The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I love how people are claiming as if this is some magnificent Portugal side that are deservedly in the QFs.

They didn't win a single game in their extremely easy group, finishing 3rd in the process.
They got a lucky mis-hit/tap in goal at the end of the game from a counter where the opposing team hit the post.

They've done absolutely nothing to show they're a good team and they've fluked their way through an easy group to the easy side of the draw.

As soon as they come up against an Italy/Spain/Germany, they'll get absolutely torn to shreds.

And yes, I'm mad...
Original post by James.Carnell
The kid is raw talent, he is going to be a great B2B player.

Agree its pretty exciting. Gonna follow his development very closely.
Cant believe we didn't get Sanches.
Didn't really get to watch the game due to working commitments, but were Wales that bad? Did they look nervous or just poor?

Either way I'm over the moon, regardless. Despite our record v Belgium, I'd love to take on Hungary for a place in the semi final, potentially against a quite average Portugal side.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Didn't really get to watch the game due to working commitments, but were Wales that bad? Did they look nervous or just poor?

Either way I'm over the moon, regardless. Despite our record v Belgium, I'd love to take on Hungary for a place in the semi final, potentially against a quite average Portugal side.

Not bad, just lacking in attack - agree with the other poster who said that robbson kanu should have started. Bale and Ramsey did not have the best games, dispite bale forcing the own goal..

But your midfield + defense looked good for most of the game
on 3/3 so far in the R16.. so lets keep the predictions going:

Tonight I reckon:

France Vs ROI
Wish I could see ROI winning this.. but I cant. In my eyes after a weak group showing, this is when france will finally kick into gear, and give Ireland a good thrashing. Just ready to tear england appart in the next round.

Hope Im wrong..

Germany Vs Slovakia
Slovakia wont have anywhere near enough, atleast 3 goals to germany

Hungary vs Belgium
Guess this will be an upset. Hungary looked pretty solid in the group stage, and Belgium were very underwhelming. Will be a solid but not special team, against a group of talented indviduals, and I expect the team to win. Narrow Hungary win.
If England do set up the QF clash with France... let's just say they aren't anywhere near emulating their female counterparts who beat hosts Canada in the Women's WC
Original post by shawn_o1
If England do set up the QF clash with France... let's just say they aren't anywhere near emulating their female counterparts who beat hosts Canada in the Women's WC

Not sure what you're trying to say other than you think England have no chance of winning?

If that's what you mean, you're wrong. France would be favourites, but it's completely plausible that England could win, perhaps as high as 40%. A team actually attacking us for once could mean that we can use Vardy/Sturridge on the counter.

Let's focus on beating Iceland first. I hope that the players don't underestimate them, and I hope the Icelandic players actually show a little bit of ambition to score.
After discussion on the lopsided tree, this is how I worked it out if everyone played as expected or on their form, in my opinion without thinking too hard about it:

A
France 9
Switzerland 6
Romania 1
Austria 1

B
England 5
Slovakia 5
Russia 2
Wales 2

C
Germany 7
Poland 7
Ukraine 1
Northern Ireland 1

D
Spain 9
Croatia 4
Czech Republic 2
Turkey 1

E
Italy 5
Belgium 5
Republic of Ireland 5
Sweden 0

F
Portugal 7
Austria 7
Iceland 3
Hungary 0

3rd place
Ireland 5 E
Iceland 3 F
Czech 2 D
Russia 2 B

KOs
Poland def. Switzerland
Spain def. Iceland
England def. Czech Rep.
Belgium def. Portugal
------------
Germany def. Russia
Italy def. Croatia
France def. R.o.Ireland
Austria def. Slovakia

QF
Spain def. Poland
Belgium def. England
----------
Germany def. Italy
France def. Austria

SF
Spain def. Belgium
---------
France def. Germany

Final
France vs Spain

So my conclusion is that the problem is too many naff teams.
Come on Eire! Really want Ireland to win this one.
Original post by James.Carnell
Come on Eire! Really want Ireland to win this one.

It probably won't happen but France are really weak from set pieces and Evra is an absolute liability for them at the back.
Original post by Lúcio
It probably won't happen but France are really weak from set pieces and Evra is an absolute liability for them at the back.

Sagna and Koscielny are vulnerable too. With Koscielny you can always force a mistake out of him.

Their obvious danger men are the likes of Pogba and Payet. However, I think they are not on the level of the legendary players like Zidane and Ronaldinho so they are beatable. It is up to them to prove everyone otherwise.

Let;s put it this way, if Zidane was playing you just know he would dictate the entire game.
England are going to win......I'll leave it at that :england::yay:
**** yeah.
(edited 7 years ago)
#rekt

5-0 incoming :wink:
Original post by Lúcio
I love how people are claiming as if this is some magnificent Portugal side that are deservedly in the QFs.

They didn't win a single game in their extremely easy group, finishing 3rd in the process.
They got a lucky mis-hit/tap in goal at the end of the game from a counter where the opposing team hit the post.

They've done absolutely nothing to show they're a good team and they've fluked their way through an easy group to the easy side of the draw.

As soon as they come up against an Italy/Spain/Germany, they'll get absolutely torn to shreds.

And yes, I'm mad...

Who cares if they didn't win a game? People put far too much emphasis on things that don't matter in sport. Simple fact is that you don't have to be good, you have to be good enough and they clearly have been.

Translation of Croatia hitting post - They missed, or in other words, they weren't good enough.
What a start!! #Revenge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pogba can't defend. Fakest B2B midfielder ever.
If it's England v Ireland next round I still think England will lose
Kante suspended for next game.

Even if France go through, they're screwed now...

Quick Reply

Latest