The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
You know what is really p*ssing me off lately, when pundits say things like "you've gotta foul the player there and take the yellow card for the team." Purposely fouling somebody is cheating just as much as diving, I can not understand why they are encouraging it so much.
Original post by cBay
You know what is really p*ssing me off lately, when pundits say things like "you've gotta foul the player there and take the yellow card for the team." Purposely fouling somebody is cheating just as much as diving, I can not understand why they are encouraging it so much.

Almost as bad as when they say "there was a hint of offside" when a striker scores a clearly offside goal.

It either is or it isn't....
Original post by Wilfred Little
I've preferred the Copa America to this so far. This tournament will come to life once we get to the knockouts.

I've had no opportunity to watch that unfortunately. When I have to be up at 6:30am every morning for work it's hard to justify staying up all night to see the games. It's been given almost no media coverage in the UK either, I had no idea Brazil had been knocked out in the group stages (which is a really big deal) until I saw it on Twitter.

Yeh i'm looking forward to seeing the "big four" (France, Germany, Spain & Italy) go head to head.
Original post by cBay

Disagree, the rules don't say that fouling is an illegal move, they say that if you do it, the other team is rewarded with a free kick/penalty. The difference with diving is that the idea is to deceive the ref.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I've preferred the Copa America to this so far. This tournament will come to life once we get to the knockouts.

Such a hipster, Wilf
Nice £50 profit on belgium to win that game
Original post by The Wavefunction
Such a hipster, Wilf

It's not hipsterish :biggrin:

It's been a very good tournament with lots of exciting moments.
Iceland Hungary must be the least popular match. Anyone watching it?
Original post by Pablo Picasso

Are you kidding? This is the most interesting match of the day!

If Hungary win, they're through and if Iceland win, they have a great chance of going through.
That's mental for two of the lesser teams in this competition.

I'm rooting for Iceland, got some real respect for them!
agree with lucio above

Most people I know seem to have adopted iceland as their 2nd team (or 4th team, if your routing for all UK teams) (or 5th team, if you include ireland)

They are such underdogs its just a hugely compelling story.
Original post by fallen_acorns
agree with lucio above

Most people I know seem to have adopted iceland as their 2nd team (or 4th team, if your routing for all UK teams) (or 5th team, if you include ireland)

They are such underdogs its just a hugely compelling story.

Exactly, you can't help but love them - their chanting is amazing too.

I feel like I'm supporting way too many teams though:

1) England
2) Rep. Ireland
3) N. Ireland
4) Iceland
5) Italy (sweepstake team)

It would also be nice to see Wales do well too.
Germans have the best chants.

Not sure if watching football game or preparing for war.
Yeah this tournament so far couldn't care less. The new format hasn't made it interesting. Copa like Wilfred said has been bloody good.
Original post by Pablo Picasso

Yeh I am. Absolute scenes when Iceland finish above Portugal.

Least popular game will be Romania vs Albania imo. 2 teams nobody cares about and it's on at the same time as France v Switzerland.
Iceland are a strong team. I'll be happy if they progress to the last 16.
I think we should persist with Sterling tbh, if only people showed some faith he could be absolutely world class. Hate seeing the media destroy yet another strong prospect. We only need one striker up front, the fluency in our play is a lot more important than having two strikers and I think Sterling can offer a lot tactically.
This game is lacking in quality so much it's embarassing.
Just seen the fail of the tournament. A Hungary free-kick... passed straight to an Iceland player
Original post by sr90
This game is lacking in quality so much it's embarassing.

Even the referee is shocking. Seems to be a power freak, giving out free-kicks and yellow cards like they're nothing.
Original post by shawn_o1
Just seen the fail of the tournament. A Hungary free-kick... passed straight to an Iceland player

Spit my coffee out watching that. Sorry but teams like this don't belong at a major tournament.

Quick Reply

Latest