The Student Room Group

Best way to revise the sciences

I am struggling to revise biology, chemisty and physics. What are the best ways to do it???
Reply 1
I usually draw out diagrams especially with things like the carbon cycle etc with explanations in bold colours so I can remember it. videos also work really well

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE or A level.
I totally vouch for flash cards. What I usually do to revise for exams is I get the specification for the exam and I phrase each point in the form of a question and write it on the front of the flash card and the answer on the back.
(E.g. Know that an acid is a proton donor and a base is a proton acceptor - I would write 'Define the terms 'acid' and 'base' )
Hope this helps :smile: x
(edited 8 years ago)
Learn the content then slave away doing past papers and questions
I go with a topic per flashcard as then you are limiting yourself to the amount of room there is to write and you only note down the most important parts rather than pages of copied text from the text book.
Reply 6
Original post by mumar41
I am struggling to revise biology, chemisty and physics. What are the best ways to do it???

1. make notes cause you really need to know your **** for sciences.
while you're making your notes repeat each sentence about three times out loud or in your head, and read over the page at the end of each page.

2. do all the questions everywhere!! like seriously in your textbook, past papers, end of chapter summaries, random sheets your teacher gave you etc

3. make flashcards or a sheet with chem/physics equations on. specifically do questions around each topic with the equations in front of you, and keep doing questions until you no longer need the sheet.

4. anything that involves a "process" you can do diagrams for, remember to use colour, it helps.
Reply 7
Thank you for your help
Reply 8
usually i write what i need to learn down on a whiteboard repeatedly and test myself on the white board the do a **** load of past papers then learn through them
-Past Papers
-Flash Cards
-Posters
-Q&A with Friends (they have to be as smart as you or better)

-Confidence is key-
Past paperss!
This is what I do:

1. Take notes from the textbook and exercise book. I recommend typing - it's faster.
2. Analyse it and highlight keywords and definitions and important bits.
3. Do some textbook questions and mark them like a harsh examiner, if it doesn't follow the mark scheme it is WRONG. :smile:
4. Past papers. Same again, if it doesn't follow the mark scheme you mark your answer wrong and copy the correct answer from the mark scheme. If I get below a B I do a retest with a different past paper.
5. Read your notes again before the day of the exam.
6. On the day of the exam, DO NOT revise. This is because you're going to try cramming the information in your head which will just make you forget the material and also some material you have revised. It also makes you nervous and it can effect how well you do in the exam, no last-minute revision!

Also please plan the time when you're going to revise, do the Pomodoro technique to get quick bursts of work done. Tell the people in your house you're going to revise so that they don't bother you too much.
Definitely past papers ! there are only a certain number of questions they can ask, and particularly with biology, there is always a pattern.

Go through the past papers and see what questions you can answer. Then make a list of the areas that you are struggling with so you can focus more of your attention there.

Hope this helps !
I would make revison cards and revise from there and also i find Mygcsescience really really helpful. you can watch the videos and make notes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending