The Student Room Group

is seneca enough to get a 9 in gcse science

im a year 10 student and i have my mocks soon.i was just wndering is seneca enough for gcse triple science ? i also have the cgp books so i dont know if i should do the summary questions too and also past paper questions.If you have a revision method that is working for you and your getting 9s please let me know
Reply 1
Original post by pinkshadow3478
im a year 10 student and i have my mocks soon.i was just wndering is seneca enough for gcse triple science ? i also have the cgp books so i dont know if i should do the summary questions too and also past paper questions.If you have a revision method that is working for you and your getting 9s please let me know

Defo do the summary questions as well as those will be the style of questions you'll get in the exam

Seneca alone probably won't be enough to get a 9 in your GCSEs (in any subject really), a combination of revision techniques is likely to be more beneficial than just one. Practise exam questions are absolutely crucial and getting nearer the exams full past papers. I did get some 9s in science before the actual exams (I ended up getting 876 though because I didn't properly revise for the actual exams).

Seneca is good to summarise the info - alongside seneca, always use the specifications so you know exactly what info is expected of you to know. Whenever you feel stuck, or like you can't understand something, look at a video explanation of that topic, cognito and freesciencelessons helped me a lot.
Don't forget to do practice questions too, so you introduce yourself to the style of the exam. I use PMT and MME revise, I also use cgp higher level workbooks and oxford revise.
For me, when I get overwhelmed with the amount of info I need to know, I summarise it all onto an A4 page using the specification too, so that I have everything in one place if I need to refer back to it.

Overall, to get 9s in science, my best tips would be to use the specification and exam-based questions.
Don't forget to revise your practicals too!! On nearly every science test I did, at least one practical would pop up for a topic, so know your practicals!
Thanks btw are PMT and MME revise the same thing and is one better than the other

Original post by *LifeHappens*
Seneca is good to summarise the info - alongside seneca, always use the specifications so you know exactly what info is expected of you to know. Whenever you feel stuck, or like you can't understand something, look at a video explanation of that topic, cognito and freesciencelessons helped me a lot.
Don't forget to do practice questions too, so you introduce yourself to the style of the exam. I use PMT and MME revise, I also use cgp higher level workbooks and oxford revise.
For me, when I get overwhelmed with the amount of info I need to know, I summarise it all onto an A4 page using the specification too, so that I have everything in one place if I need to refer back to it.

Overall, to get 9s in science, my best tips would be to use the specification and exam-based questions.
Don't forget to revise your practicals too!! On nearly every science test I did, at least one practical would pop up for a topic, so know your practicals!
Thanks btw are PMT and MME revise the same thing and is one better than the other

Happy to help :smile:
PMT and MME revise are different websites
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
The link above is PMT, it has resources for maths, science, english, geography, comp science and a couple more.
https://mmerevise.co.uk/
That link is mme revise and it has resources for maths, science and english, although only few are free.
The reason why I use MME revise is because it has exam questions by topic and...some have actually come up in my end of topic tests, so worth having a look!
Reply 6
just want to pop in and say that revision isn't just about what works (which may sound weird, and of course you don't want to waste your time) but revision is also at this stage about what gets you to a) understand and b) actually enjoy the content. revision for you at this early stage could be mindmapping, it could be watching documentaries around the topics, or listening to a revision podcast, it could be illustrating diagrams (if you're arty), or teaching a friend. at the end of the day, whatever revision you do will only work if you have the motivation to sit down and do it, and it will be more effective if you enjoy it :smile:
I agree! It's important for the revision to be enjoyable and effective too. To have interest in a subject isn't changeable, but to have interest in the way of revision is important - using active ways of revision (like active recall and practice papers) instead of passive revision (rereading notes + simply reading the textbook without processing the info) is the most effective way to get anyone to study the content without feeling miserable and falling asleep.
What's also important for revision is to have the energy to do it, it's super difficult forcing yourself to study if you've just come from a tiring day of school or a club - always prioritise your well-being for that matter and only once you're rested and relaxed will you be able to make effective revision.

Quick Reply

Latest