The Student Room Group

About to start Civil Service, but just found out im Pregnant

Hi,

I applied for an EO role and a couple of weeks ago got all my security clearance through and a start date for 15th January 2024. I applied back in May this year and it has been a long process. I have recently found out that I am pregnant, only 5 weeks but would likely be 14 weeks pregnant by the time I start. Has anyone got any experience in starting the Civil Service pregnant, or if I'm best to stay where I am. I know the timing isn't great but we have tried for 4 years for a baby and everything has come at once. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks x
Original post by Ashleigh2231
Hi,

I applied for an EO role and a couple of weeks ago got all my security clearance through and a start date for 15th January 2024. I applied back in May this year and it has been a long process. I have recently found out that I am pregnant, only 5 weeks but would likely be 14 weeks pregnant by the time I start. Has anyone got any experience in starting the Civil Service pregnant, or if I'm best to stay where I am. I know the timing isn't great but we have tried for 4 years for a baby and everything has come at once. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks x

Have you been offered and signed a contract? or are you still going through the vetting stages? Will there be a training stage of 6 months pluss? I don't think that you would have to notify them yet,my guess would be around the 12 point. But it is best to look up the leagal documentation - which I am sure will be available online.

IMO- (not cs) it is best to stay where you are, get more information and know your leagal rights (is there a union you could speak to?) then inform them closser to the start date when you are almost out of the first trimester.

I hope other more experinced people comment, good luck and congratulations!
Reply 2
First of all, Mazel Tov.

Best place you can be. Pretty much anyone in the Civil Service in your position would be milking this for all it’s worth. You’ll get insane maternity leave on full pay and then even more on reduced pay - and after all that you’ll be considered to have been at work all along and could probably just apply for an HEO role having barely done your EO one.

In the Civil Service, you are actively hurting yourself if you don’t ride the gravy train.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi,

Thanks x

Go to the Civil Service. They'll fully back you and are notable to punish you for being pregnant.
I could be wrong but I think you need to have one years continuous service in the civil service to be entitled to 6 months full pay.
Reply 5
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Go to the Civil Service. They'll fully back you and are notable to punish you for being pregnant.

Notable to punish you for being pregnant?
Notable to punish you for being pregnant?

"Not able." Keyboard issues.
Reply 7
Original post by ThatOldGuy
"Not able." Keyboard issues.

Ahh great, I was worried for a second there! I know I'll only be entitles to SMP, I was just more worried about them not being happy when I started. Thanks for your reply.
Ahh great, I was worried for a second there! I know I'll only be entitles to SMP, I was just more worried about them not being happy when I started. Thanks for your reply.

They'll be fine. You will, too. Civil Service is generally great with that.
Reply 9
Hi,

Thanks x

Congratulations! There are some useful bits of information here https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/applying-for-job-when-pregnant
(not CS specific) . Basically they can't discriminate against you for being pregnant. Civil Service maternity deals are very good, but it would be worth contacting their HR to find out what you exact position would be so that you have all the facts before making the decision to hand in your notice at your current place. A lot of women are defensive when discussing maternity issues (I know I was) because we fear it is going to causes problems/disruptions at work, but the reality is an organisation as big as the CS have have seen it all before and have the resources to support their employees.

Wishing you all the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending