The Student Room Group

Advice please

I took Biology, Chemistry, maths and history for AS and i'm really enjoying chemistry and biology but i can't stand the maths and history anymore. It's getting to the point where I just can't put the work in as I have no motivation to do so and I just feel like maths and history are getting in the way- I've lost all interest in both of them and i just can't be bothered doing extra exam questions. This combined with the fact that my core maths teacher seems to be worse at maths than some of her pupils has, as far as i'm concerned, left me with two options;

A) Resit year 12 with different subjects that don't involve so much writing and can actually be taught by the teachers

B) Switch colleges for year 13 in the hope that the teaching's better for maths and try to rescue my currently failing chances of getting my maths A-level

Currently I'm leaning more towards the option of resitting year 12 as I believe the main problem to be that I hate half of my current subjects but I would still appretiate some advice on which of these options is preferable..

Cheers
Reply 1
Hiya :smile:, I would say that it all depends on what you want to do after A-Levels! Do you have a particular Uni course/apprentaship in mind? If so what do you need to get in to that course and will maths or history help you? Plus, you'll be able to drop a subject after year 12 and you never no you may end up enjoying either maths or history towards the end of the year!
Thus i think it'd be better to stick it out for a while longer, find some motivation even if it is the thought of dropping the subject at the end of the year and only consider resitting if you are really failing.
As for switching collages is it really worth it for one year? I would focus on builiding a relationship with your current teachers, maybe going to other maths teachers for help instead. Plus, have you thought about getting a tutor for maths or extra lessons. :smile:
Good Luck :smile:
Its good that you like bio and chem . Ask your department tutor now if there are any options to change courses/teachers ?
For now stick it out- you have no other choice .

Quick Reply

Latest