The Student Room Group

Grades and A levels

I really want to study biology and chemistry and psychology at A level but my first set of science papers went terribly for exam for chemistry I didn’t know most of the content and definitely messed up and now I’m just hoping for a 6 and then hopefully I can get higher and I’m doing foundation maths so I also need a 5. I’m extremely worried now because my sixth form may not allow me to take those subjects. I need a 6 in maths but I don’t have that and it’s too late to change now. Does anyone know if sixth forms will allow people to take these subjects with these grades or like know anyone in a similar situation?
Reply 1
Original post by suzy23
I really want to study biology and chemistry and psychology at A level but my first set of science papers went terribly for exam for chemistry I didn’t know most of the content and definitely messed up and now I’m just hoping for a 6 and then hopefully I can get higher and I’m doing foundation maths so I also need a 5. I’m extremely worried now because my sixth form may not allow me to take those subjects. I need a 6 in maths but I don’t have that and it’s too late to change now. Does anyone know if sixth forms will allow people to take these subjects with these grades or like know anyone in a similar situation?

Maybe you can do BTEC science? Even though you wouldn’t be doing phycology, you’d still be doing bio and chem. BTEC is still just as good.
Maybe you being an internal student your sixth form might let you in, but that’s not a guarantee since those subjects are popular, and expect a lot from student grades.
My friend does all those subjects, and he got a 7 for maths and a 7-8 for science GCSE.
Maybe speak to your science teachers and ask if you may be able to do it with a 6?? What’s the entry requirements for those subjects?
If they say no then you should take a science BTEC.
Original post by Syed998
Maybe you can do BTEC science? Even though you wouldn’t be doing phycology, you’d still be doing bio and chem. BTEC is still just as good.
Maybe you being an internal student your sixth form might let you in, but that’s not a guarantee since those subjects are popular, and expect a lot from student grades.
My friend does all those subjects, and he got a 7 for maths and a 7-8 for science GCSE.
Maybe speak to your science teachers and ask if you may be able to do it with a 6?? What’s the entry requirements for those subjects?
If they say no then you should take a science BTEC.

To do A level biology chemistry you need a 6-6 in science and a 6 in maths and for psychology you need a 5-5 in science and a 5 in maths.
Original post by suzy23

Only your school or college can answer this. You might have problems at university with a 5 in Maths. Most good ones require at least a 6 in Psychology and Bath requires a 7. These are not negotiable.
Reply 4
Original post by suzy23
To do A level biology chemistry you need a 6-6 in science and a 6 in maths and for psychology you need a 5-5 in science and a 5 in maths.

so ur not even far off. It’s more maths that’s an issue? How many of ur science papers do u have? If u do good in the rest that could pull ur grade up, best thing about double science.
Id say u just focus purely on getting English maths and science now if maths and science are rlly what u need. Then English u would need incase if u wanted to get a job . Since most would ask for a 4/5 in English and maths (possibly science if u went into teaching).
Original post by Syed998
so ur not even far off. It’s more maths that’s an issue? How many of ur science papers do u have? If u do good in the rest that could pull ur grade up, best thing about double science.
Id say u just focus purely on getting English maths and science now if maths and science are rlly what u need. Then English u would need incase if u wanted to get a job . Since most would ask for a 4/5 in English and maths (possibly science if u went into teaching).

I have about 3 more papers for double science I have done all of paper and I only have paper 2 left. For maths I also have 2 papers left which is good as I can bring my grade up
Original post by swanseajack1
Only your school or college can answer this. You might have problems at university with a 5 in Maths. Most good ones require at least a 6 in Psychology and Bath requires a 7. These are not negotiable.

I don’t take psychology as a GCSE I want to study it at A level.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by suzy23
I don’t take psychology as a GCSE I want to study it at A level.

I havent made myself clear sorry Maths is needed for Psyschology in university. Most require grade 6 GCSE Maths and a few including Bath require grade 7 in GCSE Maths.
Part of the issue is that for science courses at university most will have some GCSE Maths requirement. It will vary but it is something you need to be aware of.

Here is an example for Chemistry at Bath

GCSE requirements:
GCSE Mathematics grade 6 or B
GCSE English Language or Literature grade 4 or C (or equivalent from English language category C)
You do not need the required grade in Mathematics if you study a higher level qualification in Mathematics (such as an A level, AS level or a Core Mathematics qualification).
(edited 10 months ago)
Part of the issue is that for science courses at university most will have some GCSE Maths requirement. It will vary but it is something you need to be aware of.

Here is an example for Chemistry at Bath

GCSE requirements:
GCSE Mathematics grade 6 or B
GCSE English Language or Literature grade 4 or C (or equivalent from English language category C)
You do not need the required grade in Mathematics if you study a higher level qualification in Mathematics (such as an A level, AS level or a Core Mathematics qualification).

That why after getting my GCSE results I’m considering resitting maths to obtain a grade 6 or 7
I havent made myself clear sorry Maths is needed for Psyschology in university. Most require grade 6 GCSE Maths and a few including Bath require grade 7 in GCSE Maths.

I don’t want to do psychology at uni I would like to do dentistry but still this is the same requirement so Im considering resitting to obtain a grade 6 or 7

Quick Reply

Latest