The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Look for the 'Energizer' brand one - MAKE SURE it has a red filter !
I used to work in Tiso, and they sell them there, but they're not the cheapest. Generally most Outdoors shops will stock them. Go for one with a Bulb and LED combo. like the Petzl Myo's, very handy. LED's are very effective indoors but use minimul battery power, whereas the bulb is useful for seeing further distances, mainly outdoors.

I feel the geek inside me coming out. No i don't want my old job back...:rolleyes:

Does anyone know about filter lenses though? Where do you get them? Do they fit all Head Torches? Or do you perhaps buy the coloured film and simply cut to shape?
A decent one should have the filter as standard - go for the Energizer one, as i said, it's totally adequate for what you need at Halton - it's only for cleaning your rifle and personal admin at night, nothing technical.
Sorted, thanks for the input.

Got one with a red filter fitted for £14.99 from Millets, should do the job.

Last night on the guiness in Belfast tonight, its gonna be a little messy! :s-smilie:
I was given a print out kit list from the AFCO and theres a different one in the RAF Halton booklet they give you. Go by the booklet! You will need 20 coat hangers not 5 as the print out said, and if you want to buy them here its £3 for 2 hangers.

Also, it says bring a first aid kit, make sure you do, and bring decent plasters for blisters! ouch!

Best of luck!
I read about the need for extra hangers in a previous post, are plastic hangers accepted or must they be wooden?
Reply 26
Dunelm (sp?) mill - pack of 20+ for around a tenner!
Rizza Razzu
A decent one should have the filter as standard - go for the Energizer one, as i said, it's totally adequate for what you need at Halton - it's only for cleaning your rifle and personal admin at night, nothing technical.

Sorry Rizza, somehow i managed to miss your previous post.

I saw two Energizer headtorches in homebase the other day, one for £12.99 which had 2 clear LEDs and one red LED, and one for £14.99 (possibly the one NI got) which had 4 clear LEDs and 2 red LEDs and some spare batteries. Should you be looking for something more powerful however, there was the 5,000,000 candle power hand held spotlight for around £22- Dont think it came with a head band as standard though...i can see it now:wink: :rolleyes:

So would these head torches (with the red LED, as opposed to one with a red lense over a bulb) be the type you're refering to Rizza?
Yes mate - the LED one's are perfect. Obviously the brighter the better, but you're not using them for tracking bunnies in fields at midnight, so don't worry too much if you get one that's beam only reaches to the other side of a tent.

Don't get the wooden one's that you douse in petrol and light with matches. The light from them is brilliant, but the smell of molten hair and flesh is quite off-putting.
For any potential recruits that are struggling with what torch, etc to buy and don't want to be ripped off buying cheap/inappropriate rubbish at over inflated prices then hold off until you attend RTS. The GDT section sell, on a no profit basis I believe, your irons (KFS) a thermal mug and head torch for £30. At least this way you will know that it is fit for purpose and endorsed by the Regiment who, I'm sure have put it through its paces in theatre. Just a thought and remember I'm 'Here to help'
Very good point, HTH, i was completely unaware of that.

I wonder if it's advertised on the kit list ? If not, there's a 'Gems' for you :wink:
:wink: Nice one. Thanks Here To Help.
Reply 32
Old thread, new case.

Just been trying to collect all that rubbish I need to take to RAF Halton. I've already bought a head torch that DOSN'T have a red filter, and as far as I'm concerned it's tough unless someone gives me a very good reason to buy another.

Also, do your swimming trunks have to be trunks, shorts or does it not make the slightest bit of difference? Different kit lists say different things.

It also says washing powder on the kit list, but I'm sure I can buy the stuff at Halton if I like, (plus I never wash my clothes anyway, s'specialy my pants)

It also says I need to take a pair of shorts (preferably dark) and two t-shirts (preferably dark) for PT. How fussy are they with their "preferably dark" phrase? Do you get issued with PT kit anyway? so is there a need for me to go and buy another dark T-shirt.
wly

It also says washing powder on the kit list, but I'm sure I can buy the stuff at Halton if I like, (plus I never wash my clothes anyway, s'specialy my pants)

You will wash your stuff - especially your uniform and sports kit. Filthy mingers are a health hazard and you'd deserve the abuse you'd get it you were the course minger. I'm sure the DS have now read this and you'll be very closely examined. You're in shared accommodation so you do the right thing.
Reply 34
wly

Just been trying to collect all that rubbish I need to take to RAF Halton. I've already bought a head torch that DOSN'T have a red filter, and as far as I'm concerned it's tough unless someone gives me a very good reason to buy another.

Haven't they told you to bring one with a red filter? If I was packing my bags for Halton, I'd take the fact that it was a clear instruction as sufficient reason.

I'm not sure you're going to enjoy this if you start demanding reasons for everything before you do them!
Reply 35
I'm currently getting together my equipment for Halton, starting in a couple of weeks.

Regarding the Head Torch, the list says 'Basic LED Headtorch'.

No mention of any red filter.
Reply 36
Well, in that case, I wouldn't worry about it!
Reply 37
ProStacker
You will wash your stuff - especially your uniform and sports kit. Filthy mingers are a health hazard and you'd deserve the abuse you'd get it you were the course minger. I'm sure the DS have now read this and you'll be very closely examined. You're in shared accommodation so you do the right thing.

ProStacker.

The comment I made that you quoted was one of these things intentionally written to make people laugh, I call them Jokes, this was one of these.

And like Hursty, my kit list does not mention a red filter, I was just curious to see why people were recommending them.
Reply 38
wly
The comment I made that you quoted was one of these things intentionally written to make people laugh, I call them Jokes, this was one of these.

Well, no offence, but you're not quite Jimmy Carr yet. Remember that for everyone who reads the post and goes "aha, what a funny chap," there'll probably be at lest a couple of impressionable teenagers packing their bags to go to Halton who sling out the washing powder on your recommendation. And then go a week without washing and wonder why everyone hates them.

It's hard to get humour to traverse the internet properly, after all.
Reply 39
All right then.

But in all seriousness, I've bought one box (800g) of "Tesco Coulours washing powder" and a spray type of stain remover which I will take to Halton. I chose the colours type as it's fairly universal. I am hoping (and asking) I can top up my supply on-site should I find the stuff I've bought to be rubbish (although we use this at home all the time and it's fine) or I run out (and I don't fancy taking 9 weeks worth of powder with me on the train.

Latest