The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=I feel myself;66378428]international football emphasises more on chemistry and team play than quality, as most of the players rarely get to play together

It's ok,personally I love the fact that the best team usually doesn't win.
Original post by Chakede
Why isnt anyone mentioning how bad portugal have been throughout the tournament- even in the final, france were the better team and created most chances. portugal have been perhaps the least inspiring winner of a major tournament and yet Ronaldo is giving speeches to crowds like he did a maradona '86

why arnt the media claling it like it was?

France created half chances, anyone can create half chances and loft the ball to the striker. Portugal had France in their pocket, france had no plan, no good passing. The best teams in the tournament were Germany, Portugal, Italy, followed by maybe wales with ramsey fit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
France created half chances, anyone can create half chances and loft the ball to the striker. Portugal had France in their pocket, france had no plan, no good passing. The best teams in the tournament were Germany, Portugal, Italy, followed by maybe wales with ramsey fit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Half chances is a tad unfair. If that Griezmann header fell to Ronaldo, 99/100 that hits the top corner. Gignac putting Pepe on his back side before scuffing it onto the post.

Portugal had very little to show, even the FK onto the crossbar came from a ref error and that saw Koscienly booked, which made him cautious for Eder goal, when he otherwise would have gotten tighter.

France were better than Portugal but the Eder strike was excellent. 1 win in 90 minutes and finished third in a group they were wildly tipped to win, doesn't make you think of a great team.

The best teams were: Italy, Germany, France, Spain...
Original post by Fish40

Posted from TSR Mobile

not half chances - actual chances - hitting the woodwork twice, close saves by patricio etc.france had far more possestion and more shots on goal. portugal rode their luck and won with another late extra time goal, which has been their theme throughout the tournement. fair play to them, but it should be noted that they have been poor throughout. i would say wales were the story of the whole tournement, france were decent, italy germany & portugal average, iceland heroes. England , well less said the better
[QUOTE=Chakede;66396894]not half chances - actual chances - hitting the woodwork twice, close saves by patricio etc.france had far more possestion and more shots on goal. portugal rode their luck and won with another late extra time goal, which has been their theme throughout the tournement. fair play to them, but it should be noted that they have been poor throughout. i would say wales were the story of the whole tournement, france were decent, italy germany & portugal average, iceland heroes. England , well less said the better

Germany average really??? Italy average really??? IMO those two teams actually were the best in the tournament that actually entertained me , did you actually watch the Germany v Italy game or was it just all in my imagination that game had more drama than what the whole tournament produced. To say the world champions were average is quite an understatement, France on the other hand were average played average throughout the whole tournament, once played with Germany all Germany had to do was stupidly make two MISTAKES and there we go France flew into the final probably made German fans sick we didn't deserve that...
Original post by Firefly:Serenity
Germany average really??? Italy average really??? IMO those two teams actually were the best in the tournament that actually entertained me , did you actually watch the Germany v Italy game or was it just all in my imagination that game had more drama than what the whole tournament produced. To say the world champions were average is quite an understatement, France on the other hand were average played average throughout the whole tournament, once played with Germany all Germany had to do was stupidly make two MISTAKES and there we go France flew into the final probably made German fans sick we didn't deserve that...

Italy were the best team in the tournament, let's be honest.
Had they beaten Germany on penalties, there's absolutely no doubt they would've won the tournament.

Germany were okay but not quite at their own lofty standards.
France were extremely inconsistent throughout.
Portugal were hilariously poor which makes it even funnier that they're supposedly the best team in Europe now.

The big disappointment for me was Croatia - they played some magnificent football and went out way too early to an extremely poor Portugal side.

That's football but all in all, what an awful tournament this was...
Reply 3326
Original post by Lúcio
Italy were the best team in the tournament, let's be honest.
Had they beaten Germany on penalties, there's absolutely no doubt they would've won the tournament.

Germany were okay but not quite at their own lofty standards.
France were extremely inconsistent throughout.
Portugal were hilariously poor which makes it even funnier that they're supposedly the best team in Europe now.

The big disappointment for me was Croatia - they played some magnificent football and went out way too early to an extremely poor Portugal side.

That's football but all in all, what an awful tournament this was...

No you're chatting ****.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
No you're chatting ****.

Strong argument pal!!!
Original post by Lúcio
Strong argument pal!!!

Tbf you gave no reason to support your opinion. The closest you got was stating that Croatia played magnificent football. Otherwise it was all opinion stated as facts.
Original post by atom y humber
Tbf you gave no reason to support your opinion. The closest you got was stating that Croatia played magnificent football. Otherwise it was all opinion stated as facts.

The entire post was my opinion you absolute melt.

I was challenging Jam for not expanding in the slightest...
Reply 3330
Original post by Lúcio

I'm saying your opinion means **** to me. Portugal conceded 1 goal in the knockout rounds so defensively Portugal were clearly excellent. they used the fact they have good players in the air/set pieces and on the counter to perfection and focused on getting the side defensively stable against midfields that were clearly stronger than them in Croatia/France.

Fine the midfield and attack were not cohesive in terms of build up play but that's what happens when you play with 3 box to box players with a DM, but that made them more defensively solid and harder to break down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I'm saying your opinion means **** to me. Portugal conceded 1 goal in the knockout rounds so defensively Portugal were clearly excellent. they used the fact they have good players in the air/set pieces and on the counter to perfection and focused on getting the side defensively stable against midfields that were clearly stronger than them in Croatia/France.

Fine the midfield and attack were not cohesive in terms of build up play but that's what happens when you play with 3 box to box players with a DM, but that made them more defensively solid and harder to break down.

Is it possible for you the submit a post without coming across as a massive tool?

In a tournament as short as this, luck can play a huge part and my God did Portugal get more than their fair share.
I love how you did the cut off so it only included knock-out games - Portugal were bang average tonight and the stars aligned for them to win this tournament.

I agree that it can't have been entirely down to luck - perhaps their style of play restricted others and made them play badly, perhaps not.
They won a single game in 90 minutes out of the 7 they played. That is not a "clearly excellent" side to me.

We both know you're baiting anyway - when you're bored you make hilarious statements for laughs, like your ridiculous overestimation of Liverpool every season.
Original post by Lúcio

Yh melt. I know it's your opinion. I'm stating you can't state strong argument when there isn't anything to refute. How do you expect someone to respond to your opinion with more than yes or crap?

Seriously. I'll allow your hypocrisy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3333
Original post by Lúcio
Is it possible for you the submit a post without coming across as a massive tool?

In a tournament as short as this, luck can play a huge part and my God did Portugal get more than their fair share.
I love how you did the cut off so it only included knock-out games - Portugal were bang average tonight and the stars aligned for them to win this tournament.

Same way Barcelona in 08/09 were lucky to win a treble(CL semi final), even though they were a great side luck gets you through the line. Portugal played a different style of football from the group stages to the knockouts which was plain to see, which was why they went from conceding 3 goals to Hungary to conceding once in 550 mins of football in the knockouts.

I agree that it can't have been entirely down to luck - perhaps their style of play restricted others and made them play badly, perhaps not.

They won a single game in 90 minutes out of the 7 they played. That is not a "clearly excellent" side to me.

You agree with me what I was trying to say. You have 3 box to box midfielders, two playing wide roles, no playmaker and a DM, how are you going to create chances? Atlético do something similar all the ****ing time and they get praised for it.

We both know you're baiting anyway - when you're bored you make hilarious statements for laughs, like your ridiculous overestimation of Liverpool every season.

Also I'm not baiting, it didn't warrant a serious discussion because I thought your logic was ridiculous and it still is ridiculous.

Note that I haven't at once said Portugal played the best football in the competition, all I have said is that they were the deserved winners, they played to the rules and won by it.

Spoiler

Well one thing Lucio said surely no one can argue with.

What a pile of **** that tournament was.

Of course that can only be an opinion but certainly the main sport writers* seem to agree.

International football becomes more and more irrelevant every year just as club football advances apace.

*Well ok the Guardian and one other but Id be amazed if any sports writer thought that was good.
Interesting but if it was PORITA in the final, who you think would've won?

Quick Reply

Latest