The Student Room Group

Sixth form : Core maths anyone taking it ?

core maths my sixth form are doing a 2 year process of the new subject "core maths" which i heard is 3 exams at the end of 2 years being c1 c2 and s1 can anyone give me abit more detail on this and what it means ? can this be considered as AS maths qualification thanks
I may not be much help but I take AS maths and have been in a core maths lesson myself (i had a free with nothing to do)
its basically a qualification there for any student who wishes to continue studying maths beyond GCSE, but don't want to commit to the full A level, in my opinion its a pretty good option to take, I think I read somewhere it's equivalent to half an A level but don't quote me on it
if you take quite scientific subjects and don't take A level maths, core maths can be there to help support you in the mathematically inevitable side of science we will all have to deal with
bear in mind, like A level maths you need to actually pass GCSE maths to take the course
Reply 2
Currently, I'm in Y12 and I chose to I take core maths along with 4 AS levels (bio, chem, physics and psychology), as I had heard a lot of positive things about it and my sixth form strongly recommended it. I dropped it... or tried to... the teacher is looking for me but I keep escaping as I'm sure he wants to persuade me not to drop it. The main reason I dropped it was because the way it was taught was very slow. I could have completed the work covered in 1 hour in 5 minutes, and being honest, the work was really boring. It was common sense and not hard at all. I would take the exam if my sixth form gave me the resources and specification and allowed me to study at home and not attend the lessons, but I don't think they will allow that.
Anyways, enough about me, now about core maths... It is a 2 year course with exams at the end of the second year. The UCAS points are equivalent to an AS. My sixth form told me that Universities will love core maths and that it's a very good qualification to have and will help with other subjects such as biology and psychology, which is why I picked the subject. I dropped it as I felt the classes were too slow and also I wanted to concentrate fully on my A levels in the second year. If I change my mind and pick up core maths again because the teacher persuades me to, I'll let you know,
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Also, don't let my opinion put you off of you want to do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Ash Kay
Currently, I'm in Y12 and I chose to I take core maths along with 4 AS levels (bio, chem, physics and psychology), as I had heard a lot of positive things about it and my sixth form strongly recommended it. I dropped it... or tried to... the teacher is looking for me but I keep escaping as I'm sure he wants to persuade me not to drop it. The main reason I dropped it was because the way it was taught was very slow. I could have completed the work covered in 1 hour in 5 minutes, and being honest, the work was really boring. It was common sense and not hard at all. I would take the exam if my sixth form gave me the resources and specification and allowed me to study at home and not attend the lessons, but I don't think they will allow that.
Anyways, enough about me, now about core maths... It is a 2 year course with exams at the end of the second year. The UCAS points are equivalent to an AS. My sixth form told me that Universities will love core maths and that it's a very good qualification to have and will help with other subjects such as biology and psychology, which is why I picked the subject. I dropped it as I felt the classes were too slow and also I wanted to concentrate fully on my A levels in the second year. If I change my mind and pick up core maths again because the teacher persuades me to, I'll let you know,
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Also, don't let my opinion put you off of you want to do it.

So is core maths basically AS maths , at the the end of the two years you'll have to take the c1 c2 and s1 exam hence As maths is it that ?

Quick Reply

Latest