The Student Room Group

Revision for Triple science

Hi, I am currently midway through year 10 doing triple science (AQA).
Currently, my average working at grade is a grade 6, and my average predicted is a grade 7.
I want to get all 8's and 9's so I decided to start revising properly every day until the exams in year 11.

For triple science revision, can I get a grade 9 from ONLY using Cognito for at home revision?
Also, could I get a similar grade in maths (edexcel) using only Cognito?
Thanks!
Reply 1
TL;DRs on the last paragraph :wink:
I don't have much experience with Cognito (personally I used Free Science Lessons and Corbettmaths), but it should be doable. Bearing in mind you have more than a year to improve your grades, which is plenty of time!
I believe Cognito, like FSL, have their videos directly tailored to the specifications, though I think the former tries to make their videos suitable for all exam boards, whereas FSL is specifically for AQA. So if you did just use Cognito, it's worth checking the spec to compare, so you don't revise any unnecessary bits.

On the other hand, I do think just videos is very much pushing it to get a 9, even though they'd teach you all the content. It's important to actually try and recall the info beforehand (e.g. with flashcards, blurting) and that can also save time in the long run. In Science and Maths, practice is really important too: knowing how to answer questions, and the different kinds that crop up is vital in achieving a 9, which are hard to achieve anyway.

I may have gone into a bit more depth than required haha, just going off the assumption that you would only be using these videos. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but hopefully this makes sense: in short, it's perfectly doable to learn all the content for these subjects, but to actually cement that and use it well in exams, you need some other revision techniques (especially past papers and exam questions). Hope this helps, best of luck!
Original post by {Moss}
TL;DRs on the last paragraph :wink:
I don't have much experience with Cognito (personally I used Free Science Lessons and Corbettmaths), but it should be doable. Bearing in mind you have more than a year to improve your grades, which is plenty of time!
I believe Cognito, like FSL, have their videos directly tailored to the specifications, though I think the former tries to make their videos suitable for all exam boards, whereas FSL is specifically for AQA. So if you did just use Cognito, it's worth checking the spec to compare, so you don't revise any unnecessary bits.

On the other hand, I do think just videos is very much pushing it to get a 9, even though they'd teach you all the content. It's important to actually try and recall the info beforehand (e.g. with flashcards, blurting) and that can also save time in the long run. In Science and Maths, practice is really important too: knowing how to answer questions, and the different kinds that crop up is vital in achieving a 9, which are hard to achieve anyway.

I may have gone into a bit more depth than required haha, just going off the assumption that you would only be using these videos. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but hopefully this makes sense: in short, it's perfectly doable to learn all the content for these subjects, but to actually cement that and use it well in exams, you need some other revision techniques (especially past papers and exam questions). Hope this helps, best of luck!

Thank you for the amazing answer!
One thing is with any website, not just Cognito, I get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff I have to revise, how should I go about deciding what I do first?
Reply 3
Original post by School_Student99
Thank you for the amazing answer!
One thing is with any website, not just Cognito, I get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff I have to revise, how should I go about deciding what I do first?

No problem! I can completely understand that, personally I would say there's a couple of ways of making it more manageable. TL;DR on the last paragraph again haha, sorry! For more info feel free to read through :smile:

Firstly, you could look through the specs for each science (they're on AQA's website). I found it took me about half an hour to skim read them, but obviously this may vary for you. Then, whenever you find a topic that you think you've forgotten some of it (e.g. you may read about the Generator effect and go 'what does that do?'), note that down, and then just search up that specific video.

Secondly, you could do a past paper. I'd recommend this anyway, but sometimes it's easy to go through a spec and think you've forgotten something, when in fact you haven't, and exam conditions can help you remember (or forget haha, but sometimes you surprise yourself). Then, look at the questions which you didn't get any marks for/as many marks as you'd like, and again note down their topics and watch the corresponding video.

That method does take more time, and also some topics can be missed in papers, so it's not fully accurate, but still worth it for pinpointing exact topics you struggle with.

I like the latter (and a mix) just because it really gives you proof that you can do certain topics, otherwise it's easy to doubt yourself. Again, personal preference though!

To summarise that, you can use past papers/specifications to make a list of any topics you really struggle with/think you do, and then you can search them up to minimize the confusion of trying to focus your revision. It's easy to be daunted by the pages upon pages of the spec, or the hundreds of videos, but you'll find you will probably only need to revise a few, as the rest will already be cemented in your mind. Hopefully this makes sense? Best of luck once more, let me know if you have any other questions!

P.S. another reason I like the latter option is because papers are excellent anyway for revision, and cementing knowledge, so it's a double whammy. Though it takes longer than the former, it's often else boring too :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by {Moss}
No problem! I can completely understand that, personally I would say there's a couple of ways of making it more manageable. TL;DR on the last paragraph again haha, sorry! For more info feel free to read through :smile:

Firstly, you could look through the specs for each science (they're on AQA's website). I found it took me about half an hour to skim read them, but obviously this may vary for you. Then, whenever you find a topic that you think you've forgotten some of it (e.g. you may read about the Generator effect and go 'what does that do?'), note that down, and then just search up that specific video.

Secondly, you could do a past paper. I'd recommend this anyway, but sometimes it's easy to go through a spec and think you've forgotten something, when in fact you haven't, and exam conditions can help you remember (or forget haha, but sometimes you surprise yourself). Then, look at the questions which you didn't get any marks for/as many marks as you'd like, and again note down their topics and watch the corresponding video.

That method does take more time, and also some topics can be missed in papers, so it's not fully accurate, but still worth it for pinpointing exact topics you struggle with.

I like the latter (and a mix) just because it really gives you proof that you can do certain topics, otherwise it's easy to doubt yourself. Again, personal preference though!

To summarise that, you can use past papers/specifications to make a list of any topics you really struggle with/think you do, and then you can search them up to minimize the confusion of trying to focus your revision. It's easy to be daunted by the pages upon pages of the spec, or the hundreds of videos, but you'll find you will probably only need to revise a few, as the rest will already be cemented in your mind. Hopefully this makes sense? Best of luck once more, let me know if you have any other questions!

P.S. another reason I like the latter option is because papers are excellent anyway for revision, and cementing knowledge, so it's a double whammy. Though it takes longer than the former, it's often else boring too :smile:

Cool, thanks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by School_Student99
Hi, I am currently midway through year 10 doing triple science (AQA).
Currently, my average working at grade is a grade 6, and my average predicted is a grade 7.
I want to get all 8's and 9's so I decided to start revising properly every day until the exams in year 11.

For triple science revision, can I get a grade 9 from ONLY using Cognito for at home revision?
Also, could I get a similar grade in maths (edexcel) using only Cognito?
Thanks!

Hi, I am also in year 10 and tips from YouTube videos and friends show me that cognito for science is good. But when finished watching their videos, i recommend watching another video on it from freesciencelessons on YouTube and looking through BBC Bitesize (just so you don’t miss anything out. Also looking at your exam board specification (for example: aqa combined science specification) as they have everything you need to learn there.

For maths, cognito isn’t that great. It only covers the basic topics and way easier questions (especially if you do the quizzes on there). To try more harder questions, I recommend looking through the GCSE maths tutor on YouTube (they are really good) and also for past exam papers and questions, corbettmaths, maths genie and physics and maths tutor are really good and I definitely recommend checking them out.
Good luck on your GCSE’s 😁
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by asielala
Hi, I am also in year 10 and tips from YouTube videos and friends show me that cognito for science is good. But when finished watching their videos, i recommend watching another video on it from freesciencelessons on YouTube and looking through BBC Bitesize (just so you don’t miss anything out. Also looking at your exam board specification (for example: aqa combined science specification) as they have everything you need to learn there.

For maths, cognito isn’t that great. It only covers the basic topics and way easier questions (especially if you do the quizzes on there). To try more harder questions, I recommend looking through the GCSE maths tutor on YouTube (they are really good) and also for past exam papers and questions, corbettmaths, maths genie and physics and maths tutor are really good and I definitely recommend checking them out.
Good luck on your GCSE’s 😁

Cool, thank you for a good, clear answer: I appreciate it!
Is it really necessary to watch more videos on freesciencelessons and BBC Bitesize for Science? I don't like having to use multiple websites to revise, I would love everything to be compact on to one website.

About the topic of trying to get a grade 9 in Maths, in your opinion what is the single best free resource I can use- that can get you a good grade solely from that one resource?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest