The Student Room Group

How will you Vote in EU referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Remain. Leaving would grant sole power to London, at least having Frankfurt, Brussels and Paris acts as a buffer to this.

Like the election, I'm pretty sure it will be super hyped up and polling will be 50:50, but in reality, the remain vote will be the majority.
Original post by saxsan4
and do you think we will stay or leave?

Many undergrads are straight out of school and like the teacher's idea of a global government run by an enlightened staff room that cares for all the little kiddies who are all told to love one another.

The truth is that all the great achievements of humanity are the result of diversity. Greek philosophy in a world of instinctive beliefs, Christian ethics in a Roman world, Protestantism in a world of Catholics, Enlightenment in a religious world etc. etc. The diversity of artistic and architectural forms across the globe is breathtaking.

Our freedom to progress is the result of diverse nation states that have time and again resisted the dead weight of imperialism, of empires that sought to rule the world with one law, one economy and one culture.

We can be diverse and also get along together. This should be the objective of politics, not the voluntary merger of all humanity into a drab and uniform EU or global government out of fear of difference.

By the time you are a postgrad you will know enough of the world to throw off the advice of the public sector workers who trained you. Most people are well out of school and will vote to leave.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by newpersonage
Many undergrads are straight out of school and like the teacher's idea of a global government run by an enlightened staff room that cares for all the little kiddies who are all told to love one another.

The truth is that all the great achievements of humanity are the result of diversity. Greek philosophy in a world of instinctive beliefs, Christian ethics in a Roman world, Protestantism in a world of Catholics, Enlightenment in a religious world etc. etc. The diversity of artistic and architectural forms across the globe is breathtaking.

Our freedom to progress is the result of diverse nation states that have time and again resisted the dead weight of imperialism, of empires that sought to rule the world with one law, one economy and one culture.

We can be diverse and also get along together. This should be the objective of politics, not the voluntary merger of all humanity into a drab and uniform EU or global government out of fear of difference.

By the time you are a postgrad you will know enough of the world to throw off the advice of the public sector workers who trained you. Most people are well out of school and will vote to leave.

Except for the fact, that those with a degree are more likely to want to remain in the EU.

However, please continue with your inane ramblings.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/22/eu-referendum-state-public-opinion/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
Except we were not asked if we wanted to become multicultural and you're about 3 years too late as we now accept it's a failed experiment.

You really do need to look at the history of muslim conquests to see some actually do have these intentions

We are asked because that's the whole point of a democracy. Multiculturalism isn't an experiment its part of a good modern society.

I doubt that history from hundreds of years ago is relevant now. If you know about Britain's history you'd see our conquests are so much worse.
Original post by finndnhaynes
We are asked because that's the whole point of a democracy. Multiculturalism isn't an experiment its part of a good modern society.

I doubt that history from hundreds of years ago is relevant now. If you know about Britain's history you'd see our conquests are so much worse.

Then show me from the last 30 years a political party telling us that multiculturalism was ambition of that party

You forget some of us are mature students and were around when this failed experiment was started and one complaint I do know is it was NOT voted for by the people of this country

But as I say you can always prove me wrong
Original post by _ayyyylmao
There are 2/3 million jobs abroad, most of which will be lost if we leave; it's not a risk worth taking

You know the 3 million jobs at risk..... Do you know how they came to that figure?
It is the number of employees of any company that sold anything to an eu country and all their suppliers.

The figure is laughable.

As a second point leaving the EU creates different opportunities for new jobs also, just like Ireland feeds off the uk the uk can feed off Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by serebro
Remain. Leaving would grant sole power to London, at least having Frankfurt, Brussels and Paris acts as a buffer to this.

Like the election, I'm pretty sure it will be super hyped up and polling will be 50:50, but in reality, the remain vote will be the majority.

LOL!!

A buffer for the British parliaments power over the British.

Oh dear oh dear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then show me from the last 30 years a political party telling us that multiculturalism was ambition of that party

You forget some of us are mature students and were around when this failed experiment was started and one complaint I do know is it was NOT voted for by the people of this country

But as I say you can always prove me wrong

Multiculturalism isn't an ambition of a single party, its how society has naturally evolved for the better.

You keep calling it an experiment but that's not what it is. Can you give me an example when any political leader called multiculturalism an "experiment"? Just because you're a mature student doesn't mean that you can't be a racist idiot.

You say this yet you haven't proved me wrong.
Original post by finndnhaynes
its how society has naturally evolved for the better.

It's a failed experiment that the majority of people have concerns about

'State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron'http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garth-sundem/is-multiculturalism-a-failed-experiment_b_1566379.html

Yes but we'll done I asked you rather reasonably for some evidence that the people of this country actively chose this and for you to offer me any evidence to help change my opinion

But you went for the 'bigoted racist' option instead
(edited 8 years ago)
It's a failed experiment that the majority of people have concerns about

'State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron'http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garth-sundem/is-multiculturalism-a-failed-experiment_b_1566379.html

Yes but we'll done I asked you rather reasonably for some evidence that the people of this country actively chose this and for you to offer me any evidence to help change my opinion

But you went for the 'bigoted racist' option instead

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/22/multiculturalism-won-uk-move-on
Here's something that says people want multiculturalism you happy? I guess that 70% of the country agreeing with multiculturalism shows we choose this.

I called you a racist because you believe they're trying to take over the country which is just ridiculous.
Original post by paul514
LOL!!

A buffer for the British parliaments power over the British.

Oh dear oh dear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, so the SNP and Plaid Cymru represent a clear demonstration that the UK knows how to balance out power? Likewise, does the demand for 'English votes for English laws' show that the UK can even handle having extra power?

Leaving the EU is just going to either centralise the whole of the UK in London, or end the act of Union altogether.
I support Britain to leave the eu, but for left wing and liberal reasons. I support the freedom of movement etc but see the eu as too undemocratic and powerful. I belive that power should be held at the lowest possible level not the highest and that the EU due to its nature can never truly represent the common people.
Original post by serebro
Right, so the SNP and Plaid Cymru represent a clear demonstration that the UK knows how to balance out power? Likewise, does the demand for 'English votes for English laws' show that the UK can even handle having extra power?

Leaving the EU is just going to either centralise the whole of the UK in London, or end the act of Union altogether.

Parliament is elected by us, it's OUR choice who to vote for. It's called democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
Why the **** is everyone going on about Muslims again?

Most Muslim immigration has nothing to do with the EU.

Oh wait....it can't be Islamophobia because that doesn't exist.

why doesn't it, 90% of Immigration into the EU is Islamic... and lots of the member countries are set to be muslim countries by 2030.
Leave inside EU UK government is not sovereign that alone is enough to vote to leave regardless of other issues.
Original post by paul514
Parliament is elected by us, it's OUR choice who to vote for. It's called democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The European Parliament is elected by us, it's OUR choice who to vote for. It's called democracy.
At the moment, I'm likely to vote to leave but I'm looking forward to seeing what reforms Cameron can get through. I want a more democratic EU and a more representative EU
Original post by balanced
why doesn't it, 90% of Immigration into the EU is Islamic... and lots of the member countries are set to be muslim countries by 2030.

You are just talking *******s.

Maybe 90% of ILLEGAL immigration is Islamic.

Leaving the EU won't solve that issue. They are still going to get in a lorry and come across the border. They are not taking planes here.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is the parliament in the EU.

Actually, the EU Is more democratic on many measures.

Maybe, now the UK ( Aka England) knows what it feels like to be Welshman or a Scot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by balanced

Exactly which European countries are meant to be muslim countries?

To be fair, 5 out of the top 10 most populous nations in the British Commonwealth (excluding the UK) have Islam as their official religion.

1. India (but has 180 million Muslims i.e 3x UK population)
2. Pakistan
3. Nigeria
4. Bangladesh
5. South Africa
6. Tanzania
7. Kenya
8. Canada
9. Uganda
10. Malaysia

The UK welcomed Muslims from the Commonwealth long before the EU gained any power, especially during post-WW2 rebuilding efforts. So it's hardly fair to judge the EU but make the UK look innocent in this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending