The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Alli obviously belongs in a more advanced position. Laughable he was deployed so deep.

Well if you have woy as manager....anything is possible........
Reply 581
Original post by Dhanny
Well if you have woy as manager....anything is possible........

To be fair to Hodgson, I see where he's coming from. He wants to shield the back four - and that's sensible. But Alli is not the man for that. At all. We saw against Turkey that he loses his man at the edge of the box, and he's best in an advanced position, not with defensive duties.
Imo Milner has to be dropped for Wilshere or Sterling and Rooney has to play further back.
On the bright side if we fail , Rooney will most likely be vilified in the media as the fall guy and we won't have to see him play again in an England shirt.

Everyone thinks he is shit, but we persist with him anyway. He is our very own Olivier Giroud. A useless lamppost.
Original post by James.Carnell
On the bright side if we fail , Rooney will most likely be vilified in the media as the fall guy and we won't have to see him play again in an England shirt.

Everyone thinks he is ****, but we persist with him anyway. He is our very own Olivier Giroud. A useless lamppost.

I wish someone replaced Roy Hodgson to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 585
Doesn't look promising for Clyne, to be honest. Walker was probably England's shining light tonight.
wilshere has to play
Haven't watched any of the England games. Has that been *that* bad?
Good to see England preparing for tournament football in their usual manner: playing all their friendlies with home advantage.

Even played France in England a while ago. Says it all about what takes priority regarding England's football.
Based on this dire performance, I think it's safe to say Rooney has passed it and quite simply can't play up front and down the middle anymore. Too many times did I see him come back deep, plus Alli had to play in a deeper role. Rooney has to make way and let the youth take the attacking charge.

Vardy Kane

Alli

Rooney Milner Dier

Rose Smalling Cahill Clyne

Hart

This is are strongest available side with the best formation.

I admit it's not too offensive, but hey ho!
Original post by The Roast
Based on this dire performance, I think it's safe to say Rooney has passed it and quite simply can't play up front and down the middle anymore. Too many times did I see him come back deep, plus Alli had to play in a deeper role. Rooney has to make way and let the youth take the attacking charge.

Vardy Kane

Alli

Rooney Milner Dier

Rose Smalling Cahill Clyne

Hart

This is are strongest available side with the best formation.

I admit it's not too offensive, but hey ho!

I think the side and formation look great although I'm still not sure about Milners inclusion.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dhanny
I think the side and formation look great although I'm still not sure about Milners inclusion.......

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree, slightly.

I think he gives touch more experience and he's a workhorse and provides, arguably, more threat than Rooney.

That Alli > Kane partnership will tear defences apart and then having Vardy on top of that is bloody incredible... Roy can't throw this all away by putting Rooney in CAM because it'll bring our team to snail pace.
Reply 592
Milner sucks ffs. Did you lot not just watch that game. He sucks for England and there is no creativity in that team. Alli isn't that creative and neither is Rooney.

Wilshere is England's best midfielder when fit. Sturridge should be playing next to Kane when the defence is dropping deep as Vardy excels when the ball is at his feet for little periods and he's in space. Sturridge can play with less space in behind(like he's been doing for Liverpool this season)
Reply 593
I do agree, slightly.

I think he gives touch more experience and he's a workhorse and provides, arguably, more threat than Rooney.

That Alli > Kane partnership will tear defences apart and then having Vardy on top of that is bloody incredible... Roy can't throw this all away by putting Rooney in CAM because it'll bring our team to snail pace.

Wilshere is England's best midfielder, you can see that his introduction and ability to dribble and make forward passes injected pace into the game and helped with Sterling to get the goal when before England were passing it side to side and trying to hit diagonals to Walker.

Vardy is great against the top teams who will play a high line otherwise I'm pretty sure he'll be useless.

Rooney shouldn't be starting but he'll start...
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Wilshere is England's best midfielder, you can see that his introduction and ability to dribble and make forward passes injected pace into the game and helped with Sterling to get the goal when before England were passing it side to side and trying to hit diagonals to Walker.

Vardy is great against the top teams who will play a high line otherwise I'm pretty sure he'll be useless.

Rooney shouldn't be starting but he'll start...

Rooney is going to start, so the best place to put him is deep imo. He can do the simple things well, although he excels at nothing. Essentially he should be playing the water carrier role and helping Dier defend/win the ball back quickly... then passing it to more talented players. Forget about him being Scholes and spraying balls across the pitch, as we have seen such attempts from him at the cross field balls have a high percentage failure rate.

Imo the leadership aspect is underrated and if we do hit hard times I think he is not a bad person to have on the field. And since the expectations are low with him, I think he will be fine. We do have a very inexperienced team when it comes to delivering trophies. The mentality aspect is very important given tight margins. Hence, Rooney needs to Deschamps. I do think he can be good in terms of his work rate and tenacity at the middle of the park... he's nullified Ozil a few times as far as I remember.

Now...

I think we should drop Vardy and put Sterling on the wing. And replace Milner with Wilshere (Wilshere is so very composed on the ball, that is priceless). That is the most sensible option I think. Sturridge should be coming on if Kane is not hitting exceptional form.

Roy has tried Sterling up top in the game against Australia, I think it can work as he can drift on the wings where needed. Being at City he will have picked up the tactical intelligence to adapt. Also, I thought Sterling gave a good account of himself against Real Madrid so he certainly is a very competent player.
(edited 7 years ago)
Rooney is going to start, so the best place to put him is deep imo. He can do the simple things well, although he excels at nothing. Essentially he should be playing the water carrier role and helping Dier defend/win the ball back quickly... then passing it to more talented players. Forget about him being Scholes and spraying balls across the pitch, as we have seen such attempts from him at the cross field balls have a high percentage failure rate.

Imo the leadership aspect is underrated and if we do hit hard times I think he is not a bad person to have on the field. And since the expectations are low with him, I think he will be fine. We do have a very inexperienced team when it comes to delivering trophies. The mentality aspect is very important given tight margins. Hence, Rooney needs to Deschamps. I do think he can be good in terms of his work rate and tenacity at the middle of the park... he's nullified Ozil a few times as far as I remember.

Now...

I think we should drop Vardy and put Sterling on the wing. And replace Milner with Wilshere (Wilshere is so very composed on the ball, that is priceless). That is the most sensible option I think. Sturridge should be coming on if Kane is not hitting exceptional form.

Roy has tried Sterling up top in the game against Australia, I think it can work as he can drift on the wings where needed. Being at City he will have picked up the tactical intelligence to adapt. Also, I thought Sterling gave a good account of himself against Real Madrid so he certainly is a very competent player.

Drop a PL winner for a flop - top logic.
Drop a PL winner for a flop - top logic.

Playing two strikers will not work as we will have no width in the team. Too narrow. Vardy is not a wide player. The problem with England is we always try to play people out of position because the coaching team are too afraid to drop them.
Also, Sterling made an immediately strong contribution when he came on, good assist.
Playing two strikers will not work as we will have no width in the team. Too narrow. Vardy is not a wide player. The problem with England is we always try to play people out of position because the coaching team are too afraid to drop them.

With the formation I provided, everyone is in position.

If Roy doesn't play Rooney in a deeper position I'm going to support France.

This is Roy's last tournament.
Also, Sterling made an immediately strong contribution when he came on, good assist.

So he's the kind of player you can sub on for an impact. He's not starting XI material.

Quick Reply

Latest