The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

FB_20160710_23_21_41_Saved_Picture.jpg
Original post by The Wavefunction
My TOTT, off the top of my head. You could pick any centre halves, and I don't think Ronaldo's been great but will probably pick up the golden ball.

Patricio
Boateng, Bonucci, Pepe, Hector
Ramsey, Kroos, Payet
Ronaldo, Griezmann, Giroud

Rafael Guerriero was the best LB in the tournament. What is Giroud doing there?
Original post by Malevolent
No way in hell Ronaldo will win Golden Ball.

Theres two options. Griezmann or Pepe. *To me it has to be Pepe.*

Pepe's been the best, Griezmann the most obvious, but I just feel that it'll be like the World Cup where Messi won it, despite being bang average. James should've won it no questions asked.
Original post by I feel myself
Rafael Guerriero was the best LB in the tournament. What is Giroud doing there?

He was good tonight. Don't forget that he was dropped earlier in the tournament for Eliseu.
Giroud has played very well, scored, created and held the ball up well. He was instrumental against Ireland, Iceland and scored a key goal against Albania. No one else stands out up front.
Imo

Rui Patricio
Kimmich Pepe Bonucci Rafael
Matuidi Dzsudzsàk Krychiowak Kroos Payet
Griezmann

Shame some of the players in teams that didn't go far don't get much credit
Imo

Rui Patricio
Kimmich Pepe Bonucci Rafael
Matuidi Dzsudzsàk Krychiowak Kroos Payet
Griezmann

Shame some of the players in teams that didn't go far don't get much credit

Wouldn't disagree with that team. I might take Payet out though for Ramsey
Original post by The Wavefunction
Pepe's been the best, Griezmann the most obvious, but I just feel that it'll be like the World Cup where Messi won it, despite being bang average. James should've won it no questions asked.

He was good tonight. Don't forget that he was dropped earlier in the tournament for Eliseu.
Giroud has played very well, scored, created and held the ball up well. He was instrumental against Ireland, Iceland and scored a key goal against Albania. No one else stands out up front.

But banging in goals against albania iceland and ireland is nothing to boast about tbh. Not alot of stand out strikers imo in thr tournament
So the confed cup lineup is waiting for the 2017 African champions
(Already confirmed are Germany, Russia, Portugal, Chile, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand)
Original post by Kallisto
Very, very boring.

Hope to forget this tournament as soon as possible. Can you name a match which was really merit for a EURO? can you name a team which was merit to be at the EURO? no? in this sense we have the evidence that this EURO was a waste of time. **

I think Wales were the only interesting part. They played very well for their first international tournament in ages.
Reply 3288
@Lucio stfu
ronaldo did f all.
Was a beautiful ending to the tournament, to see Eder scoring a beauty.
Ronaldo should be an inspiration to all of us. Absolute leader, Portugal looked a different team in extra-time. He paraded the touchline and motivated the players; the guy has now won the biggest accolades (bar World Cup) despite having a relatively poor national team.

He will be remembered as GOAT and an example for everybody else to follow.
Original post by Manchester United
Ronaldo should be an inspiration to all of us. Absolute leader, Portugal looked a different team in extra-time. He paraded the touchline and motivated the players; the guy has now won the biggest accolades (bar World Cup) despite having a relatively poor national team.

Oh god you :lol:
Eder and Gignac. Both teams trying to one up each other with terrible strikers.

Before anyone digs this up Ima fess this up. Take the L right here :lol:
Wouldn't disagree with that team. I might take Payet out though for Ramsey

Who were some of the players you were impressed with yourself? I really liked Dzusdzàk. Captained hungary really impressively, despite being a sub average player for club football...

Can't be that poor if they won the final without their star man? Pepe was immense, generally despicable but he's so dependable at the back. They looked more balanced without Ronaldo.

Either that paradigm is false or he isn't that influential.

They won without CR, and you still think they're below average. Playing international football is more chemistry than quality.
France didn't really have any real opposition until today. Germany didn't have any real attacking threat. Just a load of world class midfielders. All of france oppositions before than were training matches for them. Portugal on the other hand were constantly challenged by the likes of Croatia, Wales etc, notwithstanding the fact they finished 3rd in their group
Besides their mauling of Iceland when the hosts played with attacking impetus and drive, France always seemed to get going if they fell behind or really needed to push the game. Today, they knew what to expect and fell into Portugal's gameplan too easily. They just let it drag on without pushing it besides the best efforts of Sissoko to drag his team mates into a lead. Wonder if Deschamps regrets not bringing Gameiro or Lacazette instead of bringing on Gignac for Giroud substitution. Not giving Martial minutes throughout the tournament was an error also.

Ronaldo's injury, no matter your personal thoughts on him, was sad to see and he'd have feared his team's chances but again, France were poor. Portugal in the end would have been cruel on them had they lost on penalties to Eder's strike was fully deserved. A great team effort and Ronaldo deserves it considering the strain he's had to carry his teammates forward in other tournaments and this one (with his goals than his all-round contribution) is the icing on the cake.
Who were some of the players you were impressed with yourself? I really liked Dzusdzàk. Captained hungary really impressively, despite being a sub average player for club football...

Hmmm trying to think of some players who weren't given enough credit.

* Guerreiro was one of the best full backs this tournament, Portugal missed him badly when he missed that game. Set piece threat constantly and provided an outlet for them. Also defensively pretty solid overall.

Krychowiak, this one is not so obscure. This guy looked like an absolute monster this tournament. Great passing, broke up attack after attack before it got dangerous. PSG got a steal and Emery was a genius to get this deal done ASAP.

Nani, guy did his job superbly. Looked dangerous. If anything kinda wish he took more shots though. :lol:

Kimmich was good, showed a bit of inexperience in the French game but he's still young and he did fantastically otherwise. Kids got a real promising future.

Offensively though this tournament wasn't great, not sure if the defending was of a really high quality or just rather poor the attacking side of the game. *

Quick Reply

Latest