostly I do a level bio psych and lit . I have enough time to do what I like and I work at my own pace .

I know the thing about exam centres and examinations are so expensive I don’t know how I’ll manage . I will probably have to save up or I will try find a way to sit them in a college maybe they might be cheaper ? I don’t know but yes I’m in year 12 too

Quick Reply

Latest