The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is there something regarding * or is there like a glitch on this site that I don't know about? Everyone seems to have a ton of * at the end of their sentences :s

What a great human being.*
Pretty gutted Portugal beat Wales in normal time. The bants would have been off the scale if they had.

And, just gonna throw it out there, I love Ronaldo. Fair enough he's a bit of a dick sometimes but I just find him so hard to dislike. Felt so pleased for him at the end there.
What's up Portugal **** talkers?
Original post by Lúcio
It's a sad day when a team that finished second to bottom in their group can win the competition.

The worst thing about it is that they actually got a significantly easier draw as a reward for their failure...

What's up? Number one **** talker lmao.

image.jpeg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xobeauty
What's up? Number one **** talker lmao.

image.jpeg

Let's be real here "xobeauty", you've never set foot in the Football forum, and are only doing so because the team you allegedly support just so happened to fluke their way to win perhaps the worse European Championships in history.

I doubt you even like football and I doubt you're even Portugese.
Go back to the Chat forum with the other 14 year old girls...
I know I put Pogba in my team of the tournament, but I take that back. He was awful today, he did absolutely nothing.
Original post by Rk2k14
Lol Ronaldo was screaming on the touchlines. Inspiration.

Finally got that international trophy. Bacon d'Or is his.

Bacon d'Or
So now to complete the 'What If?' of if the tournament was still 16 teams, which I started before the tournament by advancing the teams that would likely go through and drawing groups.

Just a bit of fun, don't get your knickers in a twist:

Group A - France, Portugal, Switzerland, Romania
Group B - England, Russia, Austria, Iceland
Group C - Germany, Belgium, Croatia, Poland
Group D - Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland

Group A

France 0-0 Portugal
Romania 1 - 1 Switzerland

Switzerland 0 - 0 France
Portugal 1 - 1 Romania

France 2-1 Romania
Portugal 0 - 0 Switzerland (Portugal win 5-4 on penalties to go 2nd!)

France 5
Portugal 3
-----------------
Switzerland 3
Romania 2

All teams on 2 points makes for a dramatic final round. Payet's late stunner clinches an emotional France win, knocking out Romania. Meanwhile, we at last see a penalty shootout in a group match with Portugal squeaking through.

Group B

England 1 - 1 Russia
Iceland 1 - 1 Austria

Austria 0 - 2 England
Russia 0 - 1 Iceland

England 1 - 2 Iceland
Austria 1 - 0 Russia

Iceland 7
England 4
-------------
Austria 4
Russia 1

Head-to-head means England and Iceland, would you believe it, go through after just 2 matches, but face off for top spot with Iceland getting a shock win. Typical England.

Group C

Germany 2 - 0 Belgium
Poland 1 - 1 Croatia

Germany 1 - 1 Croatia
Belgium 0 - 1 Poland

Poland 0 - 0 Germany
Croatia 2 - 1 Belgium

Croatia 5
Germany 5
--------------
Poland 5
Belgium 0

The mathematicians have to come out for the final round. Germany and Poland could play for a draw, but a Croatia win would see their superior head-to-head top the group and Germany's superior goal difference knock out the Poles. So it came to be, in another tense final round.

Group D

Spain 0 - 2 Italy
Northern Ireland 2 - 1 Czech Republic

Czech Republic 0 - 1 Spain
Italy 1 - 0 Northern Ireland

Spain 1 - 0 Northern Ireland
Czech Republic 0 - 2 Italy

Italy 9
Spain 6
----------------------
Northern Ireland 3
Czech Republic 0

A second-string Italy beat a changed Czech Republic side easily in a nothing match, but all eyes were on the 'playoff' between Northern Ireland and Spain. Nothern Ireland just needed a draw, but their defence just couldn't hold out against Spain, and they couldn't get the equaliser. A heroic display all the same.

Quarter Finals

France 4 - 0 England

Reality hits England square in the face, Roy scribbles a resignation speech at half time, Rashford and Vardy still only play for 10 seconds and yet are the best English performers.

Croatia 2 - 1 Spain

Iceland 1 - 1 Portugal A.E.T. (2 - 4 on penalties)

A relatively boring match ends with Portugal again squeaking through (with albeit another impressive shootout performance)

Italy 1 - 1 Germany A.E.T. (5-6 on penalties)

Semi Finals

France 1 - 0 Croatia

Croatia surprisingly wilt and France inevitably get a goal near the end, probably Payet again.

Portugal 0 - 2 Germany

The Portuguese couldn't grind through every match, and it was asking too much to shut out Germany or to have them come back from a goal down against that defence.

Final

France 2 - 0 Germany

In perhaps the game of the tournament, the hosts celebrate finally defeating the Germans, and once again lift a trophy in Paris. Fireworks, the Tricolor on the Eiffel Tower, a montage of Griezmann and Payet and co. projected onto the Arc de Triomphe.

A great final, Icelandic history is made, a penalty shootout in the group stages, Croatia turning over Spain, and France's emotional wins and late goals, and even Northern Ireland having a go. A truly memorable tournament.

In another dimension somewhere...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SMEGGGY
Yes any can take it but the best are always used first then the rest as required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So after all 11 have taken the kicks, the 6 or 7 substitutes that were benched are also allowed to take penalties?
Well done to Portugal. It was sad to see Ronaldo go off, however, this Portugal team has strength of character and belief and it was great to see Ronaldo motivating his team even though he was injured.

Very happy for Ronaldo and Eder's goal is a thing of beauty. The defenders made a blunder by allowing Eder space and time on the ball and not closing him down.

Congrats to all Portugal fans!
So happy for Ronaldo <3
Ronaldo now a shoe-in for the Balon d'or?
Original post by ravioliyears
Yepp I agree! Even my sister was saying that this match was quite a boring one - and indeed it was. I think the only exciting part was when Ronaldo got an injury as it would've been difficult for Portugal to play without him :dontknow: I was hoping that Wales or Belgium would compete in the final or win - so annoyed haha.

I wanted a wales and germany final :smile:
Original post by The Wavefunction
Ronaldo now a shoe-in for the Balon d'or?

The PR campaign had started long before the Euros, so he has it in the bag.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Surely not better than Brazil 14?

Much better.

98 > 14 > 06 > 02 > (big gap) > 10

Original post by samiz20891
totally agree, had the wallchart, the first time I started a panini sticker book. Also, loved the Sainsbury coins they use to give if you spend £20 I think? It was. Do you remember those?
The hype was build up over a while, had some good matches, Croatia run in the tournament, one of my favourite players in Suker being brilliant in the tournament. Can still remember many of the matches and also matched by the brilliant World Cup 1998 game in the N64

Yep, Was lucky that there was a Sainsburys petrol station on the drive home from school :colondollar:

Remember my entire street cheering when England scored too. You don't get that nowadays.
Why isnt anyone mentioning how bad portugal have been throughout the tournament- even in the final, france were the better team and created most chances. portugal have been perhaps the least inspiring winner of a major tournament and yet Ronaldo is giving speeches to crowds like he did a maradona '86

why arnt the media claling it like it was?
Original post by Chakede
Why isnt anyone mentioning how bad portugal have been throughout the tournament- even in the final, france were the better team and created most chances. portugal have been perhaps the least inspiring winner of a major tournament and yet Ronaldo is giving speeches to crowds like he did a maradona '86

why arnt the media claling it like it was?

PR and a media narrative... Welcome to the media feeding rubbish to fit a narrative. Ronaldo was on the periphery but has been heralded as the protagonist, yet Nani, Pepe and Quaresma played more crucial roles and even Eder, the most unlikeliest of scorers, has written himself into Portuguese folklore.
Who would have thought it?

A knock out tournament not being won by the best team.
Original post by moggis
Who would have thought it?

A knock out tournament not being won by the best team.
international football emphasises more on chemistry and team play than quality, as most of the players rarely get to play together

Quick Reply

Latest