The Student Room Group

As a prospective mature student...

... with a complicated academic and well-being history, trying to apply back to university is very frustrating, especially considering if I had recognised my well-being earlier I would probably be studying at my dream university.

It involves finding universities that might meet my own academic standards but that I also meet their academic standards. Emailing and discussing my circumstances with universities that appeal to me to see whether I even stand chance. All the while wondering whether it's just a pipedream.

I emailed one university initially who I'm currently in discussions with. I've just emailed another 4 to explore my other options.

However, this neglects to mention the other factors involved in picking a university. What the locals are like, the area, the student union, course structure, the night life etc etc. Which is very difficult, full stop.

TL;DR Don't know which universities are likely to give me an offer due to my circumstances and don't even know which university would best suit me either.
Reply 1
Original post by alexs2602
... with a complicated academic and well-being history, trying to apply back to university is very frustrating, especially considering if I had recognised my well-being earlier I would probably be studying at my dream university.

It involves finding universities that might meet my own academic standards but that I also meet their academic standards. Emailing and discussing my circumstances with universities that appeal to me to see whether I even stand chance. All the while wondering whether it's just a pipedream.

I emailed one university initially who I'm currently in discussions with. I've just emailed another 4 to explore my other options.

However, this neglects to mention the other factors involved in picking a university. What the locals are like, the area, the student union, course structure, the night life etc etc. Which is very difficult, full stop.

TL;DR Don't know which universities are likely to give me an offer due to my circumstances and don't even know which university would best suit me either.

Assuming you are applying for mathematics what is your recent maths experience and all relevant maths qualifications?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
Assuming you are applying for mathematics what is your recent maths experience and all relevant maths qualifications?

This was more of a rant that considering my circumstances I'm in a very difficult position. I'm speaking to universities that have equivalent offers to what I achieved at A level(mentioned later). But recognise that considering my history that that might not be so easy which naturally is very worrying because I want the best for myself.

Let me preface this by saying I had considerable barriers to my ability to study in the past which were only recognised when it was too late. I'm also incredibly persistent which in this case turned out not to be wise as I had to take this time off to get treatment.

I achieved A*(Maths)A(Further Maths)C(Economics) at A level. I didn't question the C because I got a place at Nottingham so that was enough for me. The barriers to entry I faced definitely included severe sleep issues(making attending lectures consistently difficult), depression and anxiety. And also possibly Asperger's which my last diagnosis session is in 1 week. I didn't even seek help at Nottingham and missed progressing by 2 questions iirc. Then I spent two years at Leicester, first year both years. Where my problems worsened if anything. Part of my problems were recognised then but the Aspergers assessment part especially took a very long time to get to the diagnosis part of which was too late at that point. And only after I withdrew from university, after a misunderstanding with student finance, did I start to get things in order. Receiving medication for sleep issues, being diagnosed for Aspergers and in the new year I'll seek counselling.

Quick Reply

Latest