The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Scroll to see replies

I have my interview tomorrow for social work at UWE!
Original post by paigehunter
I have my interview tomorrow for social work at UWE!

Me too!
Ahh! Are you nervous?
Original post by paigehunter
Ahh! Are you nervous?

Yeah a lot :frown: are you?
Original post by Hannahkates1992
I have got mine at chester in a few days time, have you got any advice?

How was it?

I have mine tomorrow.
Has anyone had interviews at Southampton, Bristol or Sussex?
Here are 21 questions that will get you thinking about your Social Work interview at University. Whilst this is not an exhaustive list, it should give you an idea about the type of things to expect and the areas you need to practice.

Basic questions
Tell us a bit about yourself?
Why do you want to apply for this course?
Why do you want to be a Social Worker?
What experience have you got that will help you on this course?

Medium-level questions
Tell us about a time when you have contributed to a team?
What skills do you have to make you an effective social worker?
What is your greatest weakness?
Tell us about a piece of work that you are proud of?
What skills do you need to have to make a good social worker?
What books have you read to prepare you for this course?
Tell us about this University and this course?
What recent news stories are relevant to Social Work?
What are the biggest challenges for Social Workers?
What challenges do you think you’ll face as a Social Work student?

Higher-level questions
Dealing with stress: How do you deal with stress and what mechanism do you have to cope when under pressure? Tell us about a time when you were stressed? How did you deal with this?
What is the relevance of a good assessment?
What is the importance of working together?
Can you give a working example of the anti-oppressive framework?
What theories would you take into this role? What research have you used to inform your practice?
Can you tell us about some recent legislation that impacts on the Social Work role?
And please drop me a message if anyone needs any information, advice or guidance to do with interviews.

My name’s Vince and I’ve worked in Social Care for seven years. Alongside my experiences in Social Work, youth work, careers advice, education, housing support and young parent’s projects, I have the following academic qualifications:

Social Work (Masters)

Child and Family Studies BSc (1st Class hons.)

Health and Social Care (Foundation Degree)

Post 16 Tutoring (City & Guilds Level 4 distinction)

Education Studies (Certificate of Higher Education)

I’m a current and practising HCPC registered Social Worker, working full-time in Child Protection services for a Local Authority.
I am also a qualified Post-16 tutor and have been a member of the Institute for Learning for 3 years (membership number: AF009303).
Original post by dannhardy
Has anyone had interviews at Southampton, Bristol or Sussex?

I have an interview at sussex in 2 weeks. Will let you know how it goes. Apparently it's a group and 1:1 interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 529
Hi there,
Am having my interview for MA social work next week at Birmingham uni, can anyone give me an insight to what to expect and how the interview look like, also about about the test. I am a bit nervous now
Original post by covtee
Hi there,
Am having my interview for MA social work next week at Birmingham uni, can anyone give me an insight to what to expect and how the interview look like, also about about the test. I am a bit nervous now

I had mine for the undergraduate degree on the fourth. They tell everyone that no one is allowed to discuss the details of the interview as it gives others an unfair advantage. The tip I'd give is to keep up to date with community care articles on social work X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 531
Oh thanks for the info. I will do that.
Original post by covtee
Oh thanks for the info. I will do that.

How did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by covtee
Hi there,

Hey, I had my interview for MA at Birmingham in Feb and the interview/test etc. is exactly the same for both BA & MA.

I found the whole day very structured and they explained exactly the kind of thing they were looking for in the test, I actually quite enjoyed the interview! Very relaxed.

Have you had yours yet? If so, how did it go?
How long did it take for a reply?X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laidljod
How long did it take for a reply?X

Posted from TSR Mobile

It only took a week for Birmingham to reply to me..
Original post by Sophie_14
It only took a week for Birmingham to reply to me..

I just got an offer today 💁

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got an offer today 💁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!! :-) do you think you'll accept there?
Original post by Sophie_14
Congratulations!! :-) do you think you'll accept there?

Thank you! I'm waiting to here from bath and have still got an interview at UWE to go, it's so hard to make a decision but Birmingham is so great! Is birmingham your first choice?X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I'm waiting to here from bath and have still got an interview at UWE to go, it's so hard to make a decision but Birmingham is so great! Is birmingham your first choice?X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is really hard to decide. I really liked Birmingham, but went with Warwick in the end as it suites me better as its close by etc. for placements as well.

Good luck with your other interviews :-)

Quick Reply

Latest