The Student Room Group

I think this is discrimination, how do I deal with it?

I recently left my college course because I didn't feel the course accommodated long term health issues. I got a job and started work.

one of the tutors on the course was unprofessional about me whilst I was on the course, told people I was bulimic, slagged me off to other pupils and kept saying I needed to man up and sort myself out. eventually after meetings of this and various emails calling me "chaotic, unmotivated, a mess" I left the course.

when I left, I just said I felt too sick to be there, rather than I was sick of being discriminated for. I didn't want the hassle.
some of my class mates stayed in touch after I left, and have said the tutor has made comments about me to them personally over the course of several weeks of me leaving. he has said I am, uncommitted, will get nowhere in my life, making up excuses and wasn't even that sick. (I suffer from a long term health problem and am currently under hospital observation, they were aware of it) he also called an autistic guy unorganised and embarrassing.

the worst thing is, this tutor comes into my place of employment once a week for work experience. where I feel even more uncomfortable. he's still quite rude to me and I don't exactly like having him around.

should I ignore everything that has gone on and wait for him to calm down and move onto someone else - or should I stand up for myself?

please help, this is making me really down.
I would be tempted to make a complaint. That's really out of order.
Original post by OU Student
I would be tempted to make a complaint. That's really out of order.

to my former college?
Reply 3
this is bang out of order, make a complaint to your former college and try your luck with this
https://www.gov.uk/report-teacher-misconduct
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I recently left my college course because I didn't feel the course accommodated long term health issues. I got a job and started work.

one of the tutors on the course was unprofessional about me whilst I was on the course, told people I was bulimic, slagged me off to other pupils and kept saying I needed to man up and sort myself out. eventually after meetings of this and various emails calling me "chaotic, unmotivated, a mess" I left the course.

when I left, I just said I felt too sick to be there, rather than I was sick of being discriminated for. I didn't want the hassle.
some of my class mates stayed in touch after I left, and have said the tutor has made comments about me to them personally over the course of several weeks of me leaving. he has said I am, uncommitted, will get nowhere in my life, making up excuses and wasn't even that sick. (I suffer from a long term health problem and am currently under hospital observation, they were aware of it) he also called an autistic guy unorganised and embarrassing.

the worst thing is, this tutor comes into my place of employment once a week for work experience. where I feel even more uncomfortable. he's still quite rude to me and I don't exactly like having him around.

should I ignore everything that has gone on and wait for him to calm down and move onto someone else - or should I stand up for myself?

please help, this is making me really down.

Get yourself rigged with a camera. Go to your work experience and film him in the act. When you have enough evidence take it to the College President & your local Newspaper.

Get him sacked for real disability hatred.
Reply 5
Complain and gather as much concrete evidence as you can. Reports of what other people say that he's saying, is hearsay. You can't use that as evidence. You need the students who heard it to be willing to give formal statements if necessary. Emails directly from him are good as the college should be able to trace them back to him on their email system, even if he's deleted his copies.

When he comes into your current workplace, make sure you have another member of staff with you as a witness. Just explain to your manager that he's been harassing you and you don't feel comfortable being alone with him.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending