The Student Room Group

The best example why the left love Islam

Scroll to see replies

Are you a Trump sympathiser? i.e. closet racist?
I sometimes feel like I was the only one on the left that actually cared about atheism and women's rights. It seems the rest of them just hate tradition and society, and want to watch the world burn.

I lost a lot of friends recently because I took a right-wing stance on Islam. I don't want that culture/religion here, and I honestly don't even like that they have it in the Middle East. I tried to be tolerant and stay silent on the issue among personal friends, but the various attacks by Islamic extremists have made me feel that I can't accept that view as sane or rational any longer. My goal was for women in the Middle East to have western-style freedoms and reduce the influence of Islam so apostates wouldn't have to live in fear. Not for women in Western countries to have to be "tolerant" of Muslim men leering at them for not covering their head and having these horrible people over here forcing us to be respectful of Mohammed or risk being killed.

I once wrote a paper on human rights for transgendered people in Malaysia, which is considered a fairly "evolved" Islamic country. But in reality, the country had its roots in something other than Islam, and has slid backwards on human rights the more Islamic it becomes. I sensed a conflict between the left-wing ideas of multiculturalism/tolerance/minorities and the ones of human rights and promoting specific principles. A reluctance of many feminists to criticizing the way women are treated in those countries. I always wondered if it was just because it didn't affect people in this country, but now I see that they are willing to sacrifice everything else in the name of tolerance and compassion. It's depressing to realize that most of the left is now just right-wing cultural/ethnic minorities in disguise who are using left-wing ideology against itself in order to gain a foothold in our culture and destabilize it.
Original post by Gears265
Courtesy of you lot we have many sharia courts active in the uk

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sharia-courts-in-the-uk-should-be-stopped-from-presiding-over-divorces-campaigners-warn-a6762721.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/626635/85-Sharia-courts-doling-out-justice-under-radar-English-law

You lot encourage immigration from the Middle East and this is the result.

You never hear the left cry about this do you

You are a complete and utter mongoloid aren't you?

From your own source:

However, Gita Sahgal, executive director, Centre for Secular Space, and one of those behind the letter, said: “The practice of sharia councils not only undermines the rule of law in Britain, but also the rule of law in Muslim majority countries.”Another signatory, Pragna Patel, director, Southall Black Sisters, said: “We are aware of many cases where women have been denied a divorce even though they have been deserted by their partners or have been subject to violence and abuse.” She added: “In the majority of cases, they are left at risk of further violence and abuse.And Keith Porteous Wood, executive director, National Secular Society, commented: “A key priority must also be to educate Muslim women, some of whom have no knowledge of British justice, that the secular courts are there to protect them, and that when they marry they should insist on a civil marriage too.”

It's people like you that makes people think criticism of Islam is racist.
(edited 8 years ago)
What's your point? Sharia courts are being run in Islamic communities, are you not going to address that or just sympathise?

My point is you said that the left wing are not addressing things like shariah courts and then posted an article which shows that in fact they are being addressed by left wing groups.

I don't want any religious law in the UK particularly Islamic.

Like so many right wingers you've conflated liberalism which likes multiculturalism and thinks we should tolerate and accept different customs with genuine left wing thought that wants a universal secular order.
Its one thing to say the left are against it but that means nothing when the source of the problem stems from the left wing idea "we need to be tolerant", "we need to be politically correct", "we can not interfere in case we cause offense"...all that rubbish that has seen extremism flourish. Had we done it my way or the Right way (pun intended), the problem would have been rooted and destroyed. The lefty way of pandering has turned some areas of the UK into third world dumps where sharia is done in the shadows, disgraceful

Educate yourself man there is a clear difference between Multi cultural liberalism and Left wing thought- it would be as ridiculous as me saying that David Cameron's obsession about calling Islam the religion of peace is indicative of conservative thought.
Original post by Davij038
Educate yourself man there is a clear difference between Multi cultural liberalism and Left wing thought- it would be as ridiculous as me saying that David Cameron's obsession about calling Islam the religion of peace is indicative of conservative thought.

But that would mess with his nice world view he has going on.

I sincerely hope they burn and suffer a slow, painful death. Hopefully Assad and Putin get to these lot first

As a matter of fact im not a naive however I just think differently from you -_- I think realistically from different perspectives and I'm not just sticking up for my own kind.

Islam forbade killing of an ant.
And Terrorism has no language..which religion teaches you to kill?
And If Islam is for killing people...it won't be fastest growing religion by way of conversion

You want peace ?

Yet you won't keep peace with those who haven't done wrong, yet you just generalize an entire group of people for the actions of a small group.

IRONIC ayeee ....Just trying to fuel a burning fire, instead of actually stopping it.

You know those who have come back actually have told their story of how they imagined it would be compared to what the reality is when they are there. So actually, by coming back they haven't been bombing people instead thy have put sense in to others.
Reply 67
All the left say is Islam is the religion of peace, it gets less convincing everytime there is a terror attack
The petition to ban Trump from the UK started before the comments towards Muslims.

After him insulting Mexicans, women, black African Americans, gay individuals, disabled individuals, various nations across the world and so on, the left still did not care.

But when he says something against Muslims the left come in their swarms to sign the petition. This shows that they rush to the defence of Islam and have a special relationship with it.

Why does the comments towards Islam bring out the emotion in the left but not insulting comments towards anything (or anyone) else?

Because Trump's comments about Muslims received mass media attention and alerted more people to the petition existing, I had no idea it existed prior to his comments on Muslims, and I would have signed it before had I known.

Of course the left don't like homophobia and sexism, but they also don't like categorising everyone in an entire religion and banning all of them from entering a country.
Its one thing to say the left are against it but that means nothing when the source of the problem stems from the left wing idea "we need to be tolerant", "we need to be politically correct", "we can not interfere in case we cause offense"...all that rubbish that has seen extremism flourish. Had we done it my way or the Right way (pun intended), the problem would have been rooted and destroyed. The lefty way of pandering has turned some areas of the UK into third world dumps where sharia is done in the shadows, disgraceful

You just contradicted yourself. You claim that the left say that 'we can not interfere in case we cause offence,' in response to a speaker quoting a source which speaks about how the Shariah courts were adressed and 'interfered' in.
Your naivety is dangerous but luckily the overwhelming consensus is against your proposals.

A lot of what you said is actually false

I sometimes wonder if you have actually read the Quran, after reading it in context I was far from impressed. Promoting the death of non-believers, inserting a superior complex over non-believers. It's pretty sad you rely on 6th/7th century man made writings to promote your point

Original post by mikeoxlong000
Have you actually read the Quran and not cherry picked quotes to support your own biased view? There are 291 verses in the Quran which promote compassion (which incorporates love and kindness and mercy and forgiveness to others). I advise you read it one day with an open mindset, as in general, if you go looking for hate, you will inevitably find hate, but if you go looking for love, you will find love. A mindset which we should all strive to adopt.

^been said the best way possible ...couldn't agree more !
So basically you are saying that insulting Muslims/Islam is more personal to you than sexist remarks and homophobic remarks. Haven't you just proved my point?

No dear. I was stating that Trump's desire to ban all Muslims, regardless of how tolerant their beliefs are, is absolutely ridiculous and unfounded.

It is irrelevant how 'personal' it is to me, it's common sense that discriminating against an entire group based on the beliefs of some, is not an ideal which we should strive for in the 21st century.
Ha, you want to talk about contradiction, the left: "we are against homophobia, sexism, animal cruelty, promotion of death to different groups (non believers in this case- multiple verses site it), transphobia...", the list is endless. The left: "But we support a 6th/7th century barbaric ideology in our society that is all of the above". The biggest contradiction in the history of politics.

Islam in its most fundamental form is highly intolerant, similar to fundamental Christianity and Judaism. The ideal is encouraging more moderate forms of religion under freedom of religion, but punishing those who cause harm to others violently in their homophobia and sexism, hence why hate laws exist.

It is about striking a balance: freedom of religion, within the boundary of one not causing harm to others.

Some do cause harm to others, but to discriminate against all is reactionary and extreme.
Was thinking this too, its weird how selective (based upon race) the hard left are.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
You know that thing about how the right-wingers are obsessed and have to start a new thread every day about Muslims, feminism or "the left"....

Rinse and Repeat. It's not an average day on TSR without some bigotry regarding Muslims, Feminism and how evil the left is.

You see the same old names here too, that is once they come out of their caves.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Rinse and Repeat. It's not an average day on TSR without some bigotry regarding Muslims, Feminism and how evil the left is.

You see the same old names here too, that is once they come out of their caves.

It's not an average day on TSR without some bigotry regarding Tories, the West and how evil the right is.
Original post by Cato the Elder
It's not an average day on TSR without some bigotry regarding Tories, the West and how evil the right is.

Don't see many threads regarding the West and how evil the right is tbh. Can't speak for the Conservatives though, I'll link you to the Model House of Commons if you're into doing that.
Islam is different to Christianity. Christisnity once a very disgusting religion (still is) allows itself to be subject to change and reform to progress with modern values. Islam prides itself on not reforming, on being stuck in its ways from the 6/7th century word for word and to the dot. Any change they consider a violation of God's word. How do you possibly work with that? How to you possibly expect to move away from the verses inciting death and a superior complex among Islamic followers but an inferior complex among non believers and other groups? As long as those verses remain there, the problem will never go away.

You talk so much about the minority violent extremists but forget a large majority is part of the silent extremists, ones who don't commit acts but hold extremist views to the point leaving the religion or cheating or coming out can result in expulsion from the family and community. That's the moderates you support.

Orthodox Judaism also believes that the Old Testament can't be changed, as it is the direct word of God. You don't get Jewish extremism (or it's rare) because people have become happy to overlook the harsher aspects and most now fully believe in modern, Western morality.

Christianity went through a very violent stage in the form of Crusades, Islam came a few hundred years after that and is thus in it's extremist phase. In a few hundred years Islam too should have mellowed out and become more moderate.
So you are relying on it changing in a few hundred years. Right, you have no evidence of this becoming the case so we should just accept the ideology? Good god man and they wonder why the left are nuts

I was responding to the claim that Islam can not be tolerant and unchangeable as it is believed to be the clear word of God. I also said previously that laws exist and are enforced which prevent hate crime, violent homophobia and sexism etc.

It is ridiculous to ban an entire group of people from entering a country, as Trump wishes to, when a significant number have only moderate intentions.
I've been outraged by all of Trump's comments. The difference with his comment on Islam is that he suggested all Muslims are banned from the US .

I'd be just as outraged if he had said the US should ban all people with disabilities / people of colour / etc.

It was more the nature of the comment than the group it was targeted at. It was absolutely disgusting.

But let's ignore logic - it's obviously all part of the leftie agenda to radacalize all. :rolleyes: We get commission on every person who joins ISIS, don't you know.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending