The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
did you get rejected from any uni's? i ended up doing health and social care at uni but it's not what i expected, we don't do any social care work at all..it's all health care which i'm not interested in! i really do want to be a social worker, i've thought of many different career options but it always comes back to social work...one of the uni's i applied to suggested i take a year out and get more work experience but i was so keen to get to uni that i just went for any course, but i really regret it now!

i did the btec national diploma in care, so i had work experience at a residential home with the elderly and at a college with students with learning disabilities..as well as a few weeks in a nursery and working for a few months in a youth club...but i was only 17 when i went for my interviews with a lack of confidence..so i guess it's everything mixed into one...but they're never really specific with what they want from students!

does anyone know anything the postgraduate in social work? do you have to do the undergraduate degree to get onto it, or can it be anything related?
no u dont have to do the undergrad degree to do the post graduate......and from the post grad u become a qualified SW too......i suppose in the interview u just need to show u have a passion for the career and u know what issues there are within the career

i got rejected fron Demonkfort...they didnt even offer me an interview so i guess the thought my personal statement was poo!....they too suggested i should join their foundation programme to get more experience but i thought nahhhhhhhhh if that was the case and i didnt get into any unis id prefer to do an access course

U have about the same amount of experience i have where did u apply? pehaps applying sumwhere else and an EXCELLENT personal statement would do the trick
Reply 22
i applied to the university of gloucestershire (who said i should get more experience - but yet thought i'd be a great social worker at the same time..), hertfordshire, kent, UWE (who never offered me an interview), bournemouth and portsmouth.

i had 5 interviews so i guess my personal statement (along with reference i suppose) was good! UWE were interested, they sent me this form in the post, was really tough, loadsa hard questions on it but they never wanted an interview.

at uni now, i'm at the campus where they teach social work and i'm always seeing wall displays about social work, it's just a constant reminder of what i couldn't have! no one at college who applied for social work got on either and i know it's a very competitive course..most people who i met at interviews were mature student (like in their 30's and above)..so i think it also might've been my age but then i speak to people like you who are also young and managed to get on! it must've been the way i came across in the interview, like i said, i didn't have much confidence (never had an interview before uni ones) so i really did not know what to expect!

hopefully i'll be able to get on to the postgrad in social work then otherwise i think i'll be a bit stuffed with getting a job out of the degree i'm doing now...hoping to get more work experience in the summer so hopefully that'll raise my chances of getting onto the postgrad!
awww yeh....this time u shuld apply to some other unis too just incase like the unis that offered me interviews were wolverhampton, uce, birmingham, nottingham trent and coventry....u might wana give a few of those a go
Hi, i still havent heard from my uni :s-smilie: hope i do soon, if i dont im gona try and get lots of experience and try again next year. Whats an access course and can you do that alonside a part-time job (20 hours)?
yeh i should think so.....its a course that is 1 year long (probably a bit less) and basically it provides you with access to uni (in a chosen subject)....i knw ur in cannock but i dont know any colleges around there to direct u to but u shuld be able to do it at any college......but il give u a link to the college im at just so u can read up about it just incase.....ud most likely do Access to Humanities / Social Science http://www.sutcol.ac.uk/CMPage.aspx?pageid=111&SubjectID=18&DirectorateID=2&directorateName=AdultLearners&scttp=18

also i hope u hear from them soon and im glad ur still willing to try again nxt year should you need to
i got a letter this morning inviting me for an interview, yay :smile: what a relief! gota worry bout impressin them at the interview now lol :smile: thanks for all your help again! interview this wednesday :s-smilie:
awww wicked do u know if its a grp or individual interview
I tried to get onto the Social Work degree course last year, I got interviews @ UWIC and UCE and only UCE gave me a place, I tried to defer til this year and they said no. So I reapplied again and this year got an interview for Glos and UCE, Glos said no and I have a place @ UCE but just waitin to hear from UWE.

I personally think, the more experience you have, the better and I also found that age went against me alot!!!

Just take a year out to gain more experience in the field and you hopefully should be alright.

GD
The 1st book they told me to buy when i got in on my swk degree was Trevithick, Pamela Social work skills. So you should perhaps have a peep at that but to be quite honest i hate the book. Lol! Alison Brammers good and a easy read if u want know anything about social work law. Also Adams et al. critical practice book is nice. Though dont buy them, they should be in ya college library or just go to the uni library and look at them in the library (they usually dont let you take them out until you are a student). You could just be cheeky and have a look at the swk section at the uni, nothing stopping you.
hey and dont worry about not applying for Staffordshire, thats like my rival university, im at Keele. Not just saying it cos of that but Staffordshire are a sham or so ive heard. The class sizes are a lot bigger and everyone talks and you cant hear the lecturer. Which is a must cos its hard going doing a social work course. Its no easy ride believe me. Ive worked my bottom off for the last 2 years. They really push you at my uni and we tend to have more essays and exams than other unis, think they like torturing us lol! Keele is a lovely uni to look at tho, if u are considering anywhere else. Nice campus and lovely ppl but i would say that im one of them. Hope you get on alrite, let us all know. If you want know anything else, im ya person. Nitey nite xxx
i've been rejected left right and centre and then both birminghams said yes... i nearly fell of my chair i was so sure i had fouled the birminghams up! Group interviews were a lot of fun and i dont have a whole heap of social work experience but the mature student and mother angle obviously did the job :smile:
tabs where else did u apply?......my gosh im surprised....i thought u were good and had alot of views im really surprised other places have rejected you
i have been offered at place at wolverhampton uni for social work yay!!!! do i have to sort out my busaries and things out now? also would anyone suggest for me to have a student loan on to of the busary? im not sure if i will need it? any advice? thanks
SWS well done on getting in, i cant advise you personally but i've applied for everything, just in case! But sort out your bursaries and finance asap, the sooner its done the sooner you'll hear from them, i'm having the loan purely because childcare and travel are going to cost me a small fortune.. but it depends on your own expenses i guess..

Unis i applied to... wolverhampton ... they said no almost straight away
coventry .. didint even grant me an interview and this had been my most wanted uni until i saw birmingham
northampton... offered me social policy on the basis that social work was full but i didint want that
leicester... sent me a nice letter telling me they would offer me a course on how to get in to social work for 2008 (basically a bit patronising and a no)

but hey ho birminghams the one for me cos i loved it on first sight
yeh i agree with tabs, im applying for the whole lot too. and Congratulations, what was the interview like? i applied for wolverhampton but i didnt go to the interview in the end becuase i had already got my places at the 2 uni's i wanted
Hi thanks for the replies, how do you apply, is it online? the wolvo uni interview was ok, i was really nervous so didnt get to say as much as i wanted but it was one-on-one with a female lecturer (who was lovely) and she asked me a list of questions from 6topics, eg. why do you want to be a social worker (and then from that topic she would say why do you want to study at wolvo uni) etc. i thought it went ok, but wasnt sure i would get in because the course is so competative and the others that were there for the interview we mainly 30+ so i was worried they would think i was to young 9being 19) and inexperienced but i am so happy to get on the course :smile: (just gota tell my work now which im not looking forward to as they have been really reaaly good to me!) :s-smilie:
awwww hopefully they will understand.........is ur place unconditional then?

Yeh u can apply online -----> http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/

the interview sounds as if it was quite relaxed and nice :smile:

download and apply for ur bursary here ---> http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/swb.htm

and then any additional info u should get from ur uni :smile:

So what fields do all u wanna work in?....i want children and families (adoption or fostering)........and i will try child protection too at some point when i have about 2-3years experience behind me
ahh straight to the child protection for me... but that being said we'll see i'll probs change my mind by the end.
thanks for the websites :smile: i think i too want to work with chilldren and families, my boyfriend is a learning mentor, he works in a school at walsall, and when he talks bout helping the children i no thats what i want to do, i think fostering and adoption is where i wana work (my mom and dad are just going through the fostering process now as they have been wanting to foster children for some time now, so that will be a great experience for me :smile: child protection scares me alittle as i have heard from a few people that those who work in that field in depth only last a couple of years as they find it too distressing. im looking forward to the placements though as you dont pick the area it will be interesting to see if you enjoy other areas like menatl health etc im so excited to start course :biggrin:
Reply 39
Hey fellow social workers. SWS congrats on getting in.
Just wondered if u have looked at the bursary stuff yet? i was under the impression we got tuition paid for PLUS a bursary of aprox £3000. Me and my friend dowloaded the packs and it appears we only get the bursary- no tuition fees. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest