The Student Room Group

I'm in year 11 and I've just started revising yesterday please help

My gcses are getting close and i am so scared!
I've wasted so much time and i just want to pass so i can get into sixth form

I am doing foundation maths
Triple science
English literature and language (i do quite well so this isnt my concern)
History
Spanish (also quite well but the listening is what annoys me most)
and sociology

I am so worried for maths and triple science i really need tips to better my grades because i am at a 3+ in foundation maths, a 4 in physics, a 4 in chemistry and a 3+ in biology.

I need the revision techniques because i seriously have no clue and i am so freaking stressed i cannot even think straight, please, anyone help me
I would really recommend using past papers and online videos as much as you can. Also flashcards to learn some useful maths equations that you won't get given in your papers. Honestly, do as many physics and maths tutor papers that you can, if you get a question wrong look at the mark scheme to understand what to do to get it right. Do some more questions and come back to the questions you got wrong, retry them.
Original post by vvanitea

Triple science
History
and sociology

I am so worried for maths and triple science i really need tips to better my grades because i am at a 3+ in foundation maths, a 4 in physics, a 4 in chemistry and a 3+ in biology.

I need the revision techniques because i seriously have no clue and i am so freaking stressed i cannot even think straight, please, anyone help me
definitely use the website physicsandmathstutor.com and youtube channels such as freesciencelessons and corbettmaths (corbettmaths also has a website where there are practise questions). do lots of papers, even ones from the old spec and other exam boards.
history i don't take but im told that flashcards are the way to go.
best of luck! we're all in this together.

Triple science
History
and sociology

From my experience:
Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!
For Science I suggest using cognito as it gives quick and easy to understand summary videos. Try eating your knowledge on each topic to address the hardest areas first.
English - is literature try planning essays not writing as it helps you to get to grip with content without wasting time with long essays. Create flash cards of quotes, context and important points. In language try planning essays as well. Occasionally do write them tho as particularly in language you need to know what you can do in the time.
Maths - use maths genie for content revision and exam questions as it has videos on how to do topics and practice question ordered in what grade you want to achieve. If you don’t think you want/need an 8/9 there is no point learning how to do certain topics such as circle theorem proofs so make such to focus achieveably.
seneca

Triple science
History
and sociology

Hi! I'm in year 11 too, taking foundation maths and triple science.

I actually just moved down from higher on both math and triple science, for a few different reasons but when I was on higher, I was getting good grades.

In terms of Math, I'm achieving a top grade (5) in foundation. This might be because of my previous position in Higher, but the best advice I can offer is CorbettMaths. His videos are short, concise and are very easy to understand. His website also offers practice questions to apply your knowledge. Practicing is very important!
Science, the best I can say is to use all resources you have access to. Here are some awesome sites/materials
Seneca
GCSE Pod
Text Books (Preferably the ones your school provide)
-----
Definitely use practice papers and questions. I find that the knowledge you learn in science makes no sense unless you actually apply it in a question.

But please do not worry. As long as you pass, do the best you can in core subjects/ subjects you want for beyond secondary school, you're all good. It's not always realistic to aim for straight 9s, but that's just my feelings.
Please let me know how you did after exams are over! I'm rooting for you. You got this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest