Germany
Poland(my country of origin)
Northern Ireland
Ukraine

I think that with a good set of performances we can make it out:biggrin:
Original post by difeo
Ramsey's barely top 5

Obv meant Joe Allen.

Nah, a fit and firing Ramsey is better than any English midfielder. Only a fit Sturridge I'd pick over him, and that's a rarity.
Reply 22
A shame that neither Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland will progress, but Wales have every chance. I think the draw has been very kind to both Hodgson and Coleman. Can't wait for that game.
Having seen Swansea's goal and heard about Butland's performance today as well as the whole season, I'm more and more inclined to believe that Hodgson should have given Butland a go in one of the friendlies. Hart isn't world class and never will be, I don't really see why he gets a guaranteed spot.

Original post by The Wavefunction
Obv meant Joe Allen.

Nah, a fit and firing Ramsey is better than any English midfielder. Only a fit Sturridge I'd pick over him, and that's a rarity.

You'd have Ramsey over Harry Kane...?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
If England win the group - and they should - they'll play a third-placed team in the last 16 and then, potentially, Belgium, Italy or Portugal in the quarters.
ROI - damn, what a tough group.

Some good games and fixtures there. Ronaldo broke the record for the most goals in the CL group stages, looking at that draw, he should be banging in the goals!
Original post by Diego Costa

You'd have Ramsey over Harry Kane...?

100%, yes.
Reply 27
Obv meant Joe Allen.

Sterling and Smalling are at least on Ramsey's level imo
100%, yes.

There's an argument that Kane is World Class, with Ramsey I'm not so sure.
Original post by difeo
Sterling and Smalling are at least on Ramsey's level imo

Can't argue with that. My Welsh bias puts Ramsey ahead though.

There's an argument that Kane is World Class, with Ramsey I'm not so sure.

Ramsey, when fit and played in the correct position is world class.
World class strikers; Suarez, Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero, Ibrahimovic and possibly Aubameyang. Kane isn't in that quality of striker yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ramsey, when fit and played in the correct position is world class.
World class strikers; Suarez, Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero, Ibrahimovic and possibly Aubameyang. Kane isn't in that quality of striker yet.

I said there's an argument he is. Kane is about the same level as Benzema imo.

Is Ramsay as good as Modric, Iniesta, Marchisio, Toure, Fabregas (when he can be bothered)
I said there's an argument he is. Kane is about the same level as Benzema imo.

Is Ramsay as good as Modric, Iniesta, Marchisio, Toure, Fabregas (when he can be bothered)

I have to disagree there. Whilst I'm not a huge Benzema fan (he misses too many chances for my liking), his build up play is generally good and he scores in Europe. As long as Kane is only scoring in domestic competitions and the Europa league, he can't be considered world class imo.

No - No - Yes - Yes - Yes.
Reply 32
Thing is, even if Wales or England lose that Home Nations meeting, they know one win from their other two games will see them through probably.
Original post by Mackay
If England win the group - and they should - they'll play a third-placed team in the last 16 and then, potentially, Belgium, Italy or Portugal in the quarters.

I'd like Portugal. It'd be nice to put them out after 2004 + 2006.
Reply 34
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'd like Portugal. It'd be nice to put them out after 2004 + 2006.

A nice narrative to see Ronaldo up against the English media etc too.
I have to disagree there. Whilst I'm not a huge Benzema fan (he misses too many chances for my liking), his build up play is generally good and he scores in Europe. As long as Kane is only scoring in domestic competitions and the Europa league, he can't be considered world class imo.

No - No - Yes - Yes - Yes.

Fair enough. I don't really agree with Marchisio, but the others I can understand.

To be fair, Kane played really well against Chelsea last season (2 goals and won a pen) and Arsenal (scored twice). With the exception of Bayern, Barca and both Madrid sides, I would call those among the top in Europe.

With Ramsey, it's difficult for me to say he is world class, given that he hasn't really matched his performances pre-injury, so I'm not sure whether it was a good player in a terrific run of for or a terrific player in a good run of form.

Thinking about it though, England in the centre of midfield aren't that good but have a fair few strikers, so I'm probably inclined to agree with you.
Never mind Christmas, this draw was the only thing I was counting down to this month. Some great fixtures. I found out my matches, I knew I didn’t have any tickets for Portugal matches as I didn’t have a ticket for a pot 1 club, but I was hoping to get a Wales match but I missed out. In the end I ended up with RoI-Sweden, Ukraine-Poland and Iceland-Hungary. I’ll definitely go to the RoI game but hoping to exchange the latter two games when you can swap tickets in April, so I’ll try again then for either Wales or Portugal matches.

Anyone going to apply for tickets as they have the public ballot open from tomorrow (well, today now that we're past midnight) along with having to be a member of the supporter groups or hold a passport from that country for nations without the supporter groups? I can’t imagine how many people are going to apply for England-Wales tickets. I'll try but I know my chances will be very, very slim.

It's crazy when you look at it as you have a game like England-Wales in a 35,000 seater stadium and then you have a game like Iceland-Hungary in a 67,000 seater stadium but obviously that's all decided before the draw.
Reply 37
Hodgson set to stay on until 2018 and the World Cup in Russia, according to pretty much everybody.
Original post by Mackay
Hodgson set to stay on until 2018 and the World Cup in Russia, according to pretty much everybody.

My predicted England lineup to take to Russia

Rooney (c) Welbeck
Lingard Shelvey Cleverley Milner
Gibbs Jones Stones Walker
Hart
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
My predicted England lineup to take to Russia

Rooney (c) Welbeck
Lingard Shelvey Cleverley Milner
Gibbs Jones Stones Walker
Hart

Can't see Cleverley ever becoming an England player personally, but I'd be amazed if your back four wasn't correct.

Quick Reply

Latest